1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

Anyone know if this is all supposed to be wrapped up next week like true detective? Or is this supposed to take place over multiple seasons?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hear rumor there is a surprise bonus episode because the writers need more time to finish the story arcs of the cat and who gets the taxi, riveting stuff

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've been waiting for someone like yourself (an attorney) to post something like this. It's like the writers didn't even study what goes on in an actual murder trial. One thing that I find hard to ignore, is that Riker's is JAIL, not a PRISON.

People are there while awaiting trial and for sentences under a year, typically. It's 400 acres with thousands of people there are not there for murder and rape, but dealing, stealing, bad checks, etc.

They tried to make a PRISON series about JAIL. Everyone is way to settled in and the Kingpin character's reason for being there is ridiculous.

One hour dramas seem to do a fine job of at least coming close to realism. This show chooses to waste time on scenes that have little relevance to anything. We don't need in depth character study or a drawn out trial in real time. This show could have been very effective in keeping with the bits and pieces presentation they've given us. It's like we see moments in time rather than everything pertinent to the story. Kind of like looking at vacation photos. You don't see every step you took, but each photo represents a different part of the journey. Someone looking at your vacation album only sees a grand total of a few minutes in time, but those few minutes represent a week's worth of life. I like that aspect of this show. I feel like a fly on the wall in most of the scenes. What bothers me is that the information they do present to us doesn't even try to be realistic.

They have eight episodes to present what most television does in one or two. Eight full hours mind you. Most movies clock in at two. This show has more time than Godfathers I and II combined. Think about how little we've actually been given by way of a story. There's hardly any real dialogue going on either. Compare this show to True Detective (first season). This seems very sloppily put together.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How on earth would Box not know about the limo driver? He clearly goes up to the car to speak to the girl in the surveillance video. It's beyond a suspension of disbelief for the show to make us believe he wouldn't have done the minimal amount of investigation to see who that was.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Ok so this season is over with one more episode and it is by far the most annoying series I have ever watched in my life.

We got 60 minutes of Turturro feeding a cat and attending to his eczema feet. Every time I see a scene the deals with his cat and feet I just want to pull my eyes out.

Instead we get 10 seconds of the 2nd witness/suspect running away from Turturro only to not have any follow up story. We were left with a cliff hanger instead everything that occurred was forgotten the next episode.

We got 30 seconds of Andrew's step father threatening to kill Turturro only to not have any follow up story and instead get to see him take care of his asthma due to cat allergies.

We got 1 minute of interaction with "black" hearse driver and the lawyer only to not have any due diligence thereafter (including nothing done by Turturro). Yet somehow they are showing these findings in the court room?

WTF is wrong with this script here? I'm glad i'm going on a trip and won't be able to watch the last episode. I will read reviews before engaging in the season finale.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Mission creep. It started out promising - I really liked the first few episodes, and then overextended itself and got bogged down with too many subplots/red herrings/etc - now it's got to finish them off, and, well that's what happens.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just watched all of the episodes in 3 days. I agree for the most part. This last episode better perfect if it wants to wrap things up in any type of reasonable way. Unless of course there is another season.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the notion of a wave of vandalism and random Muslim beatings in response to a murder is a vile slander against Americans and New Yorkers

9. LonghornFan

Welcome to the thread, StormFront.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And no one is even talking about it, because the taxi drivers mentioned it in passing, and someone walks past some white supremacist graffiti. Oh, and a rock is thrown through the suspect's house window...which happens in a lot of murder mysteries. No one will even remember those scenes by the next episode.

See, we told you this wasn't going to play out like you said. You were silly wrong on everything. No rich white guy like True Detectives and no cultural commentary on Muslim Americans in a world of ISIS, no corrupt detectives or investigating cops....hell, this is more about security guard corruption and poor treatment of inmates at Rikers than anything you originally speculated...in fact, providing a story of Rikers was indeed one of the things Zaillian and Price talk about having researched and wanting to portray.

Why try to continue your thread of speculation?

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Because some people need to get out more and are a bit weird. There are also a lot of people that could probably use to get laid more often.

Politics Politics Politics

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The existence of your online persona is a vile slander against Vanderbilt University and a once great computing company.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Because he's an old idiot desperate for new tricks and can't seem to keep his shtick in the D&D.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just watched episode 7...this show is annoying as ****.

It went from the best pilot episode I have possibly seen in my life...to a hot mess.

At this point, I hope evidence comes out that Naz was, in fact, the killer. That way, he can continue his thuggish ways in prison since he basically transformed from a book nerd to a straight up gangster within a few episodes.

I cant wait for this series to be over with so I can move onto something that makes me less frustrated with each passing episode.

P.S. Again, they show images of the brutal murder to the jury...and not one mention that none of those drops of blood got on Naz, his clothes, etc... Just a straight cluster**** of writing.

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

I was one of the few people defending the show on that aspect, hoping that the lack of blood would be an AHAAA moment that Chandra gave out to the jury during the trial that most of the audience may have just forgotten. However, its omission is perplexing to say the least. When the kiss scene happened, I literally said out loud, "This has to be a dream scene to show Naz is losing his mind in prison"... How out of place. The show has definitely regressed over the past weeks, but strong acting performances along with the investment I've already made will leave me clinging to a hopefully worthy closing that returns elements of the pilot- very doubtful though.

16. LonghornFan

Ready to issue and be completely underwhelmed.

17. The Boz

The Boz Member

I just came here to post same thoughts. I am hoping to be blown away, but knowing I come with high hopes. :rolleyes:

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am a third of the way through . . . . and I am getting concerned.
    I am detecting some Stupidity . . .but I will see how it plays out. . . .

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Man . . . Watching this makes me never want to be a Jailor.
    Seems like everyone in there is in Jail.
    Guards and Inmates. The whole scene is depressing.

It kept me rapt until the end . . . .I was still waiting on another shoe to drop.
    The ending was decent but I feel a bit unsatisfied.
    I could see another season. Just 1 though.
    Just to complete the story

1. Do they get ole boy? - The New suspect and his trial
    2. What happens to the Lady Lawyer? She was incredibly stupid and it seemed out of character for her. They only busted her on the most minor of her stupidity.
    3. How does Khan's life go? What does he do now that the community seems against him. When the truth is reveal will it change?
    4. What happens with the itchy Lawyer?

It was a good series and I am glad I watched it. Just want a lil bit more.
    The next season could probably be done in 4 episodes.

Rocket River

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anticlimactic ending for an anticlimactic show. Wasted potential.