1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Visiting Seattle, Wa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Jun 17, 2015.

1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I am taking a solo excursion to Seattle in late August. I'll be there for 3 nights/4 days, and just looking for some advice on where to stay? I won't be renting a car, I think for this trip I'll just be hitting up the main attractions, so basically lots of walking and exploring.

Right now I'm leaning towards the belltown neighborhood but I'm just trying to get some recommendations for best places to stay, restaurants, sights, etc... Thanks!

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

EMP Museum. Right next to the Space Needle so you can do that too.

http://www.empmuseum.org/

Folks also like to go to Pikes Market...

3. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The Westin downtown is where I usually stay.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've lived most of my life in big cities, so visiting Mt. Rainier was an incredible experience. Of course, me and my buddies rented a car for that part of the trip.

If you visit the EMP Museum/Space Needle, make sure you pour one out for Key Arena.

Also do yourself a favor and grab a sandwich from this place. Easily in my top ten.

5. franchise403

Thanks guys for the recs. Since I'm not going to be there that long I'm trying not to cram a bunch of needless sights into the trip. I'd rather enjoy what I see, eat, drink. I think there's already too much I want to take in, haha.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Anything else to do in Seattle other than the space needle and pikes market?

7. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Great thread. I'm planning a trip in October to catch a Seahawks game and to determine if it's somewhere I'd want to live. More deets please

8. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Seattle got some beauties , underrated fellas . Met some from Seattle in Chicago this weekend. Rain & cloudy weather the problems.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eat at The Walrus and The Carpenter (amazingly fresh regional seafood) and Paseo (to-die-for Cuban sandwiches). Catch a Sounders or Mariners game. Drink a ton of craft beer. Go see some whales on a tour. Visit Chihuly Gardens in Seattle Center.

Belltown is a nice centrally-located neighborhood to stay in. Public transit in Seattle is surprisingly light, so make sure you've got Uber on your phone to hit up some neighborhoods further out.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Last time I stayed in Seattle, I stayed at The Inn at El Gaucho. It's a quirky little 15 room inn above a steakhouse in the heart of Belltown. The room/customer service/location couldn't be beat and the prices were cheaper than anything else I could find.

If you're looking for something a little different than the standard chain hotel, I'd recommend this place.

11. franchise403

Sweet! I checked and the Mariners don't play, looks like the Sounders don't either. I'm thinking about just going on a beer diet while I'm there, maybe sneak in a salad or something :)

I think I've found a nice place in Belltown, glad to hear it's a good spot.

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Bike culture is pretty big there. If you're gonna be walking and'd rather not be, consider renting a bike or a bike share program.

13. franchise403

I decided on a VRBO I'm Belltown, it's inexpensive but located near everything I want plus not sure how much time I'll be spending indoors. Thanks for everyone's help!

14. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Paseo's is now under new management and I've heard that the food has suffered a bit...just an FYI. I haven't been back since the change but I'll try to hit it up this week. :)

This really is a great town - I moved here in 2007 and have loved it. If you're planning on doing most of the downtown stuff (EMP, Waterfront, Space Needle, Pike's Place), you won't need a car - but get a good hotel in the middle of it.

I might also recommend taking a ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island. It's a gorgeous ride, you don't need reservations and can just walk on, and once you get to Bainbridge Island you can kind of wander around near the ferry terminal to see the shops, etc., or even do a bike rental and check out the island. Really underrated activity.

Have a great time!

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a shame. It was one of my favorite things to eat in Seattle last time I visited.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Fixed it. :)

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I just visited Seattle.

I was really impressed with the Chihuly exhibit. Right next to the needle.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Go to Salumi Artisan Cured Meats in Pioneer Square. Not only is Pioneer Square a cool and historical place to hang out but Salumi is a local institution that's been around Seattle forever. It's also owned by celebrity chef Mario Batali's parents.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was just there, stayed at the Warwick, which was fine, not as nice as the Vintage where i usually stay. room had a fantastic view of the space needle, which improved things a bit.

i stumbled across a really nice little Gastro Pub called Spur, sat at the bar and had four courses, and as many drinks/glasses of wine. really fantastic food, interesting cocktails and reasonable wine list. highly recommended:

http://www.mccrackentough.com/spur/

and for coffee, i always make it to monorail espresso, a little window on Pike ~ 5th that cater to bike messengers. fantastic coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monorail_Espresso

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Tons of good food, just yelp them and see what you like. I'll be a great experience.