1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They are also the flagship school of their state, unlike Sam Houston or sfa.

They are basically an FBS school playing in the FCS.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Game of the year to this point in the SLC is McNeese @ SELA this week. A McNeese win puts us in the driver's seat and gives us the tiebreaker against them, SELA and SFA. We should still get the nod if we beat Central Ark who is off this week and comes to Huntsville next week. I'd like to presume we'll win at HBU this week.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Couple of interesting SHSU-related links from this week.

First, a piece on Grantland about Georgia Southern, the team that Willie Fritz very well may coach to a conference title in their first season in the Sun Belt. LINK

Second, a piece from Huntsville Item beat writer Paul Tierney on a topic we've talked about in this thread (or perhaps a different SHSU thread), the watering-down of the SLC due to additions like HBU and UIW and the lack of the athletic funding needed to compete for schools like Nicholls. LINK

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Looks like the SHSU/HBU game won't be on live, but a recording of it will air on Monday morning at 9:00am on some regional fox sports channels.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

There was a game? Did anyone tell HBU?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Apparently not. I felt bad for HBU when I saw it was 28-0 five minutes into the game.

Of note - our big game next week will be on Southland TV. Although you should go to the game if you can make it. (I'll be at my in-laws' all-day family reunion, missing both this game and the Rockets/Mavs. Sigh.)

I have no idea what needs to happen for SHSU to make the playoffs, but according to the random and unofficial site NoBowls.com, we're currently slated to play San Diego in Huntsville in the first round. See bracket below.

[​IMG]

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We need to win (obviously) and sfa needs to beat Northwestern State. That will give us the auto-bid over SELU, I believe. If we win and sfa loses, the auto-bid goes to SELU, but we can still get an at-large bid. All of this is assuming SELU beats Nicholls State, which they will.

I don't want to rely on an at-large bid. A lot of committee members still hold that CSU-Pueblo loss against us (even though Pueblo has only lost 1 game in the last 2 years).

Bottom line is we need to beat CenArk. Something we haven't been able to do for the last few years. I have family coming in town Friday night, otherwise I would surely make the trip to Hunts-vegas.

8. leroy

I believe we're in if we win this week. I'd rather the auto-bid, too, but I'll take it in what was supposed to be a transition season. Hope they get a home playoff game or 2. I move back to The Woodlands next week, so getting up there will be easy.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They moved kickoff to 12:30

So what channel will this be on? KUBE is showing the VaTech game at this time and still has the SHSU game scheduled at 3:00pm.

Please advise!

::EDIT::

Looks like watchespn.com is the way to go.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2100111/

#389 Haymitch, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  10. leroy

Is it just me or does the "Central Arkansas" on the front of their jerseys make them all look like they have saggy t***?

11. leroy

C'mon you stupid lumberjacks. We're doing our part. You do yours.

#391 leroy, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If the first playoff game is in Huntsville, tickets will go on sale online shortly after the show.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

SELA @ SHSU 1pm Nov. 29th.

I already have my tickets.

Weather is supposed to be great. Be there if you can.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I suppose it's only fair that SELA and SHSU play in the playoffs since they missed each other in the regular season.

Can't really overstate how big it is that this team made it into the playoffs. It would have been easy to close up shop after the CSU-Pueblo loss, but they kept at it.

15. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Sam and SELA should officially make this game the Southland Conference final along with it being a first round playoff game. No need for co champions!

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Not that polls matter anymore...thank God for the FCS playoff system! But the Bearkats are up to #19 in the latest FCS Coaches poll.

17. leroy

We've been really playing well of late and, if we get through SELA, have a good shot to get to the semifinals...which would likely mean ND St. Then again, SELA is no slouch. This will be a really good game. Glad we got it at home. Hope there's a good crowd for it.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Eat 'em up!

Not a pretty win, but I'll gladly take it. Our defense was great today.

Sucks that Keshawn Hill couldn't play. Not sure what his injury was, but it had him down big time. He even refused to talk to his mom about it. I have no idea if he'll be available in a week.

Hopefully Jared Johnson can put together a better game at Jacksonville St.

19. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Great win today! We are the real Southland conference champs, glad the FCS set it up like this. They should make SLU put co champs while were allowed to use just "champions" on the banners

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Big win for the guys.

A conference championship and advancing in the playoffs...not bad for what was assumed to be a rebuilding year.