1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Chip Brown has been talking about this for a couple days on ATX radio. He is the one that "broke" the story. I didn't post it because it's Chip Brown and there is legitimate wonder at how much of the things he says are true.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Broke the story??

There is a tie in at that bowl and the two teams both have sub-par records I'm confused.

3. Brando2101

Chip Brown is reporting that the SEC will not place A&M in a bowl vs Texas because they don't have anything to gain and a lot to lose. A&M has the recruiting advantage as one of the premiere programs in Texas and they don't want a UT/Big12 win to get in the way of that. They also won't send LSU because LSU has been able to recruit Texas really well in the last couple years.

It's chip brown so take it with a huge grain of salt.

4. Major

Major Member

In the Big12, Bowls have a sort of pecking order, where the Texas Bowl gets the 4th pick (or 3rd, if none of the Big12 teams make the playoff). But in the SEC, the conference works with the bowls to place teams however they want - so the bowl has less say and the conference has more say. According to Chip, the SEC doesn't want Texas to have an opportunity to beat A&M and hurt A&M's head-to-head recruiting battles. Who knows whether it's true. I imagine there will be a lot of pressure by the bowl itself because there's a ton of money at stake - that game would sell out overnight and garner huge ratings across Texas.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I agree with you, and I'm sure many others on this thread would also agree with you. What if Wickline was more involved in play-calling (if he isn't already)? He seems to know the spread and hurry-up offenses well.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not that I believe Chip Brown, he's obviously not credible, but I wouldn't be mad at the SEC for ducking UT. I just don't think they care that much, not when it would be good for TAMU and the state as a whole.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Saturday, Sept. 5: @Notre Dame
    Saturday, Sept. 12: Rice
    Saturday, Sept. 19: Cal
    Saturday, Sept. 26: Oklahoma State
    Saturday, Oct. 3: @TCU
    Saturday, Oct. 10: Oklahoma
    Saturday, Oct. 24: Kansas State
    Saturday, Oct. 31: @Iowa State
    Saturday, Nov. 7: Kansas
    Saturday, Nov. 14: @West Virginia
    Thursday, Nov. 26: Texas Tech
    Saturday, Dec. 5: @Baylor

#5207 J.R., Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  8. Brando2101

Should be fun playing Cal and Notre Dame. Hope Cal doesn't get moved to Dallas.

9. Major

Major Member

Are they talking about moving the Cal game? That would be ridiculous - that would leave only 5 home games, one of which a lot of people can't attend (Thanksgiving).

10. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

If this means anything. Paul Finebaum said this on his show:
    "I was in college station last week, sat down with regents, talked with Sumlin and AD officials.. A&M will take on texas anytime.. Including thanksgiving night in regular season .. So I don't care what is being reported from other sources"

11. Brando2101

I have not heard anything but I didn't know the UCLA game was going to be in dallas until the last off-season. Was that announced ahead of schedule?

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

lol. What a stupid statement by Finebaum. Even if the statement is true, what the hell does he expect them to say to a member of the media that, for some reason, people listen to. What a clown. He should stick to reporting about Charlie Strong losing the locker room and other mistruths below the AD level.

13. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Gonna be in South Bend for the Notre Dame game. Can't wait!

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It just means that Pawwwl's listeners are generally across the board dumb enough to not understand how the SEC Big Daddy selects who goes to the bowl game, not the hired help like Sumlin.

15. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

paul finebaum would say anything to protect the secsecsec..

we will see if they stand by the anytime statement because it's looking more and more like the two bowls they could play in are both big 12 vs sec..

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yfHbJEf5j2c?list=UUFINGaivm4gMWK-UFqNwZvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. vj23k

How's everyone feel about the game Thursday? I feel about how I did against Baylor. I think we'll lose, but we'll play them close. 'Nother moral victory to take into next season.

Frankly, I'm happy that we made it to 6 wins. Getting the extra month of practice for the young guys and potentially take some momentum into the new year with a bowl win would be huge. I wouldn't mind a bowl matchup with a sec team, but I really hope we don't get paired with Arkansas.

18. Buck Turgidson

TCU wins by less than 28.

Texas will score in this game.

Arkansas running game vs. Texas D would be fun. I want aTm though.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're winning this one.

The UT Karma is strong now, Hoops, Colt McCoy, Matthew McConaughey

[​IMG]

20. vj23k

Bold of you to step out on a limb like that. :cool: