1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Down 1-3 Can mean absolutely nothing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperBeeKay, Apr 28, 2008.

1. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Rockets are down 1-3 to a Utah team that is not DOMINATING, but rather just getting by.

Sure, the Rockets are struggling offensively, but so are they, scoring much much less then what they averaged in the regular season.

Rockets are still in it, being 1-3 is a tougher position than being 2-2 but then Rockets have the next 2/3 games at home, with a win in Utah under their belt (a loss as well I might add).

I thought from the start that the Rockets were sluggish in the game, and I thought we should have attacked the rim more like in Game 3 and draw UTah players in foul trouble, and make Utah play to their heels. In every game each team has lost, the team has SHOT HORRIBLY from the free throw line... this is case with the Jazz loss, and with all 3 Rockets losses... I really believe TMac and other guys need to take time to practice their jumpshots and FTs seeing our defense on big men like Kirilenko and Boozer have been somewhat positive.

The matchup I am very intrigued about is the Jackson vs Korver. I think this matchup is actually more favorable for the Jazz because Korver can shoot lights out, and I think that Adelman shouldnt keep Jackson in as a 2.

This next game is a DO or DIE. I wont state any of my gut feelings seeing they are insignificant to other people, but I think the Rockets will bring out an intensity and a shooting rampage thats going to surprise and overtake the Jazz.

~ SUPER

ps- My first thread I made as a member :p

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

First, congratulations for your first thread! :)

This is a very good thread. I agree with you "down 1-3 can mean absolutely nothing". 2/3 games will play in houston. All we need is to win one more game in Utah.

3. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Down but not out. Let's protect the home court and steal one on the road.

4. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

being down 3-1 is nothing really. just win that ONE home game (game 5) and then all the sudden the jazz don't have such a huge cushion. the pressure will be on them to win in 6 at home

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well, it means two things: if you lose another game the series is over, and if you win three in a row, you win the series.

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

history is not future

7. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

SOLID is solid :cool:

8. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

The problem is that there is no margin for error... and we can't make free throws, among other things.

9. battousai

battousai Member

i agreed, we should focus one game at a time.

I have always said this with the way jazz playing hard defense, we should exploit that option and draw fould on their players more often.

too bad the refs are letting the jazz win by no calls.

I would like to see landry play more mins with Tmac. Let tmac find landry and landry with quick catch and score or get fouled by them.

landry has the better FT than anyone at this point.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

which is why I said that was our problem and that we needed to fix that

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

congrats.

some of us are to stupid to earn it and must buy it.

12. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

if tracy mcgrady doesn't mind taking over in the fourth and committ more in his freethrows, why should we care?

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

You dont know if he doesnt mind, they double him when he drives, and his shots arent falling so he obviously isnt going to settle for an outside jumper is somebody like Ak47 with long arms is guarding him..

In addition, if he takes too many outside shots as you suggest, Im sure people would say hes a "Ballhog" and doesnt know when to pass :rolleyes:

TMac needs to run into the defender to draw fouls and practice FT, OR he needs to work on that jumper

14. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

When did I say he take too many outside shots? he only averages 3 pts in the fourth quarter in the entire series!

15. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

The key is getting this game. I think if we can get it to game 7 we will win.

16. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

In the end your position in the series after game 4 may not mean anything. But if the Jazz win the next game, it means that we put up a decent fight, unlike some teams in the first round, but we just were out matched in the end. The Jazz then are the better team vs a Yaoless Rockets period.

What we can possibly look forward to as fans after game 4, is that this team has not reached it's potential and we are shooting the ball poorly from the field and free throw line. Can we turn it around and reach our potential? I don't know but thats the beauty of a 7 game series. The best team will eventually win. That's why the Suns beat the Lakers in 06 and the Pistons beat the Magic and we beat the Suns. The best team finally shined and took control of the series.

I don't know if the 08 Rockets are that team. But I for one think that Utah cannot play much better than they are. But there are alot of if's with us without Yao

If Scola and Landry give us production we improve our chances.

If our gaurds shoot 40% we improve our chances(that's not alot to ask for)

If we make 7 or more 3's we improve our chances

If we shoot 70% from the line we improve our chances.

If tmac puts his stamp on the 4th quarter in any way(defensively, scoring by making free throws, scoring by shooting well, or getting alot of assists) we will most likely win.

If the ifs are in our favor we have a decent chance to win the next game and possibly the next 3 regardless of being home or away. This is also why the Jazz took four of the final five games against us last year and the Cavs took the final 4 against the Pistons even though they were down 0-2 and underdogs on paper. The Jazz and Cavs showed as the series progressed, they were the better teams. But if none of this happens we lose Tuesday. Let the series play out and then we can reflect on the team and see where they stand at that time.

#16 tanviraman, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  17. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

When you said he doesnt mind taking over...and the only way tmac can take over is by taking more shots because in the 4th, the things hes mostly done is set up his teammates because of the way they play D on him

18. feihung316

feihung316 Member

CONFIDENCE! that's what they need, and hopefully they have it after what i consider a pretty good 2 game stretch at utah.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

A 3-1 deficit is a lot easier to overcome if you started the series with home court advantage. See the Pistons of '03 coming back against the Magic(T-Mac can attest to that) and the Suns of '06 against Kobe and the Fakers. Interestingly enough, that Suns team was also missing its All-Star big man that season.

The Rockets can come back against the Jazz. Games 5 and 7 would be tough, no doubt. But the only truly difficult task is winning again in Salt Lake City.

20. Erichstolz

Erichstolz Member

I think after game 3....we got a huge confidence boost....barely lost game 4, so we know we can beat these guys at their house. But, we do have our backs to the walls, and the pressure of "cant lose" may be too much....we'll have to let our veteran leaders get the young guys to settle down in game 5. LETS GO!!!!