1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard & Gortat vs Howard & Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Jul 27, 2012.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

From what I understand, Gortat and Asik are pretty similar players (please shed light on any relevant diffs - I haven't seen much of either player). It's also my understanding that Orlando played Gortat and Howard at the same time for some stretches. When they did this, who guarded the 4? Were they successful? Could the Rockets do the same thing with Asik if they trade for Howard?

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Gortat even when Howard's backup had better offensive game then Asik.

Pairing Asik and Howard together would be like Ibaka and Perkins, granted Howard's game is a bit better but essentially you'd have two liabilities in the front court if the refs don't send Howard to the foul line.

1 person likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Howard can at least catch the ball and dunks. Howard doesn't have any offensive moves, but he is a positive on that side of the court.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

As for Gortat vs Asik:

Gortat >>> Asik offensively

Asik >>> Gortat defensively

Howard plus Asik COULD work situationally, Asik would guard the opposition 4.

5. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Rather have Gortat. Asik is definitely the better defender but I am not sure if he can avoid foul trouble and if he can play extended minutes. Gortat is better offensively, we know he can handle starter minutes, and he averages a double double.

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Well, this sounds like bad news. Would like to see us trade for Howard and keep Asik, but don't see us paying $8M for 12 mins a game. Wanted to find a way to get them on the floor together for 10 mins a game.....

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

If both were to come they would find ways to play them both together. When you pay someone 8 million dollars a year it is with a commitment that he will get significant playing time (even if he doesn't start). I am sure Asik was given assurances of playing time. And many would be surprised how much influence management has in determining playing time.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gortat is Alonzo Mourning to Asik's Mutombo.

I'm down with Asik, but he and Howard would be a spacing nightmare for the coaches (our coaches, not the other team's).

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I don't see Asik being anything like Gortat.

10. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Gortat is miles better than Asik

wow you just dissed Gortat big time

Gortat was only a backup because he was backing up the Best C in the game. Gortat and Joakim Noah are on the same level

11. VBG

VBG Member

Gortat is not on Noah's level defensively

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

My gosh, if we had those two playing in the front court at the same time, our team wouldn't score for crap. Two of the worst FT shooters in the league!

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

When he was on the Magic he was an insane shotblocker, and played pretty good D

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I disagree, Noah before his current head coach made the rest of the team play NBA leading defense was a slightly above average center at best which is essentially where Gortat was at Orlando with Van Gundy.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol..... Zo and Deke are chuckling at their respective places

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think they're all on the same level:

Gortat: Really solid offensive and defensive game
    Noah: More defensively oriented but makes up for it with amazing hustle and bball IQ
    Asik: Extremely defensively oriented

If you put a gun to my head though I'd probably say Noah is the worst of the three, and Gortat's the best because he has the most experience. Asik's the youngest though so if I could choose I'd choose him.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Gortat and Howard would be a more viable tandem just strictly based on the fact that Asik doesn't spread the floor like Marcin does. Doesn't matter though because we'd never be able to get Gortat from the Suns.