1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New IPhone to have a 4.6-inch display

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

IMO, there is no way they jump more than an inch just like that, I doubt thats going to happen anytime soon..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/22/us-apple-iphone-idUSBRE82L01G20120322

EOUL | Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57pm EDT

(Reuters) - Apple Inc's new iPhone will have a sharper and bigger 4.6-inch "retina" display and is set to be launched around the second quarter, a South Korean media reported on Thursday.

Sales of the iPhone, first introduced in 2007 with the touch screen template now adopted by its rivals, account for around half Apple's total sales.

Apple has decided on the bigger 4.6-inch display for its next iPhone and started placing orders to its suppliers, the Maeil Business Newspaper said, quoting an unnamed industry source.

Its major display suppliers LG Display and Samsung Electronics Co declined to comment.

Samsung, which is also the biggest challenger to Apple in smartphones, uses 4.6-inch OLED display for its flagship Galaxy S II smartphone, introduced in April last year.

The high-definition "retina" display--containing several times as many pixels within the same area-- is used in the latest iPad released earlier this month.

The latest iPhone 4S was introduced in October last year.

2. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Should have done this years ago... I don't like any Apple products but now that their phone has a man screen I will compare the HTC one x, Sammy g3, and iphone7 a little more...

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

When did copying Samsung become innovative?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Making something bigger copyright Samsung 2011

1 person likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes because Samsung invented screens over 4 inches...

6. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Well since all iPhones screens have always been created by Samsung I'd say since the iPhones inception.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

About time Apple actually did something with the iPhone. And don't try and Siri me either, screw you.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I was debating holding out for the iPhone 5. I'm glad I didn't, now. This size is much better for a phone than all the huge things that people are using now. Maybe by the time that I'm ready to upgrade again, they'll have an iPhone Nano.

9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Not to sidetrack but know the EVO is 4.3 in. Isn't the bionic 4.5? And the g3 and will be 4.7?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm still a holdout, wes. I've been suffering with a 3GS, waiting for a bigger screen. I just hope this is true, or at least ballpark (it wouldn't have to be that big), because I have hell reading the tiny print. I'm glad I held out for the new iPad, so perhaps I'll be glad I waited on the iPhone 5. I certainly hope so, because my old iPhone is on its last legs.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well, now that Steve Jobs isn't around to dictate his personal preferences anymore...

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Jobs always said that the consumer does not want a hummer phone, meaning the 3.7" iPhone was the perfect. I'm glad Tim has the guts to deviate from the late maverick. I remember how everyone thought Evo's 4.3" display was deemed too big, now we can't get enough of it. Bigger is better, for now.

I am a big Android fanboy, but I've grown envious of my coworkers' iPhones, mainly because of their battery life.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Woohoo, let's all buy it.

14. Hightop

Hightop Member

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

heres apple, making small changes to each product, and its customers gobbling it up and dishing out 500$ for the exact same product with a minor upgrade

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

rocking the 3gs also.

it's so messed up. i abuse it so much. it has cracks, and the vibrate switch is messed up.

really really need a new iphone 5 right about now, so hurry up Apple.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Lol . Even that new retina display on the iPad 3 is made by Sammy. However I think Toshiba will start production soon.

I think 4.0 inches would be a perfect size bump from 3.7. Just enough to make a difference and not big enough for lots of people to complain over

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

cue kingcheetah's "unlikely".

#19 OmegaSupreme, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  20. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I have a 4S, which I think is too small. I also have an HTC Vivid for work with a 4.5" screen, which I think is a little too big. I don't think Apple would take an insane 1.1 inch jump in screen size, but I could definitely see them doing anything between 3.7" and 4.3".