1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Reason why the Rockets will be a different team come playoff time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrick, Mar 11, 2007.

1. derrick

derrick Member

I have been on the Rockets bandwagon. When Tracy's back looked like it would not recover, I said the rockets would win. When Yao went down, I said the rockets would win. Now, Ill give you three reasons why the Rockets will get out of the first round.. and surprise a top team in the West.

Reason #1: Jeff Van Gundy

It's funny how fans yell fire Van Gundy after the Rockets loose a game. To be honest, in the opinion of most guys in the locker room, Van Gundy is probably id the biggest reason why team has been successful. Players that play for him will tell you he is the most prepared coach they have ever played for. Jon Barry said" The biggest thing that separates Jeff from other coaches is if the other team farted, Jeff could tell you when it would happen, how it would smell, and in what direction it would travel (that’s pretty darn funny). Jeff is a great defensive coach. Although he is not the most gifted offensive coach, he has made the team adjust its offense to the personnel on the floor. That’s what coaching is all about.

Reason #2: Shane battier and Luther Head

Three point shooting is the key. It can hurt or help the Rockets. The fact is, the Rockets will get a lot of looks at the three. They have to convert on these... and they will. They have two of the most consistent and clutch three point shooters. Enough said

Reason #3: Tracy McGrady

It's not his scoring ability.. It’s the passing. This guy can the move the ball where he ants it to go. It's like having a point-forward on the floor. If he stays hot, teams might double team him... and that’s when he will start to throw the ball to chuck or whoever wants some points.

Reason #4: Hunger

Tracy talks about it all the time. The rockets never get respect. TMac ha never made it out of the first round. It WILL happen this year!

I could go on and on.. but I'll let you guys continue

2. armyman789

armyman789 Member

btw ur sig is incorrect it should say hakeem olajuwan is the best thing that has happened to the rockets. On topic though if we are to pass the first round we need to continue to let Tracy be 1a and Yao 1b just because of the fact that if tracy isnt 1a he will get cold and go back to the tracy that shot 40% earlier in the season. Remember tracy's game is based on "being in the zone" he is primarily a jump shooter so his shots must be falling in order for him to be effective. Also yao is a post player so most of his shots are lay ups, dunks, and hook shots so you can afford to not feed yao for long periods because he will always make those shots. And if the ball is in mcgradys hands longer he will make the right pass to chuck or shane or luther. If we do all this our offense wont look as forced as it was earlier in the season, just dump it to yao and see what he does with it.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

You said you had 3 reasons, but you gave 4...

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I expect the Rockets to play well in the playoffs. The problem is that they're going to be facing teams that should also play well. Utah, San Antonio, Phoenix -- we'll be playing one of those teams (likely Utah). All of them are playing great right now.

Let's just be realistic. The Rockets might play great and still lose in the first round. It will suck if it happens, but if we recognize that as a possibilty perhaps it will cushion the blow.

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Man everytime i think about it I am so glad we got Shane. What a hard working, classy pick up he is!

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I'm pretty confident we'll be able to beat whoever it is we face in the first round, unless we manage to fall all the way back to 8th (not gonna happen).

1st reason: Tracy. The man is a monster in the playoffs.

2nd reason: Yao. The dude is flat out dominating now.

3rd reason: Team. Defense, chemistry, clutch shooting, versatility, coaching, it's all there.

7. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

remind me someone, how is this different from 2 years ago

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Good thread-I like our chances. I treally think Yao and Tracy will catch another gear this playoffs. Juwan will play without turnovers. Rafer will deliver the ball and not throw it away. Shane and Luther will hit their 3's.

Somebody will surprise us - I hope it is both Bonzi and Kirk Snyder and play really strong and over-achieve.

Healthy - I hope we are playing better and better as we enter this stretch run....

Go Rockets!!!!!

BTW - I think we have a fine coach....

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

2 yrs ago, i dont think yao was dominating nor was he a superstar. he was VERY inconsistent, primarily b/c of foul trouble and fatigue so he couldn't stay on the floor for 38-39 mins. that yao is COMPLETELY different from now.

this yao is more confident and wants to destroy. u add that yao to the playoff tmac => :eek: :) :D

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

We will make it far in the playoffs if we don't get the same ref treatment that we did last year. Rarely will I say that a game was decided completely by the officiating, but that one was and it cost us the second round.

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The biggest ? to me about the playoffs is how Luther Head wil perform. This'll be his ffirst postseason and i wonder will he be overnervous. Young guys and palyoffs aren't always the best mixture.

12. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

check yao's game logs vs the mavs in the playoffs 2 years ago and that's a big difference. we are expecting far more consistent performances this time around.

and i wouldn't count on shane and luther to knock down those open threes in the playoffs. i hope they do, but i'm not betting on it. same with rafer. shane's 3pt shooting percentages go down significantly in the playoffs.

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly one game yao was great playing 35+ mins, next game he scores 11 pts playing 22 mins. we won't see that unless yao can't adjust to small ball as well.

14. FFz

FFz Member

our point guard isn't running on a broken knee and we got two good scorers off ten bench in head and bonzi. Plus our defense is a lot better with battier replacing wesley.

15. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yes i still remember the midget wesley getting owned by stackhouse.

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

because we won't have Ryan Bowen at PF for godssakes!

17. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Reason 1: Defense
    Reason 2: Low Post Scoring
    Reason 3: Explosive playmaker/clutch shooter
    Reason 4: The 3 Hs: Hustle, Heart, and Hunger

That is what makes the HouRox great :cool:

18. Yao11

Yao11 Member

hopefully something like this will happen

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/luBrkc2m9cI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/luBrkc2m9cI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

AS long as it doesn't end like that series did..........

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

only if every moment in life was like that, that'd be it