1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good were the Dixie Chicks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jan 22, 2015.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Look at it from another vantage point. Who cares what people on clutchfans think about this. I guarantee if you went to any other musician in the music industry (country, rock, rap, R&B, gospel, etc) and made this comment (that the Dixie chicks were as good as the Eagles) you would be LAUGHED out of the room.

On top of that, the Dixie chicks themselves would LAUGH you out of the room as well.

2. what

what Member

sales are relative. the chicks were more popular (or at least, as popular) in their brand of music as the eagles ever were in theirs, they own two of the top 10 more successful albums of all time (is my proof).

the toured with the eagles as coheadliner's and were laying the smack down on the eagles' set night in and night out.

Their albums?
    As far as influence is concerned the eagles, the eagles probably got them in that, only because so many people tried to copy the eagles style.

Like the eagles: the chicks were prolific songwriters, musicains and maines was, as a singer, she had a distinctive voice similar to Henley. The eagles harmonies are also rivaled by the chicks harmonies.

To call the dixie chicks not a good band is so ludicrous it is beyond even for the 20-somethings on clutchfans.

3. body slam

body slam Member

Not a fan, but they had some good songs. For five years they were the top band in country music. A come back tour would most likely be a big success. That being said I'm trying to think of another top county top country band from that era. You had past their prime Alabama and Diamond Rio. Who else would have been around then?

4. what

what Member

To put this in perspective: groups or artists to go back to back diamond are: Beatles, Garth Brooks, Britney Spears, Celine Dion.

Also, Micheal Jackson has only had 1 album of his reach Diamond: THriller. Think about that? This is Micheal freakin Jackson. The Rolling Stones only had 1 album (a compilation) to make diamond. Madonna only had 1 studio album make it: Like A Virgin.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay what I have no idea why you are bringing me into this and I am confused by your comment that I don't follow that pattern...are you saying that I like popular music because if you have paid attention to what I have been listening to (the long music thread), I have listed albums by free jazz artists, dub artists, shoegazing, electronic music, and heavy metal. Very few of these albums are ones that I see the mass public going out to buy.

6. what

what Member

The comment has nothing to do with your musical tastes. You were brought into the conversation because you seemed to have a perspective on music in general and can see outside the narrow view of the hipster crowd, and whatever is popular to like or not like, doesn't necessarily skew your opinion: I was trying to offer you a compliment, but align you with MY argument about the dixie chicks.

Your reputation, thus, shouldn't be tainted by what I said about you. :)

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never realized how hot Natalie Maines (circa 2006) was.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You know what the American public is waiting for?

An N'Sync reunion tour.

the rest of the world is waiting on an Oasis reunion tour.

Hardly anyone is waiting for the Dixie Chicks.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

OK - thanks. To me, music is too subjective - if you feel that the Dixie Chicks are the greatest, then no one can stop you from saying that. You will probably be ridiculed for saying this, but that hasn't stopped you in the past. :p

10. what

what Member

Go check out my Jonny Lang video I posted in your music thread. Best I've ever seen him. I am pretty much a snob when it comes to blues music, but Lang is awesome in that video. Truly a legend and Kenny Wayne Shephard could only hope to be half that good as him.

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

12. body slam

body slam Member

The down side I see is there was no longevity to there success. They had a great 5 year run making it to the top of the mountain winning entertainer of the year. Country music has one of if not the most loyal fan base in music. To make it to where they were longevity should be a given.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Dixie Chicks = soulless candy coated crap for the ignorant masses.....

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and gorgoroth is more popular in their brand of music than the dixie chicks are in theirs. but neither act can touch what the eagles did.

jonny lang is to the blues as the dixie chicks are to country.

i would be curious to hear what a blues snob like yourself thinks are the top blues acts of all time.

#94 jo mama, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Can’t wait until what gets into his car to tell us about this new song.

heypartner, B-Bob, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

jontro always down for the chixie dicks.

18. Buck Turgidson

Emily, the twin that doesn't play the fiddle, is a ridiculously good looking woman. She and her ex and the kids showed up in a San Antonio backyard shindig a couple of years ago. I got to do midnight whiskey drunk acoustic singing with Charlie. Good times.

Dude can't sing anymore, it's sad to have something you love taken away from you.

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I`ve always loved there music.................good for them

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Was never really a fan....until my wife (of all people) made me listen to one of their live albums on our last road trip.

Holy ****. Say what you want about them.....but musically.....they are 10 times more talented than any of the tripe you hear on country radio today.

Buck Turgidson likes this.