1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Twin Towers for Game 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItalianRocket, Apr 22, 2014.

1. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I firmly believe TT is going to work against POR. Maybe not starting together, but they definite should see some more time together on the court. It's not like Jones is doing much on the offensive side.

The problem in last game was Asik picked up some quick fouls and couldn't stay on the court.

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

They were killing us on the offensive glass. With TT, that wouldn't happen.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

We tried TT last game. Biggest problem was they both had foul problems so we couldn`t try it for too long. I think we`d be fine on defense, but we always had some problems on offense.

What I am wondering about: why not let Dwight guard LMA and Jones guard Lopez. I know Lopez is quite a bit taller and stronger, but I don`t think he would kill us. Jones is alright against big men and Lopez ain`t really an offensive weapon. And Dwight is probably our best LMA defender.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why dont we try actually getting them on the floor together for longer than 2 minutes before we start suggesting they start the games and play extended minutes in that lineup.

On Sunday, Asik picked up 3 quick fouls in the TT lineup when he came in, and LMA still scored on him easily. McHale obviously wants to see it badly, but he can't force it too much too quick.

I like the idea defensively of playing Asik & Howard together but it looked like a mess in the first 9 games of the year for the Rockets, and was one of the worst lineups productively that the Rockets had this year. Not really a ringing endorsement of the combo pairing.

Still, I think with practice time this week, McHale will do what he can to incorporate the TT lineup in the rotation in the next couple games in spotty minutes here and there, and go from there. However, I wouldn't just start the TT at this point if I were McHale. It would be a clear sign that McHale is being reactionary and clearly out of his league if he is being that knee jerk to the last game to abandon a system of basketball that was downright dominant on both ends after the new year.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm not opposed to this idea. I think it will work against Portland, but even still only in limited amounts. Have one of the two on Aldridge at all times during the game- not Jones, not Motiejunas, not Parsons, not Harden. If one of their perimeter players is getting penetration into the lane, make sure that only one of them steps up to help and let the other one stay at home to try to keep the boards under control.

And please no crap moving screens called!

7. basketballholic

It may be necessary to start TT (or at least migrate to it fairly early) against the Blazers. The TT lineup should be used to defend against LaMarcus and Lopez when they are in together. And that's the only time it should be used against the Blazers in this series.

The way for us to win this series is to get Portland into a single big lineup. If we get them to go with single bigs (and I specifically mean one of either LaMarcus or Lopez...not Freeland/Trob, etc.) then that gives us a lot more flexibility in our rotations around our single big on the floor. That is to our advantage. But as long as Portland can play LaMarcus and Lopez for 20-30 minutes together each game then we are going to have problems. And as long as when Portland takes Lopez out and plays Lamarcus at the 5 and we play some other defender besides Asik on Lopez we are going to have serious problems.

It's really not about starting or not. It's about the matchup.

1. Asik should be defending LaMarcus every second LaMarcus is in the game, just bird dogging him. Same thing Memphis does with Tony Allen on Durant.

2. Dwight should be in the game every second that Lopez is in the game.

3. If Asik eventually gets into foul trouble defending LaMarcus then the next best chance we have is Dwight. So you feed Dwight the extra minutes on LaMarcus if you have to when Asik gets into foul trouble.

4. Without question, Asik and Dwight should be in the game when Lamarcus and Lopez are in the game together and only one of Asik/Dwight should be in the game when only one of LaMarcus/Lopez is in the game. In other words, we SHOULD NOT play TT when Portland doesn't have the LaMarcus/Lopez super-size combo in there.

5. The above 1-4 rules apply to Deandre/Blake, Gasol/Zach, and the Duncan/Splitter combos as well.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hell no !

Just switch Howard to LMA and let Tjones guard Lopez.

Job done !

We lost a game by 2 in OT against a quality opponent, with some questionable calls and their main guy going off, and ours sucking wind - no need to panic.

DD

9. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I just want to remind people that Mchale (whether this is good or bad) will not hesitate to change the lineup. IIRC after our debacle of game 1 against OKC, he changed it around. Even if the lineup isn't changed, hopefully matchups will be changed.

1 person likes this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I do.

Asik and Howard together just yields diminishing returns. One of them will too often be drawn away from the basket to guard the four who'll be spacing the floor. Minimizing the effect that the added size could bring on the defensive boards. Not to mention, the defensive rotations slower which brings the risk of foul trouble.

Asik and Howard both have the ability to dominate the boards individually, and IMO that's the true strength of having them both on this team. Jones has to do a better job of putting a body on his man, and Dmo should be used to help with this also. Additionally, Jordan Hamilton's size could be an option as well when going small.

11. basketballholic

We have already seen that in a lot bigger patch than we've seen TT. It won't work. Jones is simply too small to keep Lopez off the glass. Portland winds up getting second, third, and fourth opportunities.

It won't work, Dada. It's already been proven it won't work.

12. Convictedstupid

Agreed. Jones is absolutely terrible at getting position for defensive rebounds. It's why (at least earlier in the season) we rebounded so much better with a dmo/dwight line up than a Jones/dwight line up.

1 person likes this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Actually that's exactly why TT should work. With TT if one of them is drawn away from the basket, the other one is still down low to protect the paint.

T-Jones is awful on the defensive side - doesn't box out, doesn't grab enough defensive boards, cannot protect the paint, etc. So if Howard or Asik is drawn outside, out paint is wide open. Or when our center goes to block the shot, POR gets easy offensive rebound opportunities.

1 person likes this.
  14. dobro1229

Agreed. It is not time to panic, nor would it bode well for McHale to be overly reactionary in game two by changing the entire philosophy of this team on a whim because of one game.

As long as Jones is holding his ground rebounding and guarding Lopez there is no reason not to continue to use this as McHale has shown to do anyways.

Lopez was a killer in previous games when this lineup was used, but Jones did well on the boards in game 1. Its a wait and see with this matchup (Jones vs. Lopez) but if I'm banking on minimizing the offensive rebounding of Robin Lopez (who apparently is the equivalent of Wilt Chamberlain according to BHollic), or letting LMA "shoot over a chair" to drop another 46 tomorrow night, I go with the first option to start Dwight on LMA & keep Jones on Lopez because at least you have the offensive advantage on the other end.

With the TT you know you are going to suck offensively, and are going to be mitigated to being a jump shooting team with a clogged paint... that's a given(and no Jones doesn't clog the paint even though he doesn't shoot 40% from 3... that is a BS statement I hear way too often).

I'm ok going to the TT in situations but when you go to this you need to be ready to concede the Rockets #1 advantage over other NBA teams that they have.... which is one of the best offenses in the league.... and part of that advantage is Terrence Jones on the offensive end.

If McHale scraps the Rockets offense because of one game I think it shows that he is being overly knee jerk, and is already throwing a hail mary pass in game 2 of a series that they should be favored in. That doesn't bode well for the confidence of Portland.

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Problem is foul trouble, depending how the refs call this next game. Can work on stretches. Tjones sucks at position himself for rebounds and gives up the inside position on rebounds too often. Lopez will eat his lunch grabbing off reb. Tjones need to stop going to pump fake and just put his hand up instead of jumping.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why is everyone so opposed to giving D-Mo a shot? He has a good defensive rating. I remember when he held Zach Randolph (one of the best post players in the game) in check. And why the h*ll can't McHale let D-Mo go at LMA on the other end and wear him out. Let D-Mo finally use all the post moves he displays so elegantly in garbage time....

D-Mo, kiddos. Give the man a chance!!!

17. dobro1229

18. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Too early for this

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member