1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why overthink it. Howard on Aldridge. Beverley on Lillard. Asik in the middle.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

= no 1:1 by Aldridge, reduced 1:1 by Lillard with a door slam by Asik if he gets by Bev. 80% of their offense, 100% in the fourth quarter, is on those two guys.

So we limit our penetration, we should be able to figure out ways to score with Asik and Howard in the middle better than we can figure out how to play D on Aldridge and Lillard.

I mean, it's the very thing the Blazers DON'T want us to do.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You must've missed Beverley's injury huh, likely out for the season. He won't be our answer now.

3. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Beverley on Lillard? LOL. Did you watch the game?!!!

What did Lillard have? 40pts? 10ast?

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I agree with starting Asik at center and having Howrd start at power forward.

5. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Dang, I shut off the game in disgust, avoided the Chron, then scanned the headlines here, but didn't notice mention of Bev's injury. Hard to guard someone with 1 1/2 knees. Well, either way, even more so now we need to have Howard on Aldridge and Asik to clean up after Lin. At least with Lin on offense instead of Beverley, it's a wash with Asik and Howard both in. IMO we leave Jones on Aldridge, we lose this series, of course I hope I'm dead wrong because I don't see McHale playing Howard and Asik together very much, just because it seems too obvious, again, IMHO.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

https://www.facebook.com/Fingercoach

Patrick Beverley "NBA ELITE DEFENDER" EXPOSED

Play 1: GAME ON THE LINE ... NO BOX OUT.
    PLAY 2: GAME ON THE LINE... BLOW BY.
    PLAY 3: GAME ON THE LINE ... BACK CUT. DOUCHE!
    PLAY 4: GAME ON THE LINE ... BLOW BY REDUX.
    PLAY 5. GAME ON THE LINE... NO CONTAIN. AND ONE DAGGER!

7. kastuul

kastuul Member

So cruel to push the hype of Beverley being Ace Stopper and Wolverine by delusional fans and media.

He has 2 years experience only and he's a HUMAN.

His D is sightly above average, not elite.
    He has never stopped Westbrook.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think Beverley is a good defender. But sometimes good players have great games against good defenders. We've seen Bev play great defense against very good point guards in the past, so I'm not ready to say he's not a good defender. Players like Lillard and westbrook can go of on anyone, even good defenders.

9. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Put Lin on Lillard. Keep your other players in their normal positions. Use asik and d-mo alongside Howard. Focus on defensive rebounding and playing defense without fouling. Rockets will be fine.

10. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Watched the Game and man Jones got torched,the Guy can't Play Defense.
    Not Saying we should Start with TT,but Jones should be on the Bench.

11. makio9

makio9 Member

I'm more impressed with the fact that you joined in 2003 and only have 130 odd posts. What kind of a man are you?

12. Mr Chuck Norris

No don't get Carmelo....we have Terrance Jones smh....

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Asik is more mobile than Dwight. He is also a better man-to-man. better lateral quickness, and better PnR defender than Dwight. So....no to Asik in the middle. If playing TT, Dwight should be the 5 and Asik (or DMo) can play the 4 much better. If McHale still has a long leash on Jones against Blazers, it'll be vacation time soon.

Lopez is NOT a threat offensively. The game we won at Portland, McHale had freaking Casspi on Lopez and Dwight on LMA. How quickly he'd forgotten!

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

uhhh No...Howard defending out from the paint hasn't' worked this season.

15. basketballholic

Bingo. Asik should be designated to play Lamarcus at all times LaMarcus is on the court. When LaMarcus sits, then Asik sits and you spread the floor around Dwight. LaMarcus comes in for Lopez, you spell Dwight and bring Asik back to defend LaMarcus at the 5 in Portland's small-ball lineup.

Our TT lineup is good enough defensively to force the opponent out of their double big lineups. Then we're down to one big and the floor spread. I'll take our chances with Howard or Asik in the middle with 4 shooters around them over whatever Portland can throw out there in that situation.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

the problem is Rockets offense sucks with TT in, that's proven. TT not a viable option for long stretches.

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I would like to see this tried. Go idea. Also it helps a lot if Asik stays on the floor !

Go Rockets ! Wed must win now.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Knee jerk much?

19. Play07

Play07 Member

TT just needs another playmaker in the game, I think it will flow better with lin & harden in backcourt

20. basketballholic

1. Won't have to use it for long stretches. Those 2 are good enough defensively to frustrate the opponent out of their double big lineup. That in turn gives us the opportunity to get out of TT immediately in favor of 4 smalls that can shoot with one of our bigs.

Once again I will make clear...you only realistically need TT for around 12 minutes total a game. Just enough to get the other opponent out of their double big lineup.

2. We haven't played TT enough to know whether our offense sucks when they are in there or not. Here again, we've never actually put the real formula to test. You put both bigs in against other teams big boy lineups. You then surround them with 3 perimeter guys that can run and shoot and are fast enough to overplay on the perimeter. And then you run on everything and take the open 3 as soon as you find one of those perimeter guys open even if the bigs are still in the back court. That is the TT lineup formula that will work the majority of the time because our 2 big men are 2 of the best defensive big men in the whole league.