1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fun with Philosophy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimbaud, Aug 26, 2000.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Concept:
    "It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are of a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question. The other party to the comparison knows both sides." - John Stuart Mill

Question:

Keeping with Mill's own Utilitarianism (but taking it away from the governing standpoint) does his statement ring true. If the best path is that of the greatest amount of good for the greates number of people, is enlightenment good?

Which "bad" is strongest - the lack of knowledge, or the pain caused by that knowledge?

Taking it to a limited example, is it better to (1)know exactly when you will die, or (2)for it do be a sudden surprise (in other words - no illness, just a severe heart attack that kills you in 1 second)?

1 allows for planning and living your life to its fullest rushing to fit everything in - it also comes with the stress of the information.
    2 eliminates that stress, but may result in a wasted opportunity (or many opportunities) in your life.

------------------
    Talking to a dead hare about art

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Choose option 2, living your life to the fullest everyday, while taking every chance to "seize the day" if you will.

Less stress about the details... because don't we stress too much about the end already?

Of course we should at least prepare for the end, and live accordingly along the way... making sure to not leave undue stress on our friends and relatives when we go.

After all, even tomorrow's not promised.

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would rather know.

I believe I would still enjoy life while possessing the knowledge of when it would come to an end.

Naturally, I would probably start getting edgy towards the end, but don't most people face that when their time is obviously running out?

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.