1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think I have food poisoning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Sep 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Woke up this morning feeling nausea and since then I've been throwing up and pissing out of my ass every 15 minutes (sorry TMI). I tried taking something for the nausea but I threw it up. My girl is running to CVS to pick me up some Imodium for the other stuff. Any suggestions on how to deal with this crap? I don't have a fever, so that's a positive. I've been trying to keep down water but it just comes back up within a few minutes.

Perhaps eating buffalo shrimp at Hooter's yesterday was a BAD idea. :(

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

umm, mylanta usually works.

Also, pepto bismol will help coat your stomach.

3. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

If you are having trouble holding anything down you will be very dehydrated in a short amount of time. I had food poisoning last week but was not throwing up and I kept drinking gatorade and water to battle the dehydration and still became very weak. If it contiues you may need to get checked out. Good luck.

4. Poloshirtbandit

My roomate had food poisoning and the only thing he was able to hold down was Jello and Gatorade. Anything else he ate he would throw up a few minutes later.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I would be very careful about eating at restaurants around Houston after they get power. There are no telling how many managers that want to squeeze a buck or two by not throwing out all their food, or if power went down and came back up, not knowing if it ever lost temperature in the first place.

That being said, Pepto Bismol is the best OTC medicine for food poisoning and other stomach ailments. The bismuth actually kills the bad bacteria as well as the other compounds treating the symptoms. Most other stomach medicines treat just the symptoms.

Also, let yourself "drain" out a little bit before stopping yourself up with Immodium. Immodium is a wonder drug, but you want to let your system clean out a little bit.

6. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give your stomach a rest and don't drink anything for about 4 hours from when you last throw up. Then take small sips of Gatorade or water (ie one ounce every 15 minutes) for a couple of hours and then slowly increase the volume of clear liquids. If you're still vomiting, you might want to call your doctor for some antiemetic med (like Zofran or Phenergan).

No solids today. If you don't keep down liquids, you won't keep down solids. Add bland, starchy foods in AM if no more vomiting (crackers, plain toast, plain noodles, bananas, plain rice, etc).

You have to take a 1/2 step backwards, before going forward. If you try to take a step forward, you'll go 2 steps backward.

(I'm a pediatrician and I see this stuff all day).

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

Nonsense... He isn't going to die of disease or infection, but he can die of dehydration if he doesn't stop leaking.

8. Landlord Landry

isn't shrimp full of iodine?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go to the hospital and get IVs.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thank you Houston Native. I appreciate the advice.

11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Incredibly important. Your bowels are breeding grounds for bacteria (mostly good - but the ones that give you food poisoning also thrive in there) so if you're not careful, taking the immodium is just going to stop the natural cleansing process, and provide optimum conditions for everything to multiply and make you worse, and then you won't be able to "flush" everything out until it wears off.

12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

hope you feel better!

i'm worried now...i had lunch yesterday and today at restaurants. let's hope tomorrow i don't wake up throwing up. :(

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are you sure its food poisoning? I went through the same exact thing yesterday, although I had a 102 temp. I didn't eat or drink anything till later on that evening. I know several people going through the same thing.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I once went to Hooters and asked the waitress "what's good?" Her reply....."honey, we're not known for our food."

:D

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

well i spoke too soon. I now have a 101.2 fever. Awesome.

#15 Harrisment, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  16. AGBee

AGBee Member

There's lines going out into the streets at every open fast food place I see. I think I'll be waiting a while before I go eat something that may have been unrefrigerated for a few days.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Could be some sort of bacterial issue. You ought to call your doctor.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I took some aleve and laid on a couple heating pads and fell asleep. I mostly drank gatorade. Once your fever breaks, down something soft, like soup. By tomorrow, you'll feel like a champ.

In the peak of my fever, I got my truck stuck on a culvert. I spent 3 hours in the cold, misting rain trying to get it off. It could be worse :)

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

GATORADE. I'd say GATORADE. It's what's most helpful when I dehydrate. Also, you can buy some ELECTROLYTE pops at Walgreens/CVS. Gatorade always helps me and my kids when we get 'the runs.' :eek:

If there is a fever, you most definitely need some antibiotics or suppressants. See a doctor, brother. :(

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Happy Birthday?