1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons Improving Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pge71188, Mar 8, 2012.

1. pge71188

pge71188 Member

I like what Chandler is doing in the offense. He is driving more and finishes. His jumper has also been steadily improving as well as his Free Throws. The only bright spot during this losing streak. If he keeps this up, he really will be a solid player.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Chandler is a great passer and he sees the floor very well to go along with a very solid handle. The man has a lot of skills.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is the only bright spot in a dismal year.

DD

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think he's got a ways to go, but i've been impressed with his maturation. I wish he could at least shoot 30% from 3pt range, but he can score in a variety of ways, he's got great vision/ excellent passer, he gives outstanding effort with some physicality, he's a thief and he's got the length to give opposing 3's trouble. If he can improve his rebounding, post game, and long range shooting, he'll be much more than a role player. I hope Morey holds on to him because i think he's got a lot of upside, and i expect him to take another big step next year. I'd sooner trade Morris or Bud at this point.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's getting better and better and his attitude is terrific.

Some things in the game of basketball just grind me to shreds. I guess one of my top pet peeves is when guys don't do the simple box out when the shot goes up. When Chandler sees the shot go up, he automatically looks for an opponent to put a body on. One of the simplest most fundamental plays in basketball but half the pros never do it.

The contrast between how he does it and how a guy like TWill does it is crazy. Here's a guy with all-world athleticism and dude won't make the basic basketball play. Shot goes up and TWill, like half the players in the NBA, just eyeballs it all the way to the rim. I don't understand why a guy with that much basketball experience doesn't rebound different than that. You put Chandler's fundamentals into TWill's body and you got a guy that will give you 12 boards from the guard position. It's absolutely crazy nuts and I want to throw my glass through the screen everytime I see it.

Chandler rebounds for the team. TWill rebounds for himself.

The next thing is simply his movement on offense. He's constantly running, from one side to the other, setting a screen, dropping through to the opposite side, but constantly spacing and balancing the floor but doing it with movement. Once again, if you could put this movement into TWill's body, all those layups Chandler gets would turn into crazy dunks and And 1s for TWill. Chandler has the basketball intelligence and agression that would make a guy like TWill great!

1 person likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Couldn't agree with you more. I do think he needs to shoot better than 45% from the free throw line too!! He did look good last night. I think before that game he was like 28% from the line which was on pace to be a NBA record with his amount of attempts

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think Parsons stands out in any single area of basketball. He is a notch below average in every aspect of basketball with the exception of closeout defense, physicality, persistence, and hustle.

With that said... yeah. Somehow he helps the team. He may even deserve a larger role. A few plays drawn up for him.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he isn't talented, he does things well -- he's just not exceptional in any area. Which is weird to me.

Cheers to Morey on this one.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This hasn't been very dismal. A dismal week, but overall, it hasn't been that bad.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

DD is at it again. Chandler will struggles in the next 10 games :p

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree that he's not exceptional at any one thing except court awareness, defense, and hustle; plus he's a 6'10" SF. But all of those things are harder to teach than the things he does average. Where as a guy like Bud is more athletic and a better shooter; better offensively in general, he's a liability on defense. Parsons is never gonna be a liability. His floor is much higher than Bud's. And becaue things like shooting and post-game are some of the easiest skills to improve with practice (we've all seen it time and again), I think he's got a higher ceiling than most people would give him credit for. He's definately a guy to keep on your roster; i would be shocked it he doesn't continue to improve.

11. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

You do know like a week ago we were in 4th place in the west? Cmon man before this losing streak we were one of the surprises in the west and top 10 in the power rankings. You cant call this a dismal year. Not yet anyways.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Forget about Chandler being a role player. He's going to have a long career starting at the 3.

13. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

His stats since the All Star Break look great. An indicator of things to come:

6 games

28.5 mpg
    10.3 ppg
    2.67 rpg
    1.67 apg
    .83 bpg
    1 spg
    1 TOpg

.585 FG%
    .647 FT%
    .231 3P%

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Just Another Guy. Nothing special, probably isnt even a starter on a good team. I like his size, he's like trevor arizor in alot of ways. He will probably never be a good shooter and never be able to put the ball on the floor more than 2 dribbles. His defense will keep him in the league,but we're not even talking about the next tayshaun prince.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

1st year player, still has lots of time to grow and surprise, for now I like what he brings to the table. Could be a +Starter someday.

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Dismal Week

17. hahachui

hahachui Member

His shoot selection is very good....besides...i can see his improvement in FT...

1 week ago, i was so pissed when he went to the line...i can feel that he would miss two in a row

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I guess. I don't even see robert horry if thats any consolation. I just see a limited,hustle guy.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

didn't he have at least 2 solid drives against boston? Looked like more than 2 dribbles...he's easily a better ball handler than Ariza.

I definitely noticed more movement offensively against Boston. He was cutting more and being more aggressive off the dribble, good stuff.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He is definitely a better ball handler and passer than Ariza. I'd say he is better than Ariza offensively. And probably equal to Ariza on defense.