1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

computer question: windows 7 memory usage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by durvasa, Jan 14, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've got Windows 7 on my laptop, which has 3GB of RAM.

I'm looking at the resource monitor right now, and it says that 2483 MB of physical memory is in use. I'm trying to figure out which processes are using up all that memory, because I'm getting a lot of page faults which is slowing down my computer.

One of the columns for the processes is Working Set (KB): Amount of physical memory currently in use by the process.

Isn't it the case that if I just add up this column for all the processes shown, it should sum to the 2483 MB? But when I do this, it only sums to 632 MB.

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

Is there something else I can look at to see what's hogging up all my memory?

Thanks.

2. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

What kind of video card do you have? It's could be shared video memory.

#2 mrdan, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Commit is the column you should be looking at an it doesn't show how much the system is using.. Sort by that column and see which process is hogging up the most memory.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Commit is total virtual memory, isn't it? And, actually ,even that is less than the total physical memory used up, which really makes no sense.

I guess Windows is using memory for hidden purposes, but I don't know why that wouldn't be represented somewhere in the resource monitor.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You're right. I got confused by some other stuff I work on. The problem is that the resource monitor does not show you what resources the system is using. The only way to really know how much resource the process is running is by stopping each process and seeing how much the total in use changes. However it still doesn't account for poorly written drivers.