1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

That angel would NEVER do such a thing.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

George Zimmerman was on NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH. He's not a cop. His job was not to approach or follow Martin. No good could come from him confronting Martin. Martin would not need to comply with anything Zimmerman asked or requested. All Zimmerman would need to do is call the cops and say there is a suspicious guy, exactly what neighborhood watch is supposed to do. Instead, Zimmerman followed while armed and the situation turned deadly.

You make the point perfectly. Martin was stereotyped because he was black and was suspicious (wearing a hoodie). But you'll never get it because you don't understand how hate-filled your post is. It's not about truth, it's about misdiagnosing who is dangerous in our society. Martin was just a normal black kid. He wasn't an angel by any means. But that doesn't mean he wasn't just a normal kid walking home from getting a snack.

3. bigboi

bigboi Member

What does that have to do with this case?

Does this somehow justify him being shot in your mind?

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you never tried any kind of drugs before? cause if you did, you deserve to be shot according to you

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sorry that you are so perfect. I always pictured Jesus to be nicer.

6. SunsRocketsfan

Agree, agree and agree...

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a matter of perspective lets not forget that Zimmerman wasn't an angel either and had been charged with resisting arrest, obstructing justice and domestic violence. Those weren't on his record due to plea deals but neither was Martin's alleged transgressions.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Damn. Wish I could take back the rep I gave Anas acuta.

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

All of Z's issues happened six years ago. M's were much more recent.

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

But I think they are much more trivial offenses. The jewelry thing seems a bit unclear and the weed thing is overblown. The bus driver thing is questionable, but most teens do a few questionable things in their lives. I know I have.

I feel we will never know what truly transpired that night and are now forced to live with this mess on our hands. For this reason we need to figure out how to prevent these situations in the future. Maybe that means reviewing laws in place, maybe it means working on some cultural aspects of our lives, maybe means neighborhood watch volunteers should carry non-lethal means of protection.

Something redeeming needs to come from this path were on with one kid dead and another guy possibly facing life in prison or the needle (don't know FL death penalty laws).

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

All that is irrelevant, since Zimmerman had a right to pursue Martin. Completely irrelevant, non-useful information.

You're jumping to a conclusion, without any supporting facts or logic behind it, that Zimmerman stereotyped Martin due to him being black. Martin may not have been a normal black kid that night -- he may have attacked Zimmerman, as the witness saw.

12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

It is relevant, because the courts/grand jury will determine that while he had the right to be there, the stand your ground statute will not hold because he was pursuing (or at least there is reason to believe that Zimmerman might have pursued) Martin.

What witness? The only person that said Martin attacked Zimmerman first was Zimmerman. Frank Taafe, Zimmerman's friend, said that Martin died because he wasn't honest with Zimmerman. That doesn't exactly jive with GZ's story.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

What statutory provision in FL self-defense law makes you think that following Martin prevents Zimmerman from claiming self-defense? I have seen nothing to that effect. If Zimmerman was pursuing Martin and Martin attacked him with force Zimmerman reasonably believed could cause him serious bodily harm, then Zimmerman could respond with deadly force in self-defense, because it would be unlawful for Martin to attack him under those circumstances. Florida Statute 776.041 expressly allows a person who initially provokes the use of force against himself to still rely on self defense if:
    So if Zimmerman was following Martin and Martin was provoked by this into attacking him, if Martin was on top of Zimmerman and slamming his head into the ground, Zimmerman could then lawfully shoot him because the provoked force was so great that Zimmerman reasonably believed that he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he had exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to Martin. At least, that is my reading of the statute.

1 person likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you really think Zimmerman exhausted every reasonable means to escape danger? At the very least, don't you think he should've been screaming for help? Isn't that a reasonable thing to do?

But as far as we know, the screams for help came from someone other than Zimmerman... And if those screams came from Martin, wouldn't that indicate that Zimmerman was no longer in danger and undermine his self-defense argument?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure why it matters what Martin's history is. Martin could've been a serial killer for all I care. The reason is because Zimmerman did not know Martin's history, and did not act based on his knowledge of Martin's history. This isn't like the police following a suspect due to his criminal record. All Zimmerman knew of Martin at the time of the shooting was that Martin as "suspicious and black."

And before anyone speak of how Zimmerman may be a good judge of character, he apparently also felt some seven year old was suspicious and up to no good. I'm pretty sure he magically see into Martin's eyes and read his history. And he certainly said nothing of the sort to the police when they brought him in.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

edited

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Where did your read that he said the boy was suspicious and up to no good? Is there audio of this 911 call somewhere, too? The police report or 911 log shows:

COMPL ADVD S43 IS WALKING ALONE & IS NOT SUPERVISED ON BUSY STREET // COMPL CONCERNED FOR WELL BEING

Thats a far cry from "a suspicious seven year old up to no good".

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You can find this report on foxnews and many other outlets, but as of now, I can't find any mention of it on cnn.