1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mark Berman] Ryan Mallet has injured pectoral muscle, could miss a few games

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No he didn't; Mallett called the play at the line to counter the Bengals' blitz, which isn't a bad call. Unfortunately, Maualuga recognized the checkdown and blew it to smithereens.

There are way too many people in this forum who just spout straight-up nonsense. That was 100% on Mallett; well, 90% - let's save some for lack of execution.

Some days, the other team is just better. The Browns, who we d-stomped last week, ran all over this same Bengal team two weeks ago. It happens.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Um, BOB admitted the play call came from the sidelines already. It was his call.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like how people are spreading out percentages of blame amongst the team lol

Go Texans!

4. Remii

Remii Member

It's ridiculous to have that play in the game plan in the 1st place with a quarterback who is no threat to run... It's a terrible call.

And according to the Cincinnati player _ they've easily spotted tendencies in the Texans offense and was able to counter their game plan. Which may have something to do with the Texans not being able to run the ball. It makes the offense job much harder when the defense knows what's coming. There's enough blame to go around for everyone... Even O'Brien because he designs the game plan and he's been tipping his hand to the defense.

5. Hey Now!

Since you obviously didn't click the link I provided, here's what Maualuga said:
    Nice of BOB to take the hit for his players but that's all it is; QBs call plays, based on defensive alignment, at the LOS.

6. Hey Now!

Having a standard stretch running play requires a running QB?

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is an interesting take...apparently this loss has caused some people to go full r****d.

8. Remii

Remii Member

In that situation... Wouldn't have hurt. And the play didn't work. Lol...

9. Hey Now!

Ah, well - I stand corrected, I guess?...

This isn't extraordinarily hard. Rey Mauluga - who blew the play up - details what happened. A running QB make negative-zero impact if the other team knows what's coming. Some of the takes in this forum....

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is it not possible that BOB gave him the call to check down to?

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure, it wouldnt hurt to have a running QB...but it also wouldnt have helped at all. The speed of the QB during a hand off/running play is insignificant.

12. Remii

Remii Member

And if the other team knows what's coming _ doesn't some blame fall on the person designing the offensive game plan...? And it makes me wonder if Cincinnati knew what was coming that play _ they may have known what was coming on other plays throughout the game as well. But Mallet gets all the blame and O'Brien gets known... Some of the takes in this forum :grin:

I was referring to the threat of the quarterback keeping the ball and taking off and running with it. Not the speed of the handoff. Fitzpatrick would have been more of a threat to keep the ball and run out the weak side so the defense would have probably respected that threat instead of them all going to the side Blue was running to. Still a dangerous play call regardless of the quarterback in that situation. Most times you just see coaches bang it up the middle to give the offense some space.

13. Summer Song Giver

You don't run towards the sideline in your own endzone, ever. The play call was irrelevant.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've kept myself out of this thread.....just too depressing.....being a Houston fan....meh.

Only thing that was truly left to be excited for was to see how Mallet was going to do....now this. Football gods hate us.