1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did I just get scammed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joeyyungrocks, Oct 23, 2014.

1. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Houston Police just called me and asked if I wanted to donate money to their shopping for kids program. He said he would bring me police stickers for the car and a receipt for tax purposes. They said to make the check out to Houston Police Dept.

I dont know if it is legit or not.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Call your bank and tell them to put a hold on it. It will cost you depending on your bank's policies. If the donation is less than the cost of the hold, just let the donation go through if you were indeed scammed. :eek: Or, you can just call the HPD and ask if they have such program to verify if it's legit.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Never, ever, ever give out personal information when you receive an unsolicited phone call!
    Repeat this x100! If you didn't get scammed consider yourself lucky, and if you did consider it a lesson learned.

If you haven't given the money yet, follow Swoly's advice!

#3 BamBam, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  4. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

I hate people you try to be nice to them and they take advantage of you.

Anyways I called them back and told them that I checked and we didnt have the money.
    I already gave him the address of my restaurant to go pick it up. I hope they dont try to pull something stupid.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

No...

Sincerely that one guy who said he was homeless on here

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If he does show up, ask him for identification and verification of the program. If it's indeed legitimate, he'll definitely have some proof for you. Also, you can call the police department to see if they have a program like this. How much was he asking for anyways?

7. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

he was asking for 200 bucks for child that needed to be funded so they could go shopping at target.

I said I would donate 200.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Our rule of thumb when we get a phone solicitation:

"We don't commit to anything over the phone. If you send us something in the mail, we will be happy to look it over."

#8 bobrek, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

What's your phone number I need some flash money er I mean donations for idk something sad.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Last time I got scammed is when I thought I ordered a fine looking busty dime from BP and a fat b**** showed up.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Answering an unknown phone number or land line = rookie mistake. Once someone picks up they know they've got a sucker.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Don't worry...we will explain to little Timmy how he won't get his shopping spree now.

You see, Timmy, sometimes people commit to causes and then back out of their obligations. So, no x-mas for you, Timmy. Sincerely, Santa

13. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

What number did they call from? You should be able to do some reverse lookup. But if it was from an unknown number, then yeah, you probably shouldn't have answered

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99% sure that this is legit. The police unions call businesses all the time looking for donations. As soon as you register with the state, you start getting calls. I got a sweet sticker that I believe has gotten me out of 3 or so speeding tickets (cop pulls me over, walks past the sticker, tells me he's going to let me off with a warning, which never happened without the sticker).

You can identify the true scammers because they want things like your social security number over the phone. They will certainly never show up at your home or meet face-to-face. I've nothing specific to a "shopping for kids" program, but what you are describing fits the MO of the real police.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Good luck to the guy going to cash a check made out to the HPD and then strangely endorsed over to the person cashing the check. I would not want to be that guy.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It was probably legit, but what's your routing, checking account and pin and I'll double check it for you.

Seriously, it's probably legit but you can call the police to verify.

17. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Well he asked for my dad and he wasn't here he left a message to my mom and I called him back. He left a 713 number down and he left his name.

18. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

People like you piss me off

Seriously though.. :(

19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

**** the hpd! they should sell one of their useless 100k tanks if they want to shop for children.

20. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

It's legit. The company I work for used to pick up these donations for HPD. They now use a cheaper alternative.