1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Senate, 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Oct 6, 2014.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The biggest fear with a Republican President... nominating another Thomas or Scalia type SCOTUS judge that would further push the Supreme Court to the far right. Since SC positions are lifetime... the US would likely not recover from it...

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think this is just liberal nonsense.

They aren't going to impeach Obama and they aren't going to shut down the government.

As for repeal of Obamacare, they may send a bill to the president that does that, but it won't actually happen because they will never be able to go over his veto.

4. justtxyank

It's not possible really.

I honestly don't know how to vote right now.

I lean conservative on a lot of issues, but I fear a conservative majority that is handcuffed by their extreme positions.

I personally think a republican majority in the house and senate these last two years is going to create a real war in the Republican party. When members of the Senate no longer have Harry Reid to blame for why they won't vote on some of the issues sent out of the house...hold on to your butts.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iaD5_XJl0AY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is one of the reasons it would be good for Republicans to take the Senate.

7. Major

Major Member

I think it would be interesting to see play out, but I'm not convinced that the Senate GOP will have anything different to deal with. They won't be able to blame Harry Reid, but they can still blame Dems for filibustering all the crazy. So in effect, they still won't have to vote on any of that stuff in a way that would result in bills ending up at the White House.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know if it really going to change much. They won't have a super majority. Unless the Dem suddenly acts like angle and won't block, it's pretty much the same game except now they can bring up more bills for political points. I'll take that over them going crazy (e.g. shutting down the government over obamacare). It's interesting nevertheless to see what will happen.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

not all bills require 60 votes

10. Major

Major Member

They do if the Senate leadership wants them to. And when trying to avoiding having to take on some of the House GOPers crazy stuff, it makes for a convenient way to not deal with it - just lets the Dems filibuster it.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Depending on their appetite for brinksmanship, Dems could choose not to filibuster and dare Senate republicans to vote.

12. justtxyank

Seriously, if the Republicans will pass some terrible bill that comes out of the house, the senate dems can just let it go to the president for veto.

They wouldn't have anything to lose.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure, the president already isn't very popular and if he has 2 years of vetoing everything that comes to his desk it's going to make him even less popular as "the president of no" who is preventing anything from getting done. If the president loses the house and senate, he'll have to work with them, as he says, elections have consequences.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He doesn't have any more elections to win, so I'm not sure if he'd care about hits to his popularity. If he's a good little soldier for the Democratic party, he'll take as much blame as possible so the Dem congressmen don't have to.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with that is that they'll just make the election about him, the Democrats successfully did that in 2008, the Republicans will certainly go that route in 2016. Democrats could very well lose the senate this election because of how unpopular the president has become, 2 years of vetoing everything in sight could make that even worse in 2016. If he's smart, he'll go the Clinton route and moderate his stance, work with the other party, and take credit for anything good that comes out of it as if it was his idea.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Republicans win the senate this year and watch the Dem tidal wave in 2016. Americans will have seen two years of republican dysfunction.

Anyway, I'd almost give up the senate to see McConnell lose (oh, and Walker in WI)...almost. I'm still not convinced it's a done deal.

17. rudan

rudan Member

That would be a good thing for the country, doubtful he would do such a thing.

18. rudan

rudan Member

Me neither. Went to vote the other day and saw a ton of democrat drones. They are out in droves. For what, I don't know.

19. Dubious

The defense of sanity? Embarrassment over the asinine level of discourse that passes as meaningful politics in the GOP? Frustration with the obstruction of the serious business of government like filling Judgeships, Bureau Heads and a Surgeon General? A desire to move ahead to the 21st century not back to the 18th. The protection of people over corporations, the environment over profit?
    Tired of the paradox of astroturfed social issues to cut the taxes of the 1%? Tired of the putting stupid MFer's like Cruz and Ghomert up to represent the People of the United States?

That could be it.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:colbertnation.com:a29e6927-a7c8-460a-a835-e612883d8d03" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/">The Colbert Report</a></b><br />Get More: <a href="http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/">Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/indecision">Indecision Political Humor</a>,<a href="http://www.facebook.com/thecolbertreport">The Colbert Report on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

#119 Dubious, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  20. Dubious

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538
    Final forecast: GOP has a 76% chance of winning the Senate, Dems have a 24% chance of keeping it. http://53eig.ht/1rMPY5W
    View summary 0 replies 280 retweets 58 favorites