1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Toronto signs Biyombo to a 2-year, 6 million deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by omgTHEpotential, Jul 4, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free agent center Bismack Biyombo has agreed to a two-year, $6 million deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/617386843697344512">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. malakas

malakas Member

what a bargain. I am mad that ujiri convinced him to sign there and for so little money. Casey won't even develop him. I hope the second year is an option lol Btw next year Val is a rfa i think. Could be interesting what happens.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Good price for a serviceable big.

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Thank God he didn't get to the Spurs.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Great project backup big. Good for Toronto. They lost Amir Johnson, right?

6. malakas

malakas Member

yes. but they would probably renounce him anyway. They wouldn't pay him his market price.

Now the one remaining is sweet lou. He realllyy wants to stay in toronto because of the lifestyle. (i know it sounds funny but the raps fans treat all the players like huge celebrities. it's crazy)

Bizz has the worst touch of the league and can't dribble a ball. But still. it's so few money.

1 person likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A flaming bust. I LOLed when Biyombo was compared to Ibaka when he is nothing like him.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good God, I should have shot myself up with a whole bunch of HGH before my bones fused. In what bizarro alternate universe does throwing millions at scrubs like this on a second contract make sense.

If there was ever a"drop the mic" argument for eliminating the max salary, this is it.

#8 Ottomaton, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. omgTHEpotential

That's 3M/year. Almost a minimum salary for good defender (leaps and bounds better defender than TJones and it's not even close). Good deal for Toronto.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh how I wish I were 6'9" with long arms and "potential" ie, not skilled at anything.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

$6M for Yobimbo *laugh*

How is this a bargain???

A wooden door costs just $700 at Home Depot.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

6.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 19 minutes a game would indicate that there is something there to work with. If he were getting starters minutes that would parlay into some pretty good numbers.

13. omgTHEpotential

Funny, but not true at all.

Biyombo offense (2014/15):
    Average PnR Roller offense
    Very bad Post Up offense
    Very good at Put Back offense

Biyombo defense (2014/15):
    Elite ISO defense (only 22 possesions)
    Poor PnR Roller defense
    Above average Post Up defense
    Elite Spot Up defense

Elite oppoenents FG% differential - opponents FG% plummets against Biyombo as opposed to their season averages.

On/Off offense
    On: 97.5
    Off: 97.7

Of/Off defense
    On: 98.7
    Off: 102

All in all, he's not some total scrub. Has some skills, more on the defensive side though. Offense very limited.

14. spark06

spark06 Member

Biyombos defense is legit legit. Lookin like great value.

15. jogo

jogo Member

That's a great contract for Toronto. 3 mil a year for a backup C who can play Defense? Crazy good. Yeah, he can't play offense but that's not his role.

16. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

This dude is 22.

22!!

It feels like he's been in the league for years.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's OK given "the market". The problem is that the market is bat s**t crazy.

I see absolutely no proof at all that he will ever be anything more than a tall athletic guy playing basketball as opposed to a basketball player. Do you really have "potential" if you never develop any real skills?

TJones is what he is, but he is more than just the winner of the genetic lottery.

#17 Ottomaton, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  18. omgTHEpotential

I actually don't like to use the word 'talent' when it comes down to physical gifts, because those can decline, so in a sense I agree with you. I was just referring to your previous post. Even without any improvements to his game in the next 2 years, Toronto got a good value for 3M/year in one of the toughest positions to fill (C).

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've said this many times before: Production per minute stats are often complete trash. There is a reason Biyombo didn't get "starters minutes" on a scrub team. The "value" here isn't bad because his salary is so low.

Nobody has any idea what would happen if he played "starters minutes" in meaningful games. Maybe we find out next season in Toronto, maybe not.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

u guys must have not seen him play or compare him to ibaka. he's a rebounding machine and freak athlete. he's worth a little more than 3mil per.