1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Karl Malone Is Pissed at the Jazz!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I thought this might be already posted, but I couldn't find it anywhere...

This is great!:D

Malone peeved 'Miller was involved'

by Miki Turner

If you bite a big dog when he's down and out it's very likely he'll bite back.

That's exactly what injured Lakers forward Karl Malone did Wednesday night at Staples Center when he took extreme exception to a skit performed by the mascot of his former team, the Utah Jazz.

Speaking in front of a small group of reporters in the Lakers' locker room prior to LA's game against Seattle, Malone calmly, but sternly expressed his anger over the incident that took place between the first and second quarters of the Jazz-Lakers game on Saturday.

The mascot (a bear) held a mock telephone conversation with a Malone impersonator over the Delta Center's public-address system that went a little something like this:

"Go tell Larry [Miller, the Jazz owner] I want to come home," the faux Malone said. "I don't care if Stock ain't there. I want to come home. They're mean to me here. They don't give me the ball. They don't like me."

As the crowd cheered, faux Malone added: "But, I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko--."

Malone, who was in Arkansas visiting his brother and nursing a right knee injury, was not amused. Lakers officials said Thursday they don't expect the 40-year-old Malone to be able to play until mid-to-late March.

"I had said that I wasn't going to say nothing about the Jazz, but that was no class from that organization. I was there for 18 years. Not only was I surprised by that, but I was surprised that Larry Miller was involved in it.

"That kind of stuff there is like pathetic. If an athlete would have did that, we'd have been talking about it for the rest of the year on SportsCenter."

Malone said he'd received an apology -- sort of.

"Their apology to us was from the bear," Malone said. "He called my wife and said he shouldn't have done it. After 18 years? It's something I'll never forget. It's bull----. I used to have friends in that organization, but very few, of course."

Word about the incident reached Malone through some of his teammates. He said after hearing it, he knew he had made the right decision to leave Utah. Malone took a tremendous cut in salary to join what he hopes will be a championship team. He has not received an apology from Miller and says he doesn't want one.

"I know the chain of command," he added. "For someone to pull a skit like that they have to get it approved by the front office. And he got approved because the bear told us he got approved to do that. For Larry to be involved in the skit is just bull----. I would never do that. And to talk about another athlete, it's bull----.

"They don't know [Kobe Bryant]. This is a great kid. And for them to put that out there like that or say that about him, that's disrespectful. And I will never, ever forgive them for that ever in my life. ... In the end, I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that and whatever you do, make sure this goes out on the wire. I want them to read this because I left there saying I was going to be nice about things, and I have. But I'm just getting started.

The one thing that did amuse Malone about his former team was news that the Jazz are planning to erect a statute of the future Hall of Famer outside the Delta Center.

"Really? I can't tell them where to spend their money," he said.

2. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

It's a good thing they don't enshrine a player with a team in the basketball hall of fame, otherwise I would love how that would be played out.

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I cant stand his ass anyway.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I can't believe we didnt do such a thing to Scottie Pip

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

he's so full of ****. he wont forgive them, for really a dig on LA, the lakers players, and kobe, but he'd accept a statue of him.
    what a ****ing idiot. go on and cry you dumb ****.

6. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Karl Malone is a jackass, but that Utah skit was pretty bad. He was a fixture in Utah for 18 years -- ripping on him in his first visit back is pretty weak.

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

F-Karla - the world will be a better place when he and Stock pull a Thelma and Louise and drive his 18-wheeler off the side of a mountain.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If there is one person in the world I truly truly hate its Karl Malone. Screw him.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Clutch the Bear would never back down from anyone. Except maybe a seattle two man trap.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Would be hilarious if Malone elects to go into the HOF as a Laker because of this. Not sure that's legal though.

11. droxford

droxford Member

Gee- who woulda expected that kind of behavior from Utah?

-- droxford

12. Manny Ramirez

I showed this article to my boss and he was like "What did he (Malone) expect? He was with them for 18 years and then leave to try to win a championship. There are going to be some hard feelings."

And then I slowly realized that the feelings that the Jazz fans (most of them) have towards Malone were similar to the ones I(and many others) had towards Olajuwon when he left to go to Toronto before the 2001 season.

Ah, those were the days - every thread in the GARM was about Hakeem and how much of a traitor he was! Right, Freak and ZRB??:p ;)

13. spydermex

spydermex Member

Yea we shud

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

NBA Hall of Fame players do not have a team association on their busts.

15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

that skit was harmless. it was actually complimentary to malone, basically saying they wanted him back to play for utah (crowd cheering when fake malone wanted to go home).

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't care if you like Karl Malone or not, that skit wasn't harmless, it was bush league and pathetic, and it shows that Utah is a pathetic joke. I can't believe I'm defending Karl Malone, but for all that man did for that organization, for them to treat him like that is sickening and childish. And Malone said he would never forgive them for it and I don't blame them. That skit wasn't made to make it seem like Utah wanted him back, they made that skit to embarrassing him and try and make a fool out of him, and to drag one of his current teammates into it, talk about unprofessional. The Utah Jazz organization made clowns of themselves on national T.V., so at least some good came out of it. You can't compare this to Hakeem leaving, because the Rockets organization actually did a dedication to Hakeem later, and didn't try to embarrass him. And Utah basically forced Malone out the door by admitting they weren't going to contend for a title, but rebuild. So why would an 18 year veteran stay on a rebuilding team instead of going for a championship? You can spin this anyway you want, the Jazz organization is classless.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

he's so full of ****. he wont forgive them, for really a dig on LA, the lakers players, and kobe, but he'd accept a statue of him.
    what a ****ing idiot. go on and cry you dumb ****.

He didn't say he would accept a statue, he sarcastically said he can't tell them where to spend their money. If he told them not to build the statue then the same people calling him a crybaby for allegedly accepting the statue would call him a baby for NOT accepting the statue.

18. Manny Ramirez

ZRB,

You quit posting as RocksMillenium NOW!!:p ;)

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree with RM. I hate Karl Malone, but the Jazz skit was stupid, mean-spirited, unprofessional, and uncalled-for (Kobe bit). I think Malone's more mad at the cheap shot at Kobe, and I would be too. I have no love for Kobe, and I don't feel sorry for him. However, it's one thing for fans to pull stunts like this. For an organization to do so is shameful.

For all the posturing that Dream and the Rockets did in their disputes, the organization never did anything immature like that.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Can we all just agree on two things?

Karla Malone sucks.
    The Utah Jazz suck.