1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Rant) Confrontation at apartment complex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by King of 40 Acres, Aug 20, 2016.

1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

So I just had a guy at my apartment complex confront me outside our building for not holding the elevator for him.

I was walking my girl out to her car (I live on the top floor) and she had brought her cat over for the night so she was carrying it in her arms in a crate so we were in a rush to get into the elevator and back down to her car since the cat is pretty uncomfortable in the traveling crate (scratching and trying to climb out).

Anyways, I notice this dude and one other person walking behind us in the hallway leading to our elevator but I wasn't sure if he was going to take the stairs or what his deal was. The elevator opened immediately when I hit the button (I guess it was parked there from the last ride) and we hop in and hit the button for the garage. I thought about waiting to see if homeboy wanted to ride with us but figured it wasn't a big deal he probably wouldn't want to be in the elevator with us since we had a cat with us.

Me and my girl walk outside to her car. She gets her cat situated in the front seat and is about to leave when this guy climbs out of his truck and walks up to me in a fit of rage and starts getting into my face saying "You're the dude who lives on the top floor" and that he lives up there too that "We're neighbors" and that I should never do that to him again. He also called me a punk ass b**** as he left. He looked intoxicated so I just ignored him as much as I could.

Do people really get this upset about this kind of thing? He acted as though I was being disrespectful to him. Clearly a misunderstanding but he took it to the next level by confronting me about it by getting in my face.

TLDR: I didn't hold the elevator for a neighbor at my apartment complex. Neighbor gets out of his car outside to aggressively confront me about it.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Did you react at all? Sounds very annoying. Probably best to suppress any emotion and just say it was a misunderstanding, even though the other guy is clearly at fault for being an ass.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't think his response was warranted but I do think it's common courtesy to hold the door if you see someone heading toward your elevator. If you saw him and hit the button for the ground floor instead, I'd call that a foul and it would bother me especially if we were neighbors.

Again, that doesn't excuse his response.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I think if you'd said something like "Sorry, we have this cat we have to get downstairs" he wouldn't have been offended at all. But not saying anything it's a little like closing a door in someone's face.

1 person likes this.
  4. King of 40 Acres

The elevator is at the corner of our floor (the building is the shape of a square) so I couldn't stick my head out and see if he was close by or not. If he had said "Hey, hold that elevator" and I had closed it on him or closed it in his face that would have been another thing.

I'm tempted to report his ass to the security guard on duty based on his description, car he drives and location of his apartment he wouldn't be that hard to find.

5. King of 40 Acres

I didn't really get s chance to say anything. Dude just started going off and getting in my face about the whole ordeal. By the time he was done he was already walking away from me so I figured it'd be best to just let him rant and not agitate him any further. I doubt any explanation would have been good enough for him.

6. yo

yo Contributing Member

He was intoxicated. Don't think too much of what people say when they're ... intoxicated.

7. King of 40 Acres

Yeah normally I wouldn't let it bother me but he emasculated me in front of my girl over something petty. He probably had to wait an extra 2 minutes max to get on the elevator. We weren't outside for more than a couple of minutes before he starts storming up to confront me.

8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Not sure reporting him to security fixes that for you.

Why can't you knock on his door and explain yourself?

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

next time start up the elevator before he gets there again, but also hit the buttons for all the other floors when you exit

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Your neighbor sounds like a douchebag. Even drunk, I can't imagine ever getting upset about that to the point of getting in someones face 5 min after the fact. Unless he was having the absolute worst day imaginable. How old is he?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is why I live in the burbs and go to sleep at 9pm.

Anyway you did nothing wrong OP. Guy was a drunk douche and that's all there is to it.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You should have stepped up to him, bro. He disrespected you in front of your girl. Texas two step him into submission to assert your dominance. Your girl would drop her panties once you proclaim that he got served.

1 person likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What's his apartment number....mmm...hmmm?

"You done wronged my friend....mmm....hmmm. Now I'm going to have to kill you....mmm...hmmm."

14. the shark

the shark Member

What you did was wrong nor was it friendly or neighborly. You say you were in a rush? How do you not know that they weren't in a rush as well? You said you noticed them behind you, and you couldn't take one second to find out if they were going to take the elevator?

I'm assuming this isn't just a two story building, because if you were in a real rush you would have taken the stairs as well if it were just two stories. However you said you live on the top floor, and you knew the elevator was the quickest way to the ground so wouldn't this guy know this as well?

Moving forward, you now have a guy who's got a loose trigger living on the same floor as you, and who knows what he's capable of doing. This all could have been avoided.

That said, yes this guy was certainly out of line to get up in your face and go off on you. Who knows what's going on in his life right now. A loved one could have just died, and he had a short fuse? Not making an excuse for him, but you never know what someone is dealing with.

Unless you plan on moving, the next time you see him I would apologize. It's the right thing to do. He either accepts it or he doesn't. That's up to him. Do not bring up him going off on you. He may or may not apologize for doing so. The purpose of doing this 1) you were wrong (apologizing for your part) 2) to hopefully bring some peace with a neighbor and not having to look over your shoulder wondering what he might do.

In the future, it would also be wise to get in the habit of holding elevators and doors for people (especially in places you live and work and even more importantly when you see them behind you). Maybe you already do? In this case this incident should give you another reason to do so, because you've now seen what someone is capable of doing if you don't.

These incidents also have a way of nagging at you moving forward. Apologize and LET IT GO.

15. htownballa1622

**** that.

I disagree. OP shouldn't have to apologize for anything. He can clear the air next time if he wants but he wasn't wrong at all.

OP said he had to wait a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes doesn't warrant being called a "punk ass b****."

Personally, I would have made him eat his teeth. If he's drunk and he's going to his car, it might have done him a favor to be off the road.

OP, I'd try to clear the air next time and explain yourself politely but the second **** goes sideways, I'd bounce and not argue with him(or handle it differently). He's clearly a dbag.

I can't tell you how many times I've held the door open for ppl or an elevator and they don't even look at me. No"thank you" or anything. **** that. I grew up saying "plz, thank you, yes sir, no sir."

16. Buck Turgidson

Is it normal for people to bring their cats to other people's homes?

17. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Should've just held the elevator; it was kind of a dick move to "not be sure" if he was going to use it...cmon man. He shouldn't have gotten in your face thou...being drunk doesn't give him a pass...it shouldn't in any situation.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Report him to security. He needs to know there are consequences for trying to intimidate other people. Too bad you can't knock on his door and lay his ass out when he opens it but, ya know, laws.

It's too bad you didn't watch the McGegor/Diaz presser on Thursday or you would be like me now and tell everyone "you'll do nuttin!" regardless of what they tell me. That line seems perfect for this situation.

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Must be a nice apartment building.

Not sure what the percentage of NOT getting shot at lower end apartments for guys confronting someone else because of something so stupid as the elevator not being held up.

Guy's an idiot. All I would have said is "my bad, didnt know you were coming up" and act casual about it.

It's kind of those situations where not making a big deal about it is the best thing, but it sucks knowing deep down inside, that guy really should get his ass kicked.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Obviously this dude on his floor has a short trigger, that said, if it were you, "personally I would have made him eat his teeth"? :eek:

Next time he sees you he pops a cap in your ass. Game over. With all the whacko's in the world this sounds like a real smart way to address this.