1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2012 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 22, 2012.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Don't know how many Hockey fans we have at Clutchfans.

Most teams have less than 10 games left in the season.

Got some races for the last few playoffs spots in both conferences as well as seeding races too in both conferences.

As of today, this is how the standings look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait for the playoffs to start. My Blackhawks are peaking at the right time. My favorite match up right now would be Philly and Pittsburgh.

2. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

I'm hoping that winnipeg sneaks in somehow. Though a NYR WAS series would be pretty interesting. That western conference is just ridiculous!

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ugh. My team is playing my roommates team tonight. Both teams are on the Western playoff bubble (who isn't?). One of us is not going to be happy....

I'm pissed Doan got suspended, but that's the rules. The last game against the Stars put them back on my hate list, the crowd was overreacting to every time two players touched. Hey Dallas, it's hockey.

4. ItsMyFault

Haha typical Dallas. I'm actually hoping the Hawks stay at the 6th spot. I'd rather play the Stars/Coyotes/Kings in the 1st round than Detroit or Nashville.

5. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

I think the NHL needs to change their playoff format. Take the best 8 teams overall in each conference regardless of the division they're in. Look at the standings from the 1st post, you got a #7 seed almost currently even on points or record with a #3 seed.

6. ItsMyFault

Yeah, it's the same way with the NBA. It seems like they should just get rid of divisions. I think they're supposed to realign them into 4 conferences soon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75862

7. napalm06

Unfortunately there was some backlash from the players union against the new format (I think?).

I'll take my chances as a Coyotes fan against the Hawks. The only teams I'm truly afraid of in the West are St. Louis and Nashville. But as you know the Coyotes are cursed with winning a playoff series (last time they won they were the Winnipeg Jets in the 80's). Losing to Detroit twice in a row has tested the limits of my sanity.

To be fair the Pacific does have 4 decent-to-good teams (LA, PHX, SJ, DAL). Their lower point totals are partially a result of splitting the season series with one another due to major parity in the division. (The rest is because all four of those teams have gone on epic streaks and major slumps all season long. No consistency month-to-month.)

8. napalm06

The only other major hockey fan I've encountered here was Brooksball, but he has been MIA for about a year now.

9. ItsMyFault

Yeah, doesn't really seem like many people here talk much hockey at all. I know Kam is somewhat of a Red Wings fan.

10. napalm06

Nice. That's like saying someone is a Lakers fan (except less insulting). :cool:

11. LoganRoxFan

LoganRoxFan Member

Me too...then the Pens can take over the top seed and sweep Winnipeg.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

anybody but dallas.

13. napalm06

'Attaboy Max.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Seconded.

15. ItsMyFault

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I don't mind Dallas as much as I mind the Red Wings.
    Anybody but Detroit.

And I'm a Blues fan.
    So very thankful for Hitch.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I grew up a Pens fan because everyone else was a Gretzky Kings fan.

I also fell in love with some Blonde hair bimbo from Russia. And she would hang around the Detroit locker room all the time, so I switched alliances and became a Red Wings fan.

They had an exhibition game at the Compaq Center years ago between the Red Wings and Penguins. That was cool. I did not attend. None of the stars played.

If Houston was to ever get an NHL team, yeah, my allegiance would switch over to the Houston Coyotes.

18. ItsMyFault

Some really tight races now. Regular season ends next week.

Got about 3 or 4 games to go for most teams.

19. napalm06

The Blues are great this year. Top notch team that shows where hard work and solid coaching can get you. They are the team I most fear in the West.

It's brutal being a fan of a pacific division team right now..

20. ItsMyFault

I think if there's a team that can knock them out (the Blues that is), it has to be the Canucks. They're playing just as well. Blues have the best defense though. Playoffs will be fun this season.