1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Howard Is Just Not A Good Low Post Threat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude - 2 turnovers today. Don't you think that's an ill timed post?

He played great today. I thought he did an excellent job passing out of the post.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Not again the ridiculous is got to come over and argue semantics. Please don't. I'm losing what little respect for you that I had.

You may not consider defensive 3 seconds a turnover or his stupid delay of game. yeah the refs didn't need to call it but he still did it and it's still a rule. Or his shove on Wades back that he didn't need to do to get the rebound.If it makes you feel better I won't all him turnover man and instead refer to him as stupid plays at the end of the game man.

I hope that makes you feel better if not gfys.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't care what constitutes respect for you. I do think it's ridiculous to cry about 2 TO's today when this thread is about his poor low post play supposedly.

Now you're complaining about his rebounding and defense, and about tapping the ball to the refs.

Sounds like to me you're just looking for reasons to pound the guy.

4. Old Man Rock

Sounds like you're an idiot.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Mature discourse.

6. platypus

platypus Member

Well that escalated quickly.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Dwight needs one thing that Hakeem used to torch centers his baseline fall away jump shot and his jumper from the elbow and free throw line. This allow Dream to use his moves in the post because they had to respect his jump shot. Teams are giving Dwight the 12 - 15 footer and he couldn't hit that shot if his life depended on it, why, he doesn't put in the work in the offseason (ie., The Big Fundamental has gotten better each year).

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Dwight just doesn't have those mechanics. Most big men dont. That is developed early on (i.e in college). It's too late in the game for that. He just needs better rhythm to his post moves. Eveything is a struggle and looks of beat to me. On occassion he gives a lil fake or turn and it looks good. I think he needs to do more of that. I am not expecting him to be anything close to Dream or Duncan as far as post moves, that's just not in his DNA, but if he could just develop a better rhythm and use a couple of fakes, he would be soild and reduce his TOs. That's all we need from him on offense. The rest of his points will come off assists and off rebounds.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So now we're asking him to hit JUMPERS when he can't even make FTs? Unrealistic.

10. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Dwight just needs more confidence and conviction with his post moves.
    The fact he's ambidextrous is a huge advantage, he's just gotta finish the play.
    It's his 11th season though, and the jury is still out on his psyche.
    Playoffs will determine whether he is 2 Legit 2 Quit.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is the whole reason he doesn't have a good post game. He can't shoot jumpers, and he never, ever will. Tim Duncan was a far better shooter the day he first walked on an NBA court than Dwight Howard is capable of being.

12. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Miami is not the only team that does it.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don't know where else to post.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-bag-figuring-out-the-ever-changing-pick-swapping-2014-draft/

Q: So I’m sitting on my couch on Sunday watching Houston/Miami thinking, ‘this is a Finals preview.’ I fall asleep, wake up with six minutes to go in the 4th quarter and panic briefly because I don’t want to see the Heat drop another game. Then I remember: This is Dwight Howard’s team. They have no heart. All Miami has to do is get one marginal call/hurt Dwight feelings/make a sort of run and they’ll pull this out. Tell me I’m wrong Simmons. Tell me Dwight has some heart. I dare you.
    —Patrick Olp, Billings

SG: We’ve only really seen it one time — in the ’09 playoffs, when Dwight knocked Cleveland out with a monster Game 6 (and played well in the Finals, too). I said this on TV on Sunday and I’m saying it again now: Dwight’s last week of basketball was pretty telling. The Rockets had just come off three “WE ARE TITLE CONTENDERS!!!!” victories over Miami, Indiana and Portland. They head to OKC for a message game, to play a team with only Steven Adams and Nick Collison to handle Dwight. He should foul both of those guys out in 20 minutes, right?

So what happens? Dwight no-shows. Nine points, 10 rebounds, 25 “Does Dwight know this game is being televised?” moments. Meanwhile, Durant knows no Rocket can guard him — he eviscerates them for 42. That’s the difference between Dwight and Durant: One guy goes into that game thinking, This is a huge game, we gotta send a message, they don’t have anyone who can guard me. The other guy just goes into the game.

Two days later, Houston played in Chicago against Joakim Noah, Dwight’s chief rival for the first-team All-NBA spot. At shootaround that day, Kevin McHale says of Noah, “He should be Defensive Player of the Year. He’s done a great job with these guys. They’ve been winning a lot just on his energy and effort, his kind of determination and toughness. Those are all qualities everybody appreciates.” You know why that was interesting? Um … KEVIN MCHALE COACHES DWIGHT HOWARD! AND THEY WERE PLAYING CHICAGO THAT NIGHT!!!!!! McHale did everything but light a big fire log and try to ram it up Dwight’s ass.

How did Dwight respond? The Rockets lost by 24. Dwight put up 12 and 10 with seven turnovers. Noah tossed up 13 and 10 with nine assists. Please, please, please, remember this game as you’re filling out your All-NBA ballots. By the way, it’s Year 10 for Dwight Howard — as I covered in last spring’s column about him, he is who he is at this point. Can you win the title if he’s your SECOND-best player? Absolutely. Houston’s only chance to seriously contend is if everyone agrees, “This is James Harden’s team.” And they aren’t quite there yet.

14. Old Man Rock

This guy is ridiculous.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Agreed. The Dwight-hate is ridiculous. These writers with their preconceived notions wait for Dwight to have a rough stretch and then pounce with their, "I told you so!"'s.

It's not that the guy is 100% wrong, it's that he's 89% wrong. Looks like Dwight might have been playing on a bum ankle. How do you un-write an article? Even when these guys have their "oops!" moments, they shrug them off with "oh, well".