1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I probably should have started this thread sooner. Trade rumors with some news or inside info to fuel it deserve a new thread, but trade ideas by posters should go here. <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=157357">Last year's thread for reference</a>
    <HR>
    At times throughout the year, some posters start threads to pose a trade idea. If lots of people post trade ideas, it clutters up the forum, so <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=115538">we decided a couple years ago</a> to try to have one thread for "random trade ideas" that are not based on news involving the Rockets. They are simply, "What do you think about... " scenarios.

Here are the rules of the "Random Trade Idea" thread.

1) Keep your trade ideas realistic. We all know why the Rockets would want Danny Granger or Chris Paul ... but try to ask the question "Why does it make sense for the other team?"

2) Don't be a jerk. There are going to be unrealistic scenarios posted ... just point out to them why it couldn't happen, if you feel so inclined. Report the post as ludicrous if you must, but don't nuke the poster and call them names. It spirals the thread down.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's my random trade idea (sure to get me killed :)).

Carl Landry to Oklahoma City for James Harden

I haven't watched Harden to get a good enough feel for his ceiling, but it's a trade from a positional standpoint that I think could make sense for both teams:

Why OKC does it
    This really depends on what position you think is best suited for Kevin Durant. If you think Durant is a future four because of his length (tough to see with his total lack of bulk), then this may not be right for them. But if you see Durant and Jeff Green manning the two and three between them, then Harden is a potential luxury and doesn't have a future starting position. The Thunder's biggest needs are post players.

Why Houston does it
    The Rockets need a true two guard -- it's the one position where their future is pretty cloudy. Battier is a small forward and Ariza does not have the ballhandling skills of a two -- he looks like the Rockets three for the next several years. You could argue that McGrady (who doesn't look to have a long-term future here) is a small forward too. Landry is starting to soar as a scoring power forward, is on a cheap contract for another season beyond this one and his trade value has gone up. The Rockets have to make a financial commitment to Luis Scola at season's end or watch him walk.

Does Brooks-Harden-Ariza-Scola-Yao scare people from a starting lineup perspective? Not sure. Personally, I think the Rockets are thinking bigger fish if they're moving assets like Landry, Brooks or Scola, but it's a case where two team needs may be met.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sorry I don't know much at all about Harden, what about his game would appeal to the Rockets?

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clutch, thanks for putting up this thread. I really didn't want to start a new thread with my idea but saw no other alternative. Well, I could have just kept my idea to myself . . . :)

As for the Landry-Harden idea, I don't think OKC will do it for two reasons. First, it looks like Scottie Brooks has definitely pegged Durant as a SF, and I think most people would say that is his most natural position. He also views Jeff Green as the team's long-term PF, being of the new age, face-up variety. Where OKC needs a clear long-term solution is at SG, hence their drafting of Harden over Ricky Rubio (who may actually have been more inclined to take the financial hit and pay his buyout fee to DKV Joventut had he gotten the larger rookie salary scale money of a #3 overall pick). Thabo Sefalosha is a nice role player and a good defender, but he's not their long-term answer at that position. I think it would take more than Carl Landry to get OKC to give up on another potential Brandon Roy.

5. opticon

opticon Member

I will play along :)

Kevin Martin\Nocioni for T-mac deal ( plus what ever other fillers you need to make the deal work)

Why the rockets do it: gets us the scoring 2 guard that we need.
    it also gives us the ability to trade Shane for another position of need. Like backup point or Center.

Why the kings do it: Evans is a Monster. He is there 2 guard for the future. He has a body like Lebron and handles and body control like Brandon Roy and a shot like Joe Johnson. As good as Martin is Evans is just as good if not better and has a cheaper contract. If the kings trade for Mcgrady they get even more cap space and go after a high profile free agent to compliment there core of Thompson and Evans.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Personally, I like the Landry/Harden trade, but the reasoning you propose for OKC seems to be superseded by the fact that they drafted Harden with Greene and Durant already on board. If they wanted a big, it would have made more sense for them to trade down in the draft and get Hill, who is obviously unproven but arguably has a higher ceiling than Landry. Plus they would have received some other type of compensation for trading back.

7. valorita

valorita Member

McGrady and his expiring $23mil contract + Jermaine Taylor

for

Samuel Dalembert 2yr $12mil/year
    and
    Iggy 5yr $12mil/yr

Houston gets their height + shotblocker while getting a 25yr old 2nd tier SG

Philly gets rid of Dally and gain cap space but sacrifice AI2, after realizing that he will never be the #1 option for a contender.

additionally, S. Battier
    for
    JR 'Earl' Smith

the trades seem to favor houston in both cases, so the other teams might not be interested, but then again most trades are lopsided so~

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I anticipate that if a major deal happens it will be closer to the deadline but we REALLLLYYYY need a big who can rebound and block shots NOW. So nothing special but could be a nice addition.

Hilton Armstrong for Brian Cook

This is the type of deal I can see Morey doing to help correct the rebounding issue without messing with the team to much:

Why New Orleans does it
    They aren't to happy with the team as is and Armstrong isn't getting minutes so a change of venue would be warrented. With Scott being taken out and the team losing Paul for a few weeks it could be time to start moving some assets for salary cap space and they would get a bit more with Cook.

Why Houston does it
    Oviously The Rox need an interior presence and this guy while dissappointing could develope into something of the sort. If it doesn't work out its still an expiring deal so its a low risk big reward type deal Morey loves.

Armstrong hasn't shown he can be a consistent Shot Blocker or Rebounder but maybe with a change of venue he can develope and be that kinda player. We need size and this guy could provide it, I SAID COULD provide it.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Sixers aren't going to give up Igoudala just to get rid of Dalembert. I am pretty sure Igoudala is the closest thing to being "untouchable" on the Sixers' roster right now. He might not be a franchise player but he's playing well enough that he's earning his paycheck (unlike Dalembert).

Battier for JR Smith would be nice in that Denver would be awesome having Battier playing alongside Melo but I would guess that getting Smith while sacrificing Battier is something Morey isn't going to do in respect to the intangibles each bring/lack.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like this trade. Armstrong, when given minutes, proved to be pretty efficient and could immediately come in and become our backup center.

I don't know if the Hornets would want to take on Cook's bigger contract since it means Shinn might have to pay more luxury tax

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Or maybe OKC went with the approach of taking the best player and talent on the board at their spot.

12. Audioout

Audioout Member

Morey has said that he plans on improving the team through trade and that Houston will have an allstar player by the season's end. I know he usually likes to make only low risk trades, but that isn't how you add high reward players.

I expect Morey will make a big splash sometime this season. I don't expect it to be either Bosh or Stoudemire just because of the free agency situation meaning we could just lose them at the season's end.

My guess??? I honestly, totally think we could get Chris Paul from New Orleans. A trade of Tracy, Brooks, and Cook for Paul, Peja and Peterson or Songalia would get it done.

New Orleans does it to save 30 + million next season and the season after that and to save 5 million this season. They also will forgo the inevitable embarrassment of Paul asking for a trade immediately dropping trading leverage.

Houston does it because...well...it's Chris Paul. I normally dislike Peja (especially for nearly 14 million) but I'd live with him coming off the bench. He's like a vastly overpaid Barry :mad:

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That's definitely a possibility. But teams tend to take the best player available when they don't have a particular need at a position (unless there is a sure fire player like LeBron). I don't think Harden was clearly the best available at #3, and the Thunder definitely needed front court help. I think they honestly just liked him that much.

14. el guapo

el guapo Member

i actually see morey doing this and the good thing is that it will get cook away from us. the only problem is what will the hornets want with him?

15. Yak

Yak Member

If New Orleans trades Chris Paul, they can wave goodbye to their franchise. Their owner is having a hard enough time financially, and trading away the only reason fans come to the game would be fiscal suicide.

And even if they were to trade Paul, there are other teams that could take on Peja/Posey's contracts that could also offer MUCH better packages than a large expiring + an inconsistent PG.

At this point, I think the Rockets should stand pat and watch this season play out. We probably can't and won't be big players in 2010, but perhaps 2011. I know that seems like ages away, but we have to be patient.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Armstrong and Julian Wright are underachieving big time and the Hornets are getting fustrated so IMO they would want to get a bit more salary cap room for next year thinking about Paul and keeping him happy by singing a decent player go with West and himself. Cook would be the 15th guy but he gives them a little more of an expiring deal. We could sweeten the deal but then you get into the whole "is it even worth it" argument.

17. rocketsmetalspd

I let the best of my emotions get in the way of logical thinking when it comes to the Rockets. So, I will go with the idea of just waiting and staying pat. I know what the team needs now is a solid big that can rebound and block shots but it will not be easy to get such player. I know Yao will be back next season but damn it I want the team to do well now!!

18. texascityman31

Incoming Players
    Beno Udrih
    6-3 PG from Slovenia (Foreign)
    13.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 29.6 minutes
    Andres Nocioni
    6-7 SF from Argentina (Foreign)
    11.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 25.9 minutes
    Kevin Martin
    6-7 SG from Western Carolina
    30.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 41.7 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Chase Budinger
    6-7 SF from Arizona
    9.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 18.5 minutes
    Aaron Brooks
    5-11 PG from Oregon
    16.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 6.1 apg in 33.9 minutes
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Sacramento Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -29.7 ppg, -6.6 rpg, and +0.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Chase Budinger
    6-7 SF from Arizona
    9.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 18.5 minutes
    Aaron Brooks
    5-11 PG from Oregon
    16.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 6.1 apg in 33.9 minutes
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Outgoing Players
    Beno Udrih
    6-3 PG from Slovenia (Foreign)
    13.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 29.6 minutes
    Andres Nocioni
    6-7 SF from Argentina (Foreign)
    11.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.2 apg in 25.9 minutes
    Kevin Martin
    6-7 SG from Western Carolina
    30.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 41.7 minutes

2010-2011 (minutes per game)

PF - Scola (28mpg)

SF - Ariza (26mpg)

C - Yao (30mpg)

SG - Martin (35mpg)

PG - Lowry (28mpg)

Bench:

PG - Udrih (20mpg)

SG/SF - Battier (25mpg)

SF/PF - Nocioni (18mpg)

PF - Landry (18mpg)

PF/C - Hayes/Anderson (12mpg)

PF/C - Draft Pick

IR:

PG - Llull

PF/C - Dorsey

SG - Taylor

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Houston: Aaron Brooks, Shane Battier and Luis Scola - $11,342,387

Cleveland: Anderson Varejao, Mo Williams, JJ Hickson - $16,632,836

Rockets get inside presence and rebounding with Varejao at the FC, a more disciplined, high scoring point guard with a high shooting percentage and a mid-range shot, and a young PF.

Cleveland gets a young, speedy point guard who however gives up size and shooting ability to Williams but with smaller contract, an All NBA Second team defender instead of an undersized SG with offcourt issues (West), and they finally get a mid-range shooting PF to complement Shaq and also has a legitamite post game.

I don't know what the contracts of all players look like after this year and the deal may put the Rockets over the limit and pay salary tax, but they will have a stronger inside presence and better mid-range shooting at the PG.

20. Francis 4 ever

I'd j*zz my pants should the first trade happen :eek: