1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just An Absolutely Terrible Win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Nov 23, 2012.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I really really hate to make a thread like this right after we blowout a top team in the NBA (recordwise anyway), but seriously this win just defines mediocrity and inconsistency. The entire second quarter I think we "ran" like 10 plays in a row where Harden just brought the ball up and then went in looking for the bailout call while the other 4 just stood around. We ran maybe one set play even though we had only a few fast breaks. The rest of the time, our half court set consisted of Harden iso and NOTHING else. No cuts, no picks, no screens, no nothing. Either Harden hits the shot or is bailed out and gets to the FT, or we lose the possession empty handed.

On nights when Harden is going off, this will work, but more often than not, as we have seen this year, this simply is not the case. The whole approach of the coaching staff seems to be "give the ball to Harden and noone do anything else". While I'm a proponent of this sort of approach when it comes to guys like Kobe or Durant, Harden just simply is not on their level. This kind of "offense" at its worst can stunt Harden's development and create bad habits that will become more of a hinderance once our youngsters develop and can contribute more on both ends.

I hate hate this kind of approach to the game. It has no place in any organization looking for long term success and quite frankly stunts the growth of every other player who is not a perimeter camper. At best, we will win lose 3 games for every 2 we win continuing the ISO ball approach. I'm not concerned with anyone's stats except the W-L column and I just think ISO ball is the byproduct of lazy and inept coaching.

I know how it is, I'll be called a hater but face it, as great as this in was, Harden had even better games in the beginning of the season and look where we are now. My original prediction for this team was a barely sub .500 team, but if it continues like this, I'm gonna lower my expectations for 25-30 games. I hope I'm wrong and maybe *gulp* McHale will right the ship when he gets back because his offense does run more set plays. Much as I love the fast break, let's face it, that style of play has never won anything on a consistent level. Even the Lakers in the 80s had a halfcourt game.

1 person likes this.
  2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

3. NatrlBornChemis

I kind of see what you're saying, but just bask in this win a moment man...Our team is young...they've only been together for a few games...and this is not the coaching staff of the future...

Just watch the RAW Talent that is on display...every player on our team is RAW

4. gah

gah Member

Take your pills and go to bed, it must be the New Yorker in you.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Another lof mad at harden.

6. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Cool story, brah

8. hotballa

Just to be clear, I don't even think that Harden is being used to the best of his abilities by dominating the ball so much. This volume scoring he's doing is, I believe, being forced on him partially by a lazy coaching staff that didn't get the memo that we have a young team that we're supposed to be developing by getting them touches and getting them used to running plays and not playing playground basketball. Harden has a VERY complete game that is put to waste by the way he is being used.

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I see where you are coming from but man, just enjoy the win, no need to rain on the parade.

10. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

5 Star Thread.

11. hotballa

I was teed off for the entire second quarter. Hard to get that taste out of your mouth no matter the outcome of the game. I worry about the long term success of the team.

1 person likes this.
  12. novaman

novaman Member

Tonights gameplan was sound. Jason Kidd is an old man and can't guard Harden. So why not exploit the weakness?

13. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

THREAD OVER. I also hate that you started a new thread for this.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Jeez, calm down people. This is why so many Texans forums have gone downhill. When the team wins and somebody has any sort of criticism, they are immediately shut down and called "haters" and bad fans, etc.

1 person likes this.
  15. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

The team will build chemistry and our offense will look smoother with time. If not, but I think it will, then that is coaching problem.

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

That being said, I think calling this Just an Absolutely Terrible win is a bit too far

17. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

It shows the teams capabilties more than anything. On our best day, we can rout the best of them.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

horrible win. of course. you're so right :)

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I'll let you fill in the blanks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member