1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's draft strategy - year 2 of my 3 qb theory

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by what, Jul 30, 2014.

1. what

what Member

Last year my 3 qbs in the first 7 rounds was a radical idea. This year I plan to prefect it even more by influencing the draft early and often. Maybe taking 2 qbs with my first 3 picks and hoping to catch my competition off-guard and they'll reach on a qb to get one.

If I do this strategy, I might have to end up drafting close to the top of the first round and getting a stud rb and then in the second and 3rd round drafting cam and andrew (of if i'm lucking I can get drew brees). Obviously peyton's going in the top of the first round.

The two stud qbs, to me, is a great strategy in any league, it helps on by weeks it also gives you a huge advtange with teams that don't get elite qbs. I just love this strategy.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

With the continued scarcity of the true workhorse RB and the evolution of the passing game creating a surplus of productive WRs, it would seem like now is the best time to hoard RBs in earlier rounds moreso than before.

The problem with this strategy is that the devaluation of the RB is creating an influx in "marginal" RBs. Backup RBs with starting value. Joique Bell and Stevan Ridley for instance (Gio Bernard last year). Gone are the days of the TD vulturing backup RB (TJ Duckett, Stacey Mack).

While the true workhorse RB #1 remains a 1st round luxury and a 2nd round probability, the influx of the marginal RBs combined with the surplus of marginal WRs, makes it possible to focus attention on other positions even in the earlier rounds.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

BPA no matter what this year.

F**k if they're a cowgirl or steeler or titan (lol).

I'm taking the highest ranked player on my board based on value and potential. If I already own a stud QB (Rodgers) and another stud QB falls to me (Brees) I'm nabbing him anyway.

That's my strategy for every position in all my drafts.

4. Pete the Cheat

what how many leagues have you actually won? you are cutting off your hand to spite your face...

if you are worth a crap at analyzing trends you can over come not having an "A" list QB quite easily.

every year a QB emerges from relative obscurity and can be had mid-late season via waivers for a deep playoff run. (i.e., Kaepernick 2 years ago and Foles last year)...these are the same QBs who tend to get overvalued in the following year...

BPA is the way to go in FF drafts period. no need for gimmicks

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My worthless thoughts.

On 2 QB's - You're going to make several GM's in your league extremely happy by taking two tier 1 QB's. Sure you'll screw 3-4 rookie GM's who get scared, but you're really just making the league easier to win for the savvy GM's. There are usually a handful of guys aiming for a Romo late anyways. Seems like a really dumb strategy to me, even if TD's are worth 6pts. But that's just me.

On RB's early - No doubt about it, securing an elite TD machine or dual purpose RB early can give you a huge advantage over the competition. But go and look at pre-draft rankings over the past 3 years. The bust ratio is incredibly high on RB's. There's no guarantee Jamaal Charles or LeSean McCoy will do **** this year. Look at Doug Martin, Trent Richardson and CJ Spiller last year. If you get a top RB that actually produces, great job. If he turns out to be a bust, what now? Graham, Manning, Brees, Megatron - those guys are going to produce. Adrian Peterson? Might as well flip a coin, bro.

6. what

what Member

there are literally 90 percent of players that lose every year drafting rb/rb - rb/wr, wr/wr, etc.

also, in general, the bpa IS a qb, so not sure what your point is on that.

You wanna know what DOES matter in fantasy? Let me count the ways. Let's see, about 5 years ago picking up micheal vick on the waiver wire week one was a winning move, 3 years ago drafting cam in the 15th round did okay, also drafting gronk in the 7th round was pretty good. 2 years ago getting alfred morris in the last round worked out pretty well.

did it matter that you took arian foster second overall? No, because the lucky b*stard who drafted Alfred Morris and his 1500 yards.

You keep on drafting rb/rb every year and see where that gets you. Also, the days of drafting big ben in the 8th round are over.

My strategy is built on a solid foundation of vbd. And like moe said, gone are the days of the 25 a game carry workhorse running back. qb's, in my opinion, are the new team carriers. Use to first and goal was an automatic td for your stud back. These days there are times when a running back won't even see the field in first and goal.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

One question you haven't answered. Have you ever won?

No matter how great you deem your strategy it isn't **** unless you've actually won a championship using it.

I believe I recall you saying this past season the rest of your team was squat **** because you couldn't trade any of your 3 QBs and had nothing to show for in terms of positon players.

You (again if I recall correctly) were the same person that was arguing DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart combo were championship money as opposed to drafting a true stud in the top of the draft.

I think people that make up gimmicky schemes such as these are compensating for their lack of skill. You can take that as an insult, which you probably will, but that's my true opinion. If it don't work the first, second, or third time..... just stop.

8. what

what Member

Winning with a strategy doesn't validate it nor does it invalidate it, and that is the main reason I didn't answer that question.

I did comment on the question though, when I said that 90 percent of people using a so-called traditional strategy of rb/rb lose every year.

Last year, using this very same strategy I came in fourth without drafting 1 rb until the 5 round in a 12 team league, a league were 9 out of the 12 teams took rb/rb the first 2 rounds.

Also, you've have to convince me that my strategy is a gimmick, because i am still using the very same principles that people who take rb/rb use, which is vbd. At one point taking a wr in the first round was unheard of, now 2 to 3 wr get drafted in the first round every year. taking a te in the first round was ludicrous even back when antinio gates was a beast. Nowadays jimmy graham is pretty much a lock to go in the first round in 12 team or more leagues.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I tried different strategies in different leaguesi in one I did the rb/rb pick, and got to the final, and one of those 2 rbs was Doug Martin :( if I picked McCoy instead of Martin, I would have probably won.

there is a lot of quality in the middle rounds, in the QB position, dont really need to grab one in the earlier rounds, to succeed.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I play 3-5 leagues a year and win 1-3 every year. Last year I won 3 that I can think of, my GF's league, a pay league run here on CF (I won $100), and that other CF league that there's 4 iterations of. I also came in 2nd in Smeg's.

There are definitely different factors that lead to winning seasons. Avoiding injury is the most important in my experience. The second most important is finding contributors late. Rice, Rodgers, Stafford, Gronk - guys I've drafted past round 9 in the past that lead to title seasons.

Strategy is important, but there's no end-all-be-all.

2 tier 1 QB's early though, never gonna cut it against seasoned players. You're essentially weakening other teams giving the players that already know what they're doing even more of an advantage, plus, you're wasting a high pick on a slot that will only contribute once per year.

11. Pete the Cheat

agreed. its like the Cowboy fan who picks Romo in the top 10. the incompetence of picks like that is always an advantage to experienced players. the cream always rises to the top...which is probably why what needs to rely on a gimmick :p

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say throw the other guys for a real loop and draft 2 kickers in the 3 rounds.

13. what

what Member

Winning $100 dollars in a local game isn't no big accomplishment. Have you actually played in a league where the buy in was $250+?

I have. Playing in a yahoo league for 20 dollar entry fee, 10 team leagues, 15 rounds, where 8 of the 10 people in the league make the playoffs, trading is allowed, that's not what I'd call a real challenge. Sure, it's fun and all.

But call me when you've played in a 12 man league with 20 rounds, no trading, and the entry fee is $250 or more and only 4 teams make the playoffs.

The problem with ff strategy talk, especially on this board, is that most of you all play in leagues that aren't even in the same stratosphere (in terms of the constrains) as I do.

You are playing in 5 leagues a year with 20 dollar entry fees and anything goes and you think that you've got everything mastered.

The players on this board I respect are:
    - kate81
    - moe
    - the freak (to a certain extent)

1 person likes this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

People don't have to talk about what they've paid or lost (cause um again I don't think you've ever won) to earn FF respect.

It's their logic and eye for talent that helps them get victories and championships.

Really with all that talk you pretty much admit you've lost just as much as Zig's won. Not much of an accomplishment in my eyes.

I have a big money league but you don't see me throwin big numbers out there. But I will say this; past seasons champ won a little under 2k... we can leave it at that.

15. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Lol. 90% of the people lose using any strategy so I don't think that comment makes your case any stronger. Add me to this list of people that don't like this strategy. Yes your strategy could work if one of the others succumb to the pressure of wanting a good qb and help you at your weaker positions.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, sorry dad. I regularly finish higher than your beloved Moes in leagues we're both. He's a jabroni and knows it. But keep drafting 2QB's genius. $250, sorry, didn't know you were high rolling with the Yakuza in some underground fantasy football underworld I could never hope to know about.

[​IMG]

17. what

what Member

You've played nearly 100 games of fan duel and you have a little over a G, that's supposed to impress me?

Seems to me you are playing level is exactly what I thought you're playing level was: a 10 dollar player. LOL

18. what

what Member

yes, and I know I butchered "your" twice.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Peepee games alert.

I'm not a strong drafter in 12 teamers. I tend to overvalue younger promising talent over proven veteran talent too often. It is usually a younger guy I will end up drafting a year too early. But sometimes it pays off and I land a Jimmy Graham in the 9th round while you all are taking Dennis Pittas.

I believe my team in the Smeg league last year was superior to Ziggys.

There is no perfect strategy, because no season turns out the same and one injury or bust will destroy you. My track record does not include big league winnings but I have won my fair share of leagues.

Now fantasy basketball, that is where I am a wizard and completely untouchable.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not really, here's my final month last year. But I don't care if you're wagering $50 billion, drafting 2 QB's is still bad strategy, bruh.

[​IMG]