1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] METALLICA new album release, "Hardwired…To Self-Destruct", on November 18.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Aug 18, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Best Metallica song in a very long time.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Tweeners do Metallica...on their way to replacing those old mf-ers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/woPv8RRYn3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HOLY HELL THAT IS AN AWESOME SONG. I am SO SO SO excited for this new album. The world is a better place with new, good Metallica in it.

ipaman likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Those first two songs set the bar pretty dang high. I hope the rest of the album can hold up. Definitely built some excitement for me as well. This is shaping up to be their best album since maybe "And Justice For All". It's getting interesting. That last song sounded like a more mature Metallica to me. They could have gone overboard on that song with distortion and all...but the mix sounded great (albeit damned if I could make out any of the bass guitar probably because I'm listening through a PC). It was hard and heavy but not too heavy. I would wash my car to it. ;)

ipaman likes this.
  6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They were on Stern this morning and played Master of Puppets, Hard Wired and the lame Sad But True.

[​IMG]

Also released their new song on the show. Didn't really do anything for me. Sounded like something off of Load or Re-Load.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a band that refused to make a video for a long time, then had a first video where there faces weren't shown...it is kind of amusing that they now have two very straightforward "pretend we are playing a song in a room" videos. Were they filmed on the same day in the same room?

Song isn't bad and both have been more memorable than anything I have heard them but out for a while, but, this one felt a bit disjointed to me. It didn't fully mesh or something. And parts, like the guitar solo, didn't feel very musical. I know Kirk is too old to be making some of his old shredding solos but it seems like with age he should go for more interesting things musically.

Even listening through headphones (albeit via YouTube) the bassline seemed nonexistent.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would not be surprised at all if they filmed both videos on the same day at the same place.

9. Surfguy

You should have seen Trujillo in the mixing room. He was like "where the f am i in there?". James: "shut up...you're just lucky we picked you to be in the band, man!". Lars: "yea...man...we'll release your bass track on Napster dude! chill!" Kirk: "I defer to James and Lars always...derrrrrr."

RunninRaven likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love the verse...until they go into the sloppy double-time feel. That just feels forced to me and you know it will fall apart live because of Lars horrible time keeping (LOL). Chorus is okay but almost too melodic for me. The production definitely has a Justice for All feel to it, which is a really good thing.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's been a very long time since I was even remotely interested in a Metallica album -- these first two songs are good.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, IMO, Lords of Summer, Hardwired, Moth into Flame all sounds very similar to the material from Death Magnetic. And I am totally fine with that. I am talking about the songs themselves and not the production. Sounds like the the production isn't as brickwalled so that is good. I don't see these new songs as anything that really harkens back to 80's Metallica. It sounds like an album following Death Magnetic. Again, that's totally fine as I liked DM.

Great that Metallica is making new music and new albums. Keep it up!

RunninRaven and CCity Zero like this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely interested in. On side note got to catch Alice in Chains last night, pretty great concert, so hopefully Metallica tours close after this releases.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was pretty much my reaction. I'm not ever expecting them to get back to the And Justice and Master of Puppets days. They are past that point in their lives and if they genuinely tried to recapture that sound again I feel like it would come off really fake and pandering. But I loved where they went with Death Magnetic. This sounds like they are continuing that path, and I dig it.

Deuce likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

More new Metallica music. "Atlas, Rise!"

ipaman and KingCheetah like this.
  16. ipaman

Very Maiden like and I mean that in a great way. Digging the guitar harmonies.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I was jamming to this song this morning. Thought I heard some Hallowed Be thy Name in it.

ipaman likes this.
  18. Surfguy

I definitely got the Maiden vibe from that song as well. What I didn't like about the song...I thought it was too long at over six minutes. Too many guitar melodies extending the song but oft repeating and making it feel like dead space. I get that is Metallica's thing...but it just went overboard for me in this particular song. I felt it was a 4 minute song stuffed in a 6 minute song.

I also wish Kirk's guitar solos had more variety because they all seem to blend together imo and are not distinctive enough from each other. Alex Lifeson...now there's a guy who can create great guitar solos that are not alike. Kirk always seems to have the same effects in his guitar solos with an overreliance on wah and does a lot of single/multi-string fret bends and the like. It's pretty predictable imo. Speed is obviously very good but speed isn't nearly everything when it comes to soloing. In no way am I saying Kirk isn't a great guitar player. I just think he falls into some predictable patterns with his solos and I would like to see/hear more variety. Just my opinion.

#58 Surfguy, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  19. Indaface

Indaface Member

^ can agree with some of the criticisms but honestly im glad that all 3 songs are songs I can add in my music playlists.

Looking forward to the full album.

20. ipaman

I agree on the Kirk criticism. You probably felt that way because in fact part of Kirk's solo on this new track is recycled from Suicide & Redemption. Folks are gonna say well he lost his phone and his ideas but honestly he's been lazy for years now. It's a shame because he does have talent.

That said so far the tracks are 3 for 3 for me. You can tell the old writing style of James and Lars hammering it out alone is working because the 3 songs released are on point.