1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Mark Cuban: Every Bit of Me Wanted to Kick His Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 22, 2014.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I appreciate that you actually add information to the thread. But where are you getting these stats? Not many places list minutes in decimal places. basketballreference, nba.com and gotbuckets all show different minutes from what you've got.

I question the RAPM hypothesis. 1) Excluding Carter (37) but not Dirk (36) doesn't have any rationale. 2) Excluding the rest of the roster has no rationale. 3) Minutes played does not match xRAPM. For example, Calderon was 3rd in MP but not xRAPM, Marion was 4th in MP, Carter 5th. . . . Was Carlisle playing the wrong guys? Why did Calderon play so many minutes when Harris' xRAPM was much higher?

Also, gotbuckets shows a different "Combined RAPM," if that is the same as xRAPM. (This is per 100 possessions, and it includes the playoffs.)

Dirk 4.94
    Carter 3.04
    Crowder 1.72
    Harris 1.23
    Wright -0.24
    Ellis -0.62
    Dalembert -0.68
    Ellington -1.34
    Calderon -1.35
    Marion -1.77

Mekel -1.8
    Blair -1.85
    Larkin -2.09
    James -2.15
    Ledo -2.26

Felton 0.34
    Chandler 1.63
    Parsons 0.56
    Nelson 0.65

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So,

according to your numbers,

Felton was a better offensive player than Parsons?

yeah right.

Incoming max contract for Felton from Cuban...

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/
    I believe the site owner, Jeremias Engelmann, is the person who had developed xRAPM. He has been keeping track for more than a decade. People are coming up with their own advanced +/- stats lately but not to be taken seriously.

There seemed to be discrepancy in minutes played. If you are really interested, you should write him an email, which is displayed at the bottom of his site. He usually responds to emails, at least he did with me.

Cuban wanted to sign Carter but the most he could offer at the time was 2.7M. VC went for more money, a 3-year 12.2M instead. Can't really blame him at this stage of his career. It's prob his last NBA contract before he hangs it up.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4702670/carter-signing-with-memphis-stings-mavs

Edit: I assume GM's have their own sophisticated advanced stats gauging players but to a certain extent, xRAPM's reflect on some of their stats. Almost two months into the FA, Marion and Blair are still unsigned and prob looking at vet min or slightly more. VC, in the mean time, signed 12.2M with a team (Grizzlies) who recently embraced advanced stats with open arms.

#163 kuku, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I think treating the Rockets fans like crap played a major role in this also.

5. alethios

alethios Member

[​IMG]

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You forgot to mention that both Dirk & Cuban were wearing their MFFL tshirts but that's a pretty accurate account of how things went down over in Cubanland...

7. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Every bit of me wants to kick the rox ass for their turrible performance in the playoffs :mad::p:mad:

8. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

We can all laugh about this during the season while chandler underperforms

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Agreed. I remember when he was saying how when Harden was out the ball would move better and not get as sticky. And then the next game he was benched :grin:

10. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;If Mark believed so much in chemistry, he wouldn't have busted up a title team..&quot; Morey fires back on Cuban. Column: <a href="http://t.co/iNUlV105u1">http://t.co/iNUlV105u1</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/516508352919400448">September 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Shoots fired! :grin:

11. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

Shots* my bad lol