1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why you don't take out Dwight during hack-a-Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, Apr 21, 2014.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Because the more free throws he gets, the more he gets in a groove, the more he is likely to average out at his 55% clip. Which at 1.1 points/possession is to our advantage. McHale was stupid to take him out. Did the man not hit his next 4 free throws when he came back in or am I misremembering?

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

This one actually puzzles me... all season long he left Dwight in game to handle hack a dwight... then suddenly in first game of the playoffs he changed his strategy?

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He panicked. Inexperienced coach.

It is fine to take out Dwight, but as a coach, McHale needs to tell his players to run clock down when they have chance, till Dwight is back in the game to limit the possessions. We were on top for like 7 pts!

4. gotsis

gotsis Member

+1

He saw the game slipping away and totally panicked. We couldn't get a stop with no Howard nor Asik on the floor...

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I didn't care about the FTs, he makes up for it in other ways...it was really a bad idea to rake out Howard because he was protecting the paint then...

It was a worse idea to not replace him with Asik (who is a bad FT shooter any ways.) it screamed a panic move and it's too bad because I think we win this game without a sweat if you keep him in.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. All season long hack-a-Dwight proved to not work. And suddenly McHale panics and makes a stupid decision that cost us the game.

Stotts will try this again, you can bet on that. Hopefully McHale doesn't make a fool of himself the second time around.

7. jacoby

jacoby Member

Dwight missed like 7 in a row at one point. He probably wanted to take him out so we can run some clock until the 2 minute mark when we had a 5-6 point lead.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not only did it do that, it shows Portland that they have us in the corner if we take him out. Bad bad decision. +, they went HAM in the paint after.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The more this game is dissected, the more apparent it is that McHale's strategic decisions in the last 6 minutes and OT cost us the game. Did the players lose the game? Sure. But McHale did not put us in the best position to win, which is all you really ask of your head coach. If we lose this series they should seriously consider going a different direction.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

wasn't a bad move to take him out since we weren't stopping them on the defensive end, but unfortunately when howard was out, we still didn't stop them and we took bad quick shots

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Howard was missing 4 freaking free throws in a row...which is inexcusable!! That's why McHale took him out and at the time, i agreed with that move. Our lead was dwindle down to 6pts i think. Maybe it's better to leave him in there and try to get his groove going or try to get as many Blazers in foul trouble as possible. But that's after the fact...you can say all the "IFs" and "BUTs" but that's after the fact. I don't disagreed with him removing Howard at the time though. It wasn't Howard that contribute to the loss....it was some other stupid things we did.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

While that makes sense on paper, it didn't work out. I would have rather let Dwight shoot more free throws, resulting in more foul trouble for Portland for one thing, and have our best defender on the court. Had they left Dwight in and doubled Aldridge I have no doubt we win that game.

I'm not a McHale hater, but he didn't get a damn thing right last night.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This, not really a big deal. There are reasons to do it and reasons not to. I don't feel strongly about one or the other honestly in terms of strategy.

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

If the Rockets were getting stops after the misses, leave him in. If not, yank him.

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

6 free throws is not a large enough sample size to let hack-a-dwight work in our favor. It is highly unlikely Dwight continues to miss every single free throw. More than likely he hits a few and shoots his average. The more free throws you shoot the less variance you end up with. Coaches that employ hack-a-player are better off taking their winnings, i.e., Dwight going for 2 for 6 and running. If Dwight shoots 15 free throws for example, it's highly likely he makes 8 or 9 of them. While the results of the first 6 free throws have no bearing on the next 9, I'd take my chances that he goes 6 or 7 for his next 9, which would have been highly advantageous to our team at that point.

16. ish1973

ish1973 Member

Just hack Lopez in return. They can't make up the 10 pt. deficit.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He missed 4 in a row. All season his percentage improves once he is allowed to get in a rhythm, and that held true last night when he went 4-5 after hack-a-Dwight.

Taking him out was basically handing the Blazers bucket after bucket.

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Lopez shoots 82%. Why would you ever hack Lopez on purpose?!

19. Jt29

Jt29 Member

.619 is better than .547

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets choked in so many ways last night. Sickening.