1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First (tentative) Depth Chart Released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houstonstime, Aug 6, 2014.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

John Harris posted an article about each offensive player that was listed on the depth chart so far. His take on all of them might show who needs to play well in this upcoming preseason to ensure a roster spot. Im getting excited.

Here is the article:
    http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-Offense/05597ea7-29af-4550-928d-a280a98dd9f7

Some random guys I am really excited to see (mainly because they are not 1st string and therefore might play more in the preseason and surprise us):

Tom Savage QB - with some talk of Case struggling it would be cool to see him adapt to NFL and surprise in the preseason.

Alfred Blue RB - Im actually banking more on Grimes to be awesome and the backup, but Blue being the backup at LSU and us getting him so late in the draft makes it awesome that he is doing well in camp.

Mike Thomas WR - Had no idea who this guy was and have heard from some ppl there that he is looking REALLY good, that would be an awesome random surprise at the slot.

EZ Wach WR - fastest WR on the field, it would be cool to see some deep balls.

CJ TE - just cuz.... hes massive and while im not saying hes the next Gronk.. that would be really cool for him to just light it up.

Xavier Su'a T - we need this guy to shine with brooks having problems, have heard he likes to just hit guys, would love to see him open some lanes for grimes and blue by pancaking some guys.

Anyway, getting excited for preseason and of course Regular season, let me know if you guys are interested in anyone else and who you think might surprise..

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XWSbgAzTDks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I totally forgot about that. Made me so mad. Well that doesn't really show any of his skill, and it makes me hate him a little, im excited to see what he can do when safeties aren't swatting the ball INTO his hands lol.

Thanks for sharing J.R.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Whitney Mercilus isn't starting?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

You're welcome. ;)

In all seriousness, first seeing the depth chart: thin. Yeah, yeah, can't have stars at every position, two deep.

QB (Yeah, yeah, sure, you can say this about any team); won't be surprised if Keenum is cut. Haven't read all the headlines, all the news, but from what I have, very little positive clippings about him.
    OL: Duane Brown, Chris Myers with everything else wide open.
    DL: J.J. Watt and a bunch of guys
    LB: Clowney and Cushing (when they're not hurt) and a bunch of guys
    CB: Joseph and Jackson and a bunch of guys. (Good things on Bouye?)
    S: Could have a nice 3-man unit of D.J. Swearinger, Chris Clemons and Kendrick Lewis or...crash and burn?

At least the Texans have a great punter? lulz

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That LB crew is definitely the one that needs the biggest bounceback this year. Cushing, Mercilus, and Reed all need to play and play better this year for the defense to have any chance.

I guess redemption/rebound is the story of the 2014 Texans.

They need better play at of their QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, Safeties, and K this year. Other than that, all to the good. :grin:

I'm optimistic as every fan should be in training camp. I'm just really hoping things break right for them this year and we start seeing the emergence of a dominating D and an offense that can scheme its way to points this year while we work to upgrade the talent at QB.

Also, really looking forward to reading more from John Harris on the Texans website. Hope he brings it and doesn't hold too much back!

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

This should knock some realism back into the folks before they vote on the season record. I'll be happy with 7-9.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He will be, no way brooks reed starts on the outside when the season starts

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So the excellence of the training and coaching program won't translate onto the field? Otay.
    I won't be "happy" with 7-9. That would be a turnaround of sorts, but not strong enough for what we are seeing in the preseason and our schedule.
    9-7.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Training and coaching program!?! Lol.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

And the following week Mark Sanchez went like 60 yards in 2 plays to beat them

12. Remii

Remii Member

I would be really impressed if they win 6-7 games. I would consider that a great job by the coaching staff and the players. I've been saying they will probably go 6-10 but that's just me being a homer...

I'm looking forward to seeing Savage. I don't judge teams by pre-season games though rather good or bad. Just want to see him play... And I'm still expecting him to take the starting job at some point during the season.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you are looking for a reason to be a Debbie downer and predict a ridiculously low win total for the season, you can find an excuse to, if you want to be a homer and predict a 12 win season, you can find excuses to, if you want to be a realist and predict something in between, you can find reason to do so. I'm not going to get too worked up over a tentative depth chart made before even one preseason game.

14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. :)

15. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

If we go 9-7 with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB all season, Bill O'Brien should be named coach of the year.

1 person likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Reed plays on 1st downs more with Mercilus playing more third downs and passing situations (I think Texans will treat 1st down like a running down). Since the defense takes their first play on first down, I think Reed starts.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

LOL. We've never even seen BOB coach an NFL team yet. Calm down there. :rolleyes:

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wholeheartedly agree. At least he looks like a coach.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I love that hes coaching old school/like hes at the college. I heard that he actually sat down with some of the vets before the off season started and one of the main problems everyone mentioned was "accountability" no one was held accountable for screwing up.

That's one of the reasons for the lap-running/push ups which I think are great.

Im saying 10-6.

Schedule isn't that bad.
    Not much depth but if our starters are healthy, pretty awesome core group.
    Fitz will surprise, I don't know why, but he will.
    BOB seems like he knows what he is doing.
    Yes I am a hopeless optimist, just let me be :grin:

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I see it as...no way both Mercilus and Clowney will be starting together when the season starts.

Neither of them should be covering tight ends and Reed is much better at that from the OLB than anyone else we have. On 3rd and long, sure, throw Merci and Clowney in there.