1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Affordable Care Act: Who Was Helped Most

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/29/upshot/obamacare-who-was-helped-most.html

We know that about 10 million more people have insurance coverage this year as a result of the Affordable Care Act. But until now it has been difficult to say much about who was getting that coverage — where they live, their age, their income and other such details.

Now a large set of data — from Enroll America, the group trying to sign up people for the program, and from the data firm Civis Analytics — is allowing a much clearer picture. The data shows that the law has done something rather unusual in the American economy this century: It has pushed back against inequality, essentially redistributing income — in the form of health insurance or insurance subsidies — to many of the groups that have fared poorly over the last few decades.

The biggest winners from the law include people between the ages of 18 and 34; blacks; Hispanics; and people who live in rural areas. The areas with the largest increases in the health insurance rate, for example, include rural Arkansas and Nevada; southern Texas; large swaths of New Mexico, Kentucky and West Virginia; and much of inland California and Oregon.

Each of these trends is going in the opposite direction of larger economic patterns. Young people have fared substantially worse in the job market than older people in recent years. Blacks and Hispanics have fared worse than whites and Asians. Rural areas have fallen further behind larger metropolitan areas.

Women are the one modest exception. They have benefited more from Obamacare than men, and they have received larger raises in recent years. But of course women still make considerably less money than men, so an economic benefit for women still pushes against inequality in many ways.

The Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010, but the law’s biggest insurance expansion provisions went into effect in January, when millions more people qualified for state Medicaid programs, and new subsidized insurance plans sold in state marketplaces kicked in.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is an odd thread, it presupposes that there were people actually helped by the ACA.

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

What more would you expect from the NYT + Enroll America (whose President is a former Obama administration official)? ;)

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

47 percenters.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its silly to say the ACA wouldn't help anyone. The liberal fallacy was that it was going to reduce everyones cost at the expense of the 1%ers. And as we have found with most liberal policies, its always most detrimental to those who fall between poverty and middle class.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/28/obamacare-sends-health-premiums-skyrocketing-by-as/

7. Classic

Classic Member

16.2% rate increase for the wife. Nice.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

My group rate went down for next year. Deductibles the same.

9. rudan

rudan Member

Didn't help me. I am forced to pay for insurance with high deductibles. Meanwhile worthless obama voters get the same product free with no deductibles. I guess it's a win win for the democrats......

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Serious question. Are you playing the Colbert schtick?

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Another serious question. Did it help you?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

2015 and 2014 premium about the same with a bit more benefits added. This is through corporation group ins.

2014 prem (xchng w/o subsidy) is much lower (~30%) than 2013 (individ market) with more benefits for my parent. Haven't looked at 2015 yet.

I'm sure everyone is different since there are so many factors at play (state that decided to provide an exchange vs those that don't; medicare expansion; age; # of insurer in the xchng; ...) and probably some see higher, some see lower and some with no change. I'm also sure plenty of folks will pick the data they want to show to match their views.

The question is what is the overall trends, where is the problem and if ppl are honestly willing to address them (e.g. if Rep takes the senate, I would hope they would think hard about improving obamacare... it's a golden chance for them that likely won't last more than 2 years).

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

mine went up about 15% and then last month i got a letter saying they are no longer offering my plan due to the affordable care act so i have to get a different, costlier one.

were we not told over and over again that if we liked our insurance plan we would get to keep it? were we not told that our costs would actually go down?

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think it was ingenious of Obama to successfully target every right wing tea party member with health care insurance increases... :rolleyes:

15. tallanvor

Why do u say it's just right wing tea party memebrs whose premiums went up? Reports are showing everyone's premium is going up on average.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember how everyone's costs never went up at all before this? They never ever went up when it was all done privately.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Everyone's premiums have been going up for a lot longer than Obamacare has been around. You need to bring something a bit more sophisticated than 'my premiums went up x% this year!'

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Do you want a screenshot of a plan that went up 75%?

Its hard for me to imagine that there are people who honestly believe costs won't go up with some of the regulation changes in each state.

19. tallanvor

I did. read previous post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/28/obamacare-sends-health-premiums-skyrocketing-by-as/

Don't pretend like 50-75% increases was the norm before Obamacare. Also don't call your plan 'the affordable care act' if its gonna drive prices through the roof.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You can keep your plan if it meets the ACA standards. Your plan was probably not a good one and therefor being discontinued because it didn't even meet the standards for coverage. The ACA is going to force health insurers to make better plans.

People want full coverage form liability prices. It doesn't work that way and people walking around with liability are the ones hat will end up being $100,000 in medical debt just because they wanted the cheapest plan. That's the problem with people who b**** about insurance prices.