1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the different expectations for Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LBJ-Tmac, Jan 13, 2010.

1. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

To me having just rewatched the Lakers V Nuggets conference finals last year and Ariza's recent play, It seem's there is definetly some misconception of what his role on this team is.

Ariza's own expectations:
    One's own expectation of oneself is extremely important as failure to live up to it will cause adverse effects on one's attitude and positive skill's that one has.

I think he comes to Houston with the mindset of improving or showcasing his offensive talent as he gets a chance to play in a bigger role with more minutes.

He must feel that he has enough offensive prowess to play reasonably well given the extra minutes and shots.

Nearly halfway through the season I would say he has fallen quite short of his own expectations and because he has not reached his expectations it causes a net negative effect on his game. He tries to rectify this by taking more shots offensively or trying to make plays by constantly handling ball. As we've seen this is a recipe for disastor and causes a lot of anger from fans.

Instead he should think of being a lockdown defender and just moving the ball and dribbling less and just overall stop trying to initiate the offense because he is a respectable finisher and will get his shots from the offense. Bad bad things happen when he is at the top of the key trying to initiate...

Although this maybe an early criticisation, it is clear from his struggles that the skills that he lacks are hard to develop, e.g) ball handling, finishing with contact.

I also feel that his lack of acheiving his expectations has led to his recently poor attitude. This is quite evident from the effort he gives on defense, the standing around pointing on offense and frustration and most of Brooks' decision.

Once he realises that he is not going to dramatically improve because Brooks gave him and extra kick out and rather it is his own EFFORT on both ends of the court that will lead to a better performance.

Coaching staff:
    There is no doubt that the organisation were high on this signing as they saw what he was capable of last year during the Lakers playoff run. They also must have known that Ariza wanted an increased role and more shots.

I'm guessing they were willing to give him quite a lot of freedom with his shot selection and this was evident from the beginning of the season up until now where his shot selection has become impossible to ignore.

Coach Adelman recognized this and talked to him about it and lately his shot selection has improved.

My expectation:
    I believe Ariza is still a very, very valuable asset to this franchise if he is able to re-adjust his mental mindset.

Watching last year's playoff's, Ariza played with fire and determination on every play, especially defensively. His outstanding defensive awareness led to great rotations, reads and help side defense which greatly contributed to key wins during the playoffs. Another key fact was that in the Lakers offense, his touches were greatly limited and this allowed him to hide his greatest weakness in ball handling and display one of his best traits as a spot up shooter. Overall his role for the Lakers perfectly complimented his best skills.

Although he had a much smaller role and played less minutes with less responsibility, that is the Ariza Houston needs.

Sure its natural for a player to "slack off" on hustle and defensive effort as his offensive load and mintues increase but usually the increase offensive load and minutes results with better offensive results. At the moment, him taking on less defensive intensity and responsibilty to contribute to his offense is not helping the team as his ball handling in an attempt to create plays for a lack of a better term... sucks!

Ball handling also takes a lot of juice out a player, the increase energy consumption on ball handling results in weaker legs and therefore interferes with your normal shot mechanics. So once again reduce the time the ball is in his hands.

His shooting maybe poor now, but he has started taking better attempts lately and i believe will increase to a reasonable level IF he handles the ball half as much as he does now. Taking the ball out of Ariza's hands will help him so much, he just doesn't realise it because he believes that he can develop an off the dribble game... which ain't happening.

Its not that he's a bad player it is some players are just more cut out to be great role players as they excel at doing things role players do. The sooner he realises that he isn't gonna develop these offensive skills the sooner he will realise what brought him success, which was defense, defense, defense and spot up shooting!

I believe the team will benefit greatly if Ariza can play like he did in the playoffs rather then the way he is now. It really is quite simple because his skill level hasn't changed much during the past year, rather it all comes down to his mindset and his expectation.

If he is not able to play efficently like he did for the Lakers then cut his minutes to around 30 a game and ++ Budinger's because atleast he has potential to develop a better offensive game.

So please please Ariza, I am begging you to just revert your mindset back to just shutting down whoever your guarding and be totally crazy on defense like you did for the lakers and if it isn't necessary to hold the ball in your hands please just pass it off, you will get it back even if you don't think you will.

3 people like this.
  2. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

dude falls for every pump fake and it's getting ridiculous

3. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

Lack of defensive intensity...

4. mi0304

mi0304 Member

No need to change his mindset. Just trade him(with She-Mac). He doesn't fit this system.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

not true. scola does that.

6. mi0304

mi0304 Member

then he just bend down his head and hold his head in hands.
    and Adelman calls him to bench.
    And he covers his face with towel and cries.

7. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I am one of Ariza's biggest criticisers this year but no need to hate him that much.

It has been extremely frustrating to watch him play and thats why I created this thread. I think it is still to early to determine whether he fits the system as he has yet to play with Yao.

However for this season he must change his role and impact on the game or else the Rockets will fall out of playoff contention

8. Arvid

Arvid Member

To me, his defense is just as disappointing as his offense.

Wasn't he the main defender on Jackon last night? He let Jackson go off and get his career night.

9. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I think its his poor offense that leads to his bad defensive attitude. He should really follow the motto of making up for offensive mistakes by playing harder on defense, not the other way around which got McGrady shipped out.

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Chuck it? :grin:

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. That was Battier and Budinger.

Ariza held Wallace for most of the night.

12. University Blue

Same role as Battier. (And tackle dummy for closet Lakers fans.)

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I thought perhaps he wouldn't be a complete trainwreck on offense but he makes Artest look like Kobe.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Ok, before the season started the expectations were we would not even make the playoffs and if we did it would be as a #8 seed. 20 games into the season we win a few games and expectations change to us being a top 5 team in the west.... and now it seems all of that is being blamed on Ariza. Like he is causing the whole season to be a failure.

Coming into this season we all knew we would be allowing Ariza and Brooks to try to expand their games. Ariza scoring more and Brooks creating more plays for others.... So since we are judging how are both of them doing so far this year????

Look, we may be finding out that Ariza is simply not ready to be a legit #2 option in the NBA. Ok, that is fine, doesn't mean he sucks or is not worth the MLE. Just means Morey now knows he needs to go out and get a legit SG for this team. Its as simple as that. So please stop the hate.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I expected that he would be a tough defender and a signficantly more efficient/intelligent scorer than Artest.

I've been woefully disappointed.

16. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I don't see how I am hating, I am offering my viewpoint of Ariza's performce so far this season. I am just frustrated at the way he is playing like many others.

Yes coming into the season we expected Ariza to try to score more, we've given him half the season and he hasn't show any improvement from game one in crucial areas to one's offensive arsenal (ball handling primarily). So now the coaching staff must slow him down and re-adjust his role instead of letting him continue to "try to develop his offense"

Your last paragraph is entirely true and as I stated in my post, I wholeheartedly agree I agree that he is valuable at the MLE.

17. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

That's what I thought too :(

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Well its really hard to expect bigger things...when the smaller things like sink free throws is already hard for him.

19. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

My new expectations are for him to suck really hard henceforth.

20. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I didn't know so many people feel as frustrated about his play as I do...