1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster considered leaving football after last year's back injury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Aug 4, 2014.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The back injury that ended his 2013 season caused Houston Texans running back Arian Foster to wonder if continuing to play football was right for him.

Foster provided some insight into what it was like for him to suffer the injury that resulted in surgery for him last season in an interview with ESPN's Hannah Storm.

Storm: When you injured your back, what were your initial thoughts?

Foster: Initially when it happened, you know it wasn't just a regular injury that you play through. It happened just like on a simple routine. I cut and I just felt like my back, this little slip. It was awkward. I tried to play the next play with it too, but I couldn’t even lift my knees.

Storm: Was it scary?

Foster: It is scary. Because you don’t know what it is, especially with a back. A spine injury. You can be paralyzed, that’ll change the course of your life forever. Those are the kinds of thoughts that run through your head.

Storm: Was there ever a point when you wondered about your future in the game? When you thought, what am I doing here?

Foster: Absolutely. Any time an athlete goes through an injury like that -- a back, a neck, even knees or hips, something that puts you out for the entire season -- you kind of re-evaluate your life. You see what's really important. Is getting paralyzed more important than playing with your grand kids when you’re 50, 60 years old. People die on the football field. This is a really brutal sport. Going through an injury like that, being 27 years old, I’m young, still I’m at the prime of my career. Is it worth it to try to come back?

Storm: People just assume oh he’s coming back, he’s making all this money ... they take it for granted. But you didn’t?

Foster: Absolutely not. People start asking are you going to come back next year, how long are you out for? And you’re just giving those cliché answers.

Storm: You had an encounter with Earl Campbell, the Tyler Rose, great Houston running back and it made you think.

Foster: Right, it was a while ago. I saw him. I'm not sure if his injuries were football -elated or not, but everybody knows how physically he played the position and that's why we love him. I admired the way he played the game and I'm very appreciative of how he played the game. Looking at him in a wheelchair and seeing how some of the affects from football are affecting him today and you're just looking at what really matters here. I'm going to walk away when I want to. I'm going to be the best me I can be and you’re going to like what you see. That's the mindset I've taken, and that's the mindset I've carried this entire offseason.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/6713/arian-foster-pondered-leaving-football?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He didn't consider ****. He's like a child begging for attention. Pretending like he's thinking outside the box. Nobody cares. All we care about is if he can run. He's the most annoying athlete in Houston right now.

2 people like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Preach.

He's as narcissistic and trollish as the bimbo he knocked up.

Dude made Arian Foster wristbands.

1 person likes this.
  4. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

He has one EPIC season and now the dude thinks he's above football.

His personal matters aside, he went as far to say Andre was the king of Houston. Nope. He's hit that celebrity status where he has lost touch with reality. He doesn't think like us so why are we surprised when he comes out saying this garbage?

1 person likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm guessing McClain heard wrong?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I'm watching Foster do insightful interview with Hannah Storm talking bout he doesn't know if he wants to return to game next year.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/496380922376093696">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And what the heck does this even mean? He's talking about being worried about the effects of football and walking away when he wants, but we're going to like what we see? I'm not sure those two go together.

#5 RV6, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

He's Royce White plus talent minus some crazy.

Both think they are smarter and more important than they are.

2 people like this.
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

The whole "philosophy" thing is growing thin. He is paid millions to run the ball. Either do it well or find another line of work.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm reppin eerbody over here.

Except RV6.

Also Arian is a douche.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

He's just trying to be the best teammate he can be.

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

How did we go south so fast? :(

11. Remii

Remii Member

I don't see why you guys are so upset with Foster's interview with Hannah Storm. I don't see where he said anything that could ruffle so many feathers. But hate him or not if the Texans are to have success this season they will need Foster... A healthy Foster.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

His back was fine when he was pumping that bimbo full of sperm.

1 person likes this.
  13. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

This. I guess there is the human element involved, but seriously - millions of dollars to play football. Shut your trap & run the ball.

We don't pay out the butt at games to hear his abstract philosophies.
    Which haiku did he write about knockin up randos?

For the record, I was always more of a Ben Tate fan...

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, don't really get it either. A player considering whether a sport is worth his well being and future is nothing new...

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Embarrassing. ESPN does interviews with athletes every day, they interview Foster and you guys attack him. I'm not defending Arian either, I'm just shocked at how some Texans fans talk about him. Lol at "you're paid to run the ball!!!!" like that's all his job description is.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He's just trying to be the best teammate that he can be.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't know Foster gave speeches at the games :confused:

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

What's the update on his baby scandal?
    Forgot to follow on that. Is the baby his?

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jesus, WTF is with this extreme hate. Has Arian done something unforgiveable as a player that I'm not aware of?

Arian has always had some douchey qualities, but you guys seem to be getting very worked up over a pretty meaningless interview.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should've definitely added pass protect, catch passes out of the backfield from time to time, and motion out of the backfield to split out wide.

I think Arian ran hard to get paid, got paid, and then wasn't all-in. I get that he's concerned about his body breaking down on him, and that is his right. If he wanted to be year-to-year, he could've done that by signing one-year deals. He can't have it both ways, and I think, unfortunately, that's what he tries to do a lot.

All that being said, I hope he has a H-U-G-E bounce back year, because a lot of what we'll do on offense this year will be predicated on him being healthy and productive.