1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good list. I would put Torreyes on the 40 man. 21 year old and leads all of AAA in k%. This would leave 5 spots.

#21 Joe Joe, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Timothy De Block of The Crawfish Boxes has a spreadsheet of Rule 5 eligibles and the current state of the 40-man roster. Of course, the list is subject to change.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

I think we need to package some of these players for something. We have the depth to really make some upgrades at the MLB level...

Cmon Luhnow...pull the trigger.

Package DDJ and some other prospects for SOMETHING

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unless he's getting guys at MLB that are either stars or with lots of club control, any trades with Rule V eligible guys will likely make Astros System younger.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Why does everyone expect to be able to trade fallen-star guys like DDJ or Santana for legit players? It's a low-sell on those guys and wouldn't return a legitimate major league piece.

There's a ton of depth in the system but as I've said before, depth fills holes but is rarely successfully packaged for something.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm not suggesting we limit ourselves to trading just Rule V probable players. I wouldn't mind trading a couple of better prospects as well. Maybe Hader or something. And I like Hader a lot. But we have a lot of good pieces. And we'll have another hopefully good draft class coming.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Bump...

10:59 PM tonight is the deadline to submit the 40-man roster in advance of the Rule 5 draft.

This is the 40-man roster as it stands...

Pitchers (19) – Anthony Bass, Jake Buchanan, Kevin Chapman, Luis Cruz, Sam Deduno, Darin Downs, Scott Feldman, Josh Fields, Mike Foltynewicz, Will Harris, Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Brett Oberholtzer, Brad Peacock, Chad Qualls, Tony Sipp, Alex White, Asher Wojciechowski, Josh Zeid.

Catchers (4) – Jason Castro, Hank Conger, Carlos Corporan, Max Stassi.

Infielders (7) – Jose Altuve, Matt Dominguez, Marwin Gonzalez, Marc Krauss, Gregorio Petit, Jon Singleton, Jonathan Villar.

Outfielders (7) – Dexter Fowler, Robbie Grossman, L.J. Hoes, Jake Marisnick, Alex Presley, Domingo Santana, George Springer.

DH (1) – Chris Carter.

And again, these are the players eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft.

Right-handers — Ruben Alaniz, Agapito Barrios, Jamain Cotton, Chris Devenski, Jonas Dufek, Michael Feliz, Edison Frias, Jandel Gustave, Angel Heredia, Krishawn Holley, Juan Minaya, Jose Montero, Tyson Perez, Francis Ramirez, Richard Rodriguez, Jason Stoffel, Fredrick Tiburcio, Vincent Velasquez, Andrew Walter, Kyle Weiland

Left-handers — Colton Cain, Ambiorix De Leon, Evan Grills, Reymin Guduan, Mitchell Lambson, David Rollins, Tommy Shirley, Blaine Sims.

Infielders — Delino Deshields Jr., Matt Duffy, Jose Fernandez, Alex Gonzalez, Jonathan Meyer, Jiovanni Mier, Chad Moon, Jose Solano, Ruben Sosa, Ronald Torreyes

Outfielders — Ydarqui Marte, Jorge Martinez, Brandon Meredith, Telvin Nash, Ariel Ovando, Jordan Scott, Danry Vasquez.

Catchers — Jobduan Morales, Roberto Pena.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Remove: LJ Hoes, Josh Zeid
    Add: DDJ, VV, Feliz

Keep one spot open in case they like someone in the rule 5 draft.

9. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

10. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

"@RedOrangeReport: #Tigers claimed RHP Josh Zeid off waivers from the #Astros. Zeid was acquired in the Hunter Pence trade. 40 man roster now at 37/40"

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> add IF Ronnie Torreyes and RHP Vincent Velasquez to their 40-man roster. Also, RHP Anthony Bass has been outrighted to Triple A.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/535538086583619585">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow says 2 remaining roster spots are for potential acquisitions through free agency or even Rule 5 draft. Taking a long view.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/535544394955239424">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Anthony Bass is also outrighted. The 40-man roster still stands at 38 with departure of Bass and Zeid, additions of Torreyes and Velasquez</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/535538903822790656">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Surprised Feliz is being left unprotected.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I can sort of understand Feliz. He's probably pretty far away. Not sure any team wants to use up a MLB roster spot all season on someone that raw.

I'm actually surprised that DDJ is unprotected. He's a lot closer to the big leagues and could probably be a nice MLB pinch runner if nothing else.

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

So was Johan Santana. Yeah I know this comparison will be said multiple times (already has by Badler).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So was Johan Santana RT <a href="https://twitter.com/BLomasky">@BLomasky</a> Feliz hasn't pitched above A ball, not ready for full season in majors</p>&mdash; Ben Badler (@BenBadler) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/535549364547387393">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Feliz will be picked. Have already had front office officials tell me they'd be shocked if he doesn't go No. 1 in Rule 5.</p>&mdash; JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) <a href="https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/535549644517175296">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

I would be surprised if Feliz isn't picked.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised a little about DDJ. DDJ would be a pinch runner. From scouting reports, it sounds like his defense is still not where it needs to be. If he could be a defensive sub as well, I think he would be protected, but still could see someone picking him up just to store on the bench. Who's the new Astros?

On Feliz, he's probably capable of pitching middle relief in the bad side of blow outs already. I see it as....if Sam Hinkie took over a bad baseball and needed to rebuild, would he pick up Feliz and have him learn from the bench and blow outs?

#37 Joe Joe, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  18. HstnSprtsFan101

I can not believe we didn't protect Feliz & Delino..what in the fck. Torreyes? Has Luhnow really done anything? that's just plain dumb.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm stunned we aren't protecting DDJ and Feliz. I think Feliz is a lock, and DDJ will probably go as well. Tommy Shirley is another guy that seems like a good candidate to go. Given some of the less than spectacular pitchers we are currently protecting, I wouldn't consider the roster crunch that bad.

If you weren't gonna protect Feliz you should have packaged him in some kind of trade. Simply letting him go for nothing seems very illogical.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jake Buchanan
    Darin Downs
    Samuel Deduno
    Will Harris

I'd get rid of all 4 just to protect 1 Michael Feliz.