1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear play-by-play guys, TV sports anchors, and sports radio hosts:

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Jun 5, 2010.

1. msn

msn Member

I understand if you can't roll your r's. Really; I do.

But it's "OOM-bair-toh", not "UM-berr-toh". (to use anglicized pronunciation aids)

So freaking annoying. Dude's been an Astro for like 5 years; one would think someone would look it up.

That is all; thank you.

1 person likes this.
  2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Mills called him Kwintero a couple of days ago. I'm pretty sure it's Keentero.

I guess players with unusual names who have a career OPS under .600 don't get no love.

Oh well, Oomberto Keentero is making $750K this season so he'll get over it.

3. msn

msn Member

haha! well, I don't really care how *he* feels about it; it just gets on my nerves.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Even in a thread about Oomberto getting disrespected, he can't get no respect. :grin:

Speaking of Q (<< easiest way to avoid the pronunciation issue), he's been involved in 3 interference-related plays in the past few games.

1 went against him (Zimmerman or Willingham, can't recall which), 1 was a no-call that worked in our favor (Castro) and the other was a no-call that worked against us (Dempster).

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

This doesn't bother me nearly as much as "Willy Tuh-var-ez" did :confused:

6. kingtim

kingtim New Member

Proper annunciation is the key to good sportscasting. Unless you're that latin soccer guy that says "Goooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll" really cool... he gets a pass.

I can understand your frustration. But, I fear that you'd better get used to it

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

tavarez/taveras

beegeeo/biggio

oswalt/oswalt for too long

have hated em all (all the mispronounciations, that is). learn your people dammit

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hearing the pronunciation of Caminiti was the worst. He would get butchered by nearly every broadcaster and SportsCenter host.

9. ThaShark316_28

Going to school to be a sportscaster...so i'll keep this in mind.

And FWIW, I always was under the impression that it was "OOM-BERR-TOH".

1 person likes this.
  10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The bigger travesty is that this guy is the best we can do at catcher. Hits for poor average with no power and no walks, nothing special defensively. Will be nice when Castro's ready to take over.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I appreciate the sentiments of this thread.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Terrell Davis
    and
    Terrel Owens

English has no rules. :eek: On the contrary, Spanish does. It's "oom-BER-to."

13. msn

msn Member

go for it!

in Spanish, the 'e' ALWAYS has the "short" sound; in fact in my first Spanish class they taught me to pronounce the 'e' as a long 'a' (very similar sounds). As such, you never never hear "er" in Spanish ("er" as in the sound you hear in the word "term" or "under". The best way this gringo can describe the "er" sound is it's like what you hear in the word "hair", only you roll the 'r'.

No kidding! Spanish is far more consistent with its phonetics. A beautiful language. However, English *does* have rules--we just break them too often and have far too many exceptions. The main reason English has so many variations is its development as language comes from different sources. It was originally a Germanic language which evolved greatly during a period of strong French influence in the middle ages (Chaucer's time).

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We might have to open up a Hangout thread about this...
    What rules does English have? :confused: I don't think you all follow ANY. :p

Pronounce "twa"
    Good. Now pronounce "twe"
    Good. Now pronounce "twi"
    Good. Now pronounce "two"
    WTF? "TOO"? :grin:

1 person likes this.
  15. msn

msn Member

well played!

I'll give you this: netspeak and textspeak are killing what little discipline we had left in our language.