1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When we re-sign Landry, does Mutombo follow?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OrangeRowdy95, Sep 24, 2008.

?

Should we bring back Deke?

1. Yes, I want to sex Mutombo

61 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. No, bring back the versatile and seasoned Mike Harris

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

With Yao, Hayes, Scola, Landry, and the additions of Artest and Dorsey, the Rockets have lots of bigs. Point guard is obviously an area of insurance, so one new point guard will likely get a roster spot (Stoudamire, Armstrong, or Strawberry). Mike Harris looked good in Summer League and management talked highly of him.

IMO, it will come down to Harris vs. Deke, because if Rafer goes down again this year, we will need all the insurance we can get, and I'd personally feel much more comfortable having Stoudamire run the team than Brooks or Francis.

Discuss.

2. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

bring back Deke because of his leadership and his finals experience. we need someone that Artest will respect and i dont think Yao and TMac can get the respect because Artest has done more in the playoffs than both Yao and Tmac ever did.

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Agree, bring him back. he is an important piece to our team even if he doesn't play cause he is a leader and a role model. We need hiim back. SIGN HIM ALREADY DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I don't care how old he is, the man is good for at least 8 good impact minutes every single night.

5. carib

carib Member

it would be good to sign Deke, I think its going to boil down to money.
    The Rockets should try to match Landry's offer and they also plan to sign Dorsey by the end of this week according to DM. Will there be money left for Deke?, thats the big question, if there is money left Deke will be signed over Harris.

6. joesr

joesr Member

if we are matching the offer for landry I doubt we will have enough for what Deke wants.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think the roster shaping process is take care of Landry then Deke and that leaves Stoudemire on the outs. Dorsey is already a foregone conclusion that he'll be signed.

SO if Deke signs, Stoudemire is SOL. If Deke does not sign, Stoudemire has a chance but certainly not a lock.

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I'd think Deke is valuable just from a PR standpoint. I don't know how much that directly translates to dollars, but Mutumbo is good for the league as a whole.

9. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

with the money that we'd pay for deke, we are getting a great deal, and his stat sheet last year still looked nice considering how much minutes he got last year.
    let the 41 yr old 2nd all time blocking leader get a ring

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see enough room for all of our bigs.

yao-dorsey-deke
    scola-landry-hayes
    ron-shane-harris

i think the rockets will end up with this depth chart in the front court. this should put the rockets over the LT. which means steve could be bought out to wipe his salary from the cap, or luther could be traded for a TE moving him and his salary from the roster. if either one is gone, we could see damon stoudamire or darrell armstrong sign for the vet min to fill the roster spot.

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

His stat sheet looked more than nice. With his timelessness he inspires the team. What i remember about 22 was Mutumbo holding up the digits to the crowd. For the minimum, and Yao's substantial amount of DNP's, we couldn't have asked for a better secod string center for the last 3 years.( maybe Zo) I think he's more than willing to take the minimum, and get another 1 mil from Les for his charity. He said in an interview he's waiting for the call, but he won't play for free. I understood when we let Hakeem go, but Mutumbo only wants the minimum. I would be very dissapoointed if we let the two greatest shot blockers alltime, just walk.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bringing back Mutombo is the most important thing. He has done nothing but be an impact player when he steps on the court with his shot-blocking and defensive presence. The man is a locker room leader and a great humanitarian. Not bringing back Deke would be criminal.

13. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Bring him back on a 1-year deal. If he's awful he'll either retire or we can cut him outright.

The pluses heavily outweigh the minuses.

Pluses:
    Experience/leadership
    Defense and rebounding
    Big man depth- only other true center behind Yao. Yao will probably miss 10+ games through injury and we MUST have another 7+ ft tall player.

Minuses:
    Take a mill or two luxury tax hit

14. Bigdaddy210121

I don’t see why he can’t sign Landry, Mutoumbo, Harris and Stoudamire.
    My line up is:

1. Yao
    2. Scola
    3. Artest
    4. McGrady
    5. Alston
    6. Battier
    7. Barry
    8. Hayes
    9. Francis
    10. Landry
    11. Stoudamire
    12. Dorsey
    13. Brooks
    14. Harris
    15. Mutoumbo

Then take Head and Strawberry and trade them or release them out right. I personal would trade Head, Strawberry and Hayes for someone. If we re-sign Landry I think it leaves Hayes on the out with Head already out there and if Stoudamire signs the leaves Strawberry out there too. ;)

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets might need another PG if Alston is out otherwise Adelman and Morey both now have mentioned Barry playing minutes at PG.

Head for Diener if the Rockets need another point.