1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disputing a Debit Card Transaction?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I prepaid a travel site for a hotel stay and the hotel ended up charging my debit card (which I gave them for incidentals) for the same hotel stay. So I have 1 charge from the travel site and 1 charge from the hotel - both for the same stay.

Predictably.....the hotel is telling me to handle it with the travel site and the travel site is telling me to handle it with the hotel......

I used my debit card as a credit card for both charges. Bank is telling me I can only dispute an actual credit card transaction. This can't be true because the debit card is a Visa just like my credit card. I didn't sign or use my PIN for either transaction.

Am I screwed because I used my debit card as a credit card instead of using an actual credit card? Which one is raping me with no lube - the hotel or the travel site (or my bank)?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sounds like your bank.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's always smarter to use credit over debit and pay off credit every month. One reason being your money isn't handed over until the balance is paid so you can always dispute a charge. In a debit, your money is transferred and harder to get back.

Secondly, you'll be viewed as a more reliable borrower to credit companies when you pay your balance off monthly, increasing your credit score.

The only thing you have to worry about is not spending more than you can pay off. With credit, you can't set it to decline and not overdraft like a debit card.

As for your charges, the hotel should be paid by the travel website and not from your card. You should dispute that with the hotel. Keep an eye on your statements just to make sure you were only charged once and it should be from the travel website.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

^^^ what he said. The hotel should not have charged you for the room. Call back and ask for a supervisor if you didn't the first time.

5. Buck Turgidson

I hope you don't have Bank of America

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

This.

Also, are you sure the charges have settled? When you hand a card over for incidentals, they'll always put some hold charge on there. Are you just perhaps waiting for that to clear, or has it had final charges on it?

I'd keep talking to the hotel, sounds like they did what they weren't supposed to. Was it on the receipt when you left the hotel?

7. VanityHalfBlack

It happen while I was in Orlando. Get your money back!!!!

8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

always book direct....

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let me guess, Priceline?

I'm still having my issue with them. They literally stole money out of my account and won't give it back.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My debit card was compromised and used for over 1k of purchases in another continent within 12 hours. No idea how my bank (Chase) didn't catch it, but I did while it was still happening and called them. They cancelled the card and it took about a week, but I eventually got all my money back.

11. what

what Member

Are you a kid? Or are you just trying to create a scenario for the board for your own amusement? Don't you always post those "my girlfriend ...." threads?

Literally every avenue that you claim can't handle this can. I don't care what bank you are with you can institute a chargeback. Also, no matter what motel you stayed with, no hotel chain would ever pass the buck by telling you, we can't help you out if they have a relationship with travelsites, and no travelsite would ever do the same by telling you to go to the hotel.

This is such a stupid topic. I call B.S. on the whole thing.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a little early to be drinking dude.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure ima is married and has a family. As such, he'd never publicly speak about his girlfriend.

I have no idea what poster you're thinking of.

15. what

what Member

Well, then it seems pretty crazy to me that he is having this problem. I guess he is just screwed, because he doesn't know how to handle the issue like an adult.

16. No Worries

The internet made me do this ...

NSFW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fbGkxcY7YFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. No Worries

Authorization hold

Authorization hold (also card authorization, preauthorization, or preauth) is the practice within the banking industry of authorizing electronic transactions done with a debit card or credit card and holding this balance as unavailable until either the merchant clears the transaction, also called settlement, or the hold "falls off." In the case of debit cards, authorization holds can fall off the account, thus rendering the balance available again, anywhere from 1 to 8 business days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy. In the case of credit cards, holds may last as long as 30 days, depending on the issuing bank.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Assuming it's not an authorization hold (the hotel may still be waiting to get paid by the travel site), I know that Chase will let you dispute debit card transactions because I have done so before.

My advice is to haggle with the hotel for a refund (be sure to speak to the GM), and that's not done promptly call your bank to put in a dispute claim. I did this exact thing with a restaurant that billed me for someone else's food in addition to mine, and when they didn't get back to me after the second time I called, I turned to Chase and they immediately refunded the money. I think they then go and ask for a signed receipt from the vendor, so unless the vendor can provide this the refund stands.

19. what

what Member

truth

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Can we get "LOL" added to the front of this guys handle?