1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 4] 49ers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 28, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I've said it plenty of times...Fitz is the best QB on this team and its not even close. These guys aren't all at the same level of terribleness.

2. Raven

Raven Member

No, they could have drafted Clowney and Carr.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like XSF, but I gotta admit, I'd probably rather have Carr. I'd certainly feel a lot more confident about our future at the position if we had gone that route.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'll wait to see what QB we ultimately draft an commit too and give it a couple years before I get pissed off for passing on Carr, Garoppolo, etc. . . For all we know, we could end up with somebody significantly better. Not worth getting upset over at the moment IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree it's not worth getting upset about because no matter who we picked up, Fitz was going to be the starter this year.

6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I said it before. 5 Games Max is what this team will win this year. Just not good...... but I do like some of the unknown players on defense who I think will make an impact.

7. yo

yo Contributing Member

You do realize this was the 4th preseason game of the year, i.e. the guys trying making the team are playing?

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

More upset about not moving up one spot to take Bridgewater. Obviously BOB didn't like him enough as a prospect, if I had to guess it is his size and small hands.

9. rezdawg

I hope you're not judging on this game, since game 4 is the least indicative of a teams strengths and weaknesses. But, given the timing of your comment, you are judging on this game and that's lol.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

The different levels of suck...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Of the 57 QB's w/ at least 34 pass attempts this preseason, Keenum's 51.3 passer rating was the worst. Fitzpatrick's 61.4 was 53rd. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; AdamWexlerCSN (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/statuses/505224236537888768">August 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. rezdawg

We will win 9 games with Fitz...5 or less with Keenum.

1 person likes this.
  12. DJboutit

DJboutit Member

:eek: Your not serious Fitz alone can not win 9 games Texans overall suck there is no way we will more than 5 or 6 games offense and defense both suck

13. rezdawg

Our defense sucks? Lol. You're probably following another team.

If we had top 15 QB play, we'd win 12 games with how easy our schedule is...and Vegas has us favored in 8 of the first 16 games and underdogs in only 5 of those games. Plus, the last game is against the Jags.

Yes, we can most definitely win 9 games.

14. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

well, as a whole our defense can be very good (because our front 7 is very good). However, the secondary at times looks lost and has played relatively poorly in several of the preseason games (which I know you can't look too much into, but it is still indicative of the lack of personnel/talent at those positions (not to mention the lack of depth).

15. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

We've been pussyfooting around drafting a QB...

Tom Savage, in the fourth round, is the highest drafted QB in Texans history since Dave Ragone was drafted in the third round in 2003.

It just sickens me to hear Rick Smith explain how Tom Savage was a value pick.

Screw value, man. Target a damn prospect and go get him already.

16. Cannonball

Well, Vegas has us at 7.5 wins. 9 wins isn't too off from that. Some "experts" predict we're going to the playoffs which would most probably require a minimum of 9 wins. If we do get that far, and I'm not saying we will, then it'll be with Fitz as QB.

Personally, I'm predicting 6-7 wins. And that's with Fitz. With Case, more like 3-4. After tonight, I'm not sure Case even makes it to the season opener. It will depend on what QBs are available on waivers.

17. rezdawg

Every team has weaknesses...sure, our secondary is a big weakness, but we still have a couple good players in the secondary. A lineup of Joseph, Jackson, Swearinger, and Clemons isn't the worst thing ever. The problem is the depth, more so than anything.

I still think we can have a top 10 defense, even with lack of depth or with high end talent in the secondary. That's how good the front 7 can be. Hopefully we can shore up some of these issues from the waivers.

18. Cannonball

I wouldn't say pussyfooting. It wasn't until recently that we really NEEDED a QB. Schaub wasn't elite but he was arguably a Top 10 QB from 2009-2012 and not many thought that the decline we saw at the end of 2012 would carry over to all of 2013 like it did. I wouldn't have expected the Texans to spend a high pick on a QB in those years. And WHO would we have drafted? 2013? No special QB from that draft. 2012? Luck and RGIII were gone. Wilson was available but nobody predicted him to do what he's done. Unlikely we would've targeted him even if we were looking for a QB. Everybody passed on him multiple times. 2011? Well I guess we could've had Kaepernick or Andy Dalton but then we wouldn't have Watt. 2010? Nobody good from that draft either. Bradford was the best and he went #1. 2009? Best QB available when we drafted was Josh Freeman. So you see, it's not that simple.

I believe that the only QB the Texans really thought highly of in this draft was Blake Bortles. And it came down to whether he was worth a #1 over Clowney. Even with our QB situation being what it is, I think that if you polled Texans fans, most would now wish us to have drafted Bortles instead of Clowney.

#398 Cannonball, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  19. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

We TRADED for Schaub. Hence, we've been pussyfooting around DRAFTING a QB since the David Carr fiasco.

20. Fantasma Negro

Winston, Marriotta, Petty, Hundley. Relax dude this season is to build offensive line continuity, there is not a doubt in my mind that one of these qbs will be a Texan this time next year and we will have a respectable squad cause right now there are three barrels of waste at the qb position...Seattle may cut Pryor but if he couldn't learn the Seattle offense I doubt he succeeds in learning OB's offense on the fly. You guys are just gonna have to be patient and endure the process

1 person likes this.