1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Did the Houston Rockets get better by subtraction this summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J Sizzle, Aug 28, 2014.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...rockets-get-better-by-subtraction-this-summer

Nothing really new, but good write-up on the Rockets offseason.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

How about the part we lost 2 of our 3 play makers?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I said it before, addition by subtraction.

1 person likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nice article.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nice writeup. The Rockets REALLY need Dmo and Canaan to make big steps forward for things to pan out. Although, if Canaan can shoot 38%+ from three and take care of the ball that should make up for losing Rin. I'm confident Jones will take the next step.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

One was a turnover prone play-maker who lost us a playoff game.

The other was replaced by a two way player with a better corner 3 %.

1 person likes this.
  7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I definitely agree that another play maker is needed but I would argue that was needed last year too. You don't want to depend on Lin as a playmaker on the floor if you like going to the playoffs and winning.

8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

That stat about the effectiveness the Harden-Howard-DMo line-up was very surprising. If DMo can step up and become a consistent role player, it makes Jones all that more expendable.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Lin was better in his role than many gave him credit for. He was a solid defender and the team was 2.3 points per 100 possessions better defensively with him on the floor.

------------

Really? wtf?

2.3 pts better as compare to whom? Bev? are you freaking kidding me?

10. AvgJoe

It's funny to discount a player's play-making role with one mistake he made. Yes he made one crucial mistake that eventually cost us a game, but same can be said with one of those many missed baskets by any of the players. Point is he was an important play maker for the team especially when Harden wasn't on the floor. We lost him and Parsons and now we rely on who to do the play making if we want Harden to have energy to play defense? Bev? Canaan? Ish?

11. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I don't think the rockets would have signed Parsons even if none of the other stuff happened thanks to that contract he signed.

12. omgTHEpotential

I think we actually became legit title contenders, on Spurs level. We still need some time to gel, but I think 1-2 seed in the west is very realistic. I'd say Rockets will be first but I learned not to write the Spurs off.

I'd say the Rockets will reach the WCF at the minimum. Realistically, they will be in the finals against Cleveland. It might go either way then.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sorry, but that's BS. Their starting 5 may improve defensively thanks to Ariza replacing Parsons, but beyond that this is a worse team. They lost Asik and replaced him with Joey Dorsey. They lost Lin and replaced him by bumping Canaan up in the rotation. They lost Casspi and replaced him with Papa. And Daniels will probably take Garcia's minutes(except when we play against Kevin Durant).

So basically the Rockets' fortunes this upcoming season are dependent upon Ariza duplicating his output from a year ago with the Wizards and the continued improvement of their holdovers from last season. And it's not to say that can't happen. T-Jones took a huge leap in development last year. Bev continued to improve on his outside shot. Daniels is certainly not lacking in confidence with his 3-point shooting. And D-Mo has made strides.

If all of that happens and Harden and Howard stay healthy(with no noticeable dropoff in performance), this will be a better team. But those are huge ifs. And I'm still concerned about the coaching situation with no replacement for Sampson.

1 person likes this.
  14. AvgJoe

You don't want to depend on Lin's play making as a primary option, and we didn't. Harden is, and he will be next season, but we lack of secondary play maker option. What about when Harden is off the floor? Our offense is already considered one dimensional, too much ISO, imagine lack of Lin and Parsons there for the switch up. I don't trust McHale has much of offense scheme up in his sleeves. I just imagine players outside of Harden and Howard would just pass the ball around a few times, then pass back to Harden or Howard and let them do their ISOs.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It isn't just the turnovers but the timing of the turnovers. While Harden turned the ball over a lot in the regular season, he seemed to never do it in the clutch. Lin, on the mother hand, seemed to kill positive momentum for the team with turnovers the way Rafer Alston used to do it with his floater. It creates a perception that is then cemented when Lin single-handedly blows a playoff game (series?) with an idiotic turnover.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

However, there are two guys already on the roster you can play next to Howard. The Rockets were 6.2 points per 100 possessions better than their opponents with Terrence Jones and Howard playing together. Jones was the starting power forward for almost all of last season and will still fit as a complementary stretch-4 next to Howard. The key to the loss of Asik being addition by subtraction will be how Donatas Motiejunas fills the role of backup center.

Hmmm. I did not know this.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Words are wind. We don't know for sure until the season starts.

18. AvgJoe

This although relevant, isn't directly regarding to Lin's play making role on the team. We are now relying on Canaan and Ish Smith now to fill Lin's play making role? Big ifs they are any better or even equal to Lin's ability in that category.

19. arjun

arjun Member

Finally, someone who kind of gets it.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

someone's been reading ASoIaF