1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the Rockets are down to 1 draft pick...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by emjohn, Apr 11, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Dallas won't be giving us theirs
    We will be handing ours to NJ
    We will be handing our 2nd rounder to Detroit

...Does your thought process change on who you want? I'm more of a high potential guy if armed with multiple picks...but would rather focus on a sure thing if there's only one bullet in the chamber. Right now I'm only looking at guys as depth picks at the 1,2, and 5. I don't see anyone with starting potential (within our lineup) falling to us at ~#15.

Myers Leonard as a backup C (Moultrie or Melo as other considerations as a backup)
    Kendall Marshall as Goran insurance

I don't see much of a fit for Ross, Taylor, Harkness, or the other SFs - unless we think we're talking about a AS stud that will make Budinger and Morris completely expendable. And I don't see that with those guys. Ditto for the PFs like White.

Evan Fournier I'd think about, especially if Martin's future with us is in doubt. He'd develop nicely behind Lee, and I always like the versatility of 2/3 guys with adequate size.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Maybe take a flier on Leonard with #15.

I wouldn't get too discouraged. Martin might get traded as might Lowry, it wouldn't surprise me if that nets us another pick somewhere along the line (really hoping for Sacramento's).

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really. I've felt the Rockets would've just traded up in the draft if they had multiple picks, or use on on a Euro stash. We have too many players as is.

Camby(Morey wants to resign him)
    Patterson
    Scola(or whatever player/pick we get in a trade)
    Motiejunas
    Morris
    Parsons
    KMart(or whatever player/pick we get in a trade)
    Lee
    Dragic or Llul(if Dragic's gone in FA)
    Lowry

That's 10 rotation level players right there, or in the case of Motiejunas/Morris, players that the Rockets would want to give PT to for development.

In some ways, delaying our own pick to next year may actually be better in the long run.

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I like us to look at a SG or C as well and indeed in case we do not resign Boykins and lose Dragic, look at a PG. We have drafted too many forwards in recent years so it's time for a guard or a center.

I honestly do not know which guy I would take but I will just let Morey suprise us on draft night. I am 99% sure his pick will suprise us and he will either flip it or the guy will turn out again better than we thought.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Has morey ever actually used a pick on a euro stash? I thought he trades for them. Anyway, there aren't many euro stashes in the first rd. I like using the pick to develop henson into a 4/5 or leonard. If those are gone, trade down to go after ezeli, 2nd rd picks, or out of the draft and into next years.

6. freshstart

freshstart Member

C- Camby / Leonard (Rookie)
    PF- Patterson / Motiejunas (Rookie)
    SF- Parsons / Budinger
    SG- Lee / Budinger
    PG- Dragic / Lowry

trade for future 1st-rd pick
    Martin
    Morris
    Scola
    Dalembert

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Sign Dragic and all else is a bonus. That being said I expect Morey to buy a 2nd round pick. The draft is too deep for him not to try. I love Henson with the NY pick and if we can get Will Barton with an early second I will walk away a very happy camper with the draft. But if we do that and lose Dragic big loss.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Best player available

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We still have a chance of not making the playoffs.....so we could end up with 2.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This ^^^^^

Unless the 2nd best player available is a center :cool:

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thinking DM will be drafting a 2 this time round.

12. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Come on Milwuakee damn it

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

well maybe if Morey could have passed on Terrence freakin Williams...

14. Landry92

Landry92 Member

I think we can easily get the SAC pick just by dangling Patterson and our pick.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey has only had like 5 relevant picks in his entire GM career that weren't bought. So I don't think you can create a trend from that. Also, the Rockets have more depth these days than back when the likes of Head, Snyder, JHo actually played significant minutes. Go back 4-5 years ago, and most certainly the Rockets would benefit a lot more from having 3 1st rounders.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think it will be even harder this year to buy a second rounder. Not counting on it. Best to start looking at undrafted players. The draft is just that deep.

17. rockets06

rockets06 Member

This is along the lines of what I'd like to see myself! I don't think we need to stack up on draft picks even buying picks in the 2nd rd. I believe Dragic will choose to start somewhere else and Llull won't be coming over next season.
    Use Martin, Scola, Dalembert, Morris for future 1st's and to upgrade the team!! We don't need more than 2 rookie's coming in!!
    -Draft Meyers Leonard somehow
    -Bring over Donatas Motiejunas
    -Resign Lee and Camby
    -Sign a vet PG to a 1yr deal

Lowry, backup PG
    Lee, Budinger
    Parsons
    Patterson, Motiejunas(rookie)
    Camby, Leonard(rookie)

18. gregas

gregas Member

Lol, that's ridiculous. A potential top 5 pick for Patterson and the knicks pick. No GM in the league would do that, let alone Petrie.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hope we trade Scola, K-Mart, Lowry for good picks and rebuild.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like the way you think. This would be the perfect time for this move. Chances are, they won't do it.