1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Twin Towers for Game 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItalianRocket, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't see the team making a starting lineup change at the moment, but we can see an earlier substitution-- more likely a small ball lineup, if the team starts slowly again.

While the Rockets did make a starting lineup change last season vs. OKC, the situation is different this time around. The Rockets were heavy underdogs in the series (8th seed vs. 1st) and got killed playing Greg Smith+Asik in game 1. They had to "increase the variance" and go small and bomb away from the arc and live with the problems on the defensive end. This year, the Rockets are evenly matched vs. Portland and game 1 was a coin flip game. There are tweaks to be made, but there isn't a huge need for any kind of risky stuff yet.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

TT, you say?

May I suggest, instead, DD??

Dwight and DMo.

3. hltiki

hltiki Member

I'm going with TT, but not with Asik, instead with D-Mo. Some ITT are saying to switch Howard on LMA and Jones on Lopez. It's a good idea to try it out, but I'm confident LMA and Lopez will put Howard and Jones in foul trouble. Also, LMA is a jump shooter, he's going to draw Dwight away from the board, assuming Dwight comes out to guard him.

4. s.b713

s.b713 Member

i was surprised we didn't see DMO get a crack at LMA, when our bigs were in foul trouble. I think he should be given a chance in those situations.

As far the TT as starters hell no, we are too late in the season for that, in spotty situations? but its not proven to work over long periods of time, go with what works, throw different bodies at LMA, heck throw DMO out there for a chance. Im okay with LMA midrange jumpers but we need to do a better job keep him off the paint.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Lopez would get even more offensive boards and put-backs.

6. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

not start, but maybe play TT 5-10 minutes depending on the circumstances. would like to see dmo in place of asik as well.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Jones needs to use his strength then and if he needs to throw Lopez onto the ground and get called for some aggressive fouls then so be it.

The Blazers have two bigs only - they compliment each other really really well, but they have nothing if neither LMA or Lopez is on the court the drop off to the bench is really really steep.

If Jones can get physical with Lopez and get him out of the game mentally the Rockets will have a tremendous edge - and Lopez looks like the type that can get rattled easily.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You do realise last game that the refs sabotaged TT? Asik got a bunch of bogus touch and screen fouls.

9. scottie brooks

10. houtown

houtown Member

I don't think you could play at a fast pace and still have the TT work. You cant have it both ways. If the TT are in, the team should be prepared for a slower pace and embrace defense rather than try and force a fast tempo. As people say, it can be circumstantial, but the TT could work when slowed down a bit i think. BUt thats contrary to this teams philosophy.

11. NotChandlerParsons

Didn't they pick up a several devastating ORBs while twin towers was out there in game 1 or am I misremembering?

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Not to mention Dwight would be picking up fouls trying to guard 18 foot jumpers from Aldridge instead of staying back to defend the paint.

13. reliableman

reliableman Member

I was thinking this. Asik and Howard at the same time is only good for VERY limited situations...like getting a rebound on a free throw close to the end of a game. DMo might not have the strength to hold LMA back but at least he has the height to get rebounds...maybe even get a block or two. That might be wishful thinking on my part.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Sample size is too small (lucky bounces, etc). Over the long run you better believe TT can control the defensive glass.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

Start Dwight and Donuts

16. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

I'd start Asik at the 5 and Howard at the 4. Just getting the start would lift Asik's spirits and he would play like a beast. Portland is a volume shooting team and Houston can beat them if they take care of the defensive glass. If the Rockets employ the same game plan as they did in game 1, they will lose.

17. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

I think we need to at least try it and put Howard on LMA and left Asik stay in paint.

18. JBar

JBar Rookie

Try the TT lineup at times and definitely when the Blazers try hack-a-Howard.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

DD I agree on this.

20. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

They did try switching Howard on lma. Tj couldn't get the weak side rebound to save his life