1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2011-12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

For some reason when I try a 4 teamer on the NBA trade machine, it won't tell me if its successful or not. Anyways, I've been thinking about a 4 team trade between Houston, New Orleans, Boston, and Orlando. Its hard to work on a big trade when you don't know what kind of contracts each teams free agents will sign, but here's a shot at the framework for a major trade:

Houston trades: Kevin Martin, Hasheem Thabeet, Chuck Hayes (sign and trade), Chase Budinger, NY 1st rounder, and possibly T Will or Johnny Flynn
    Receives: Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu

New Orleans trades: Chris paul and Emeka Okafor
    Receives: Rajon Rondo, Nenad Kristic (expiring), Hasheem Thabeet (could deny team option after season to make him an expiring contract), Jeff Green (sign and trade), Avery Bradley, and 2 1st rounders from Boston.

Boston trades: Rondo, Jeff Green, Nenad Kristic, Avery Bradley, 2 1st rounders
    Receives: Chris Paul and Chuck Hayes

Orlando trades: Dwight and Turkoglu
    Receives: Kevin Martin, Emeka Okafor, Chase Budinger, NY 1st rounder, and T Will or Johnny Flynn

#221 Ricksmith, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Garner

Garner Member

^^^^

Just a good stab at it. Well done.

3. Audioout

Audioout Member

Just posted this elsewhere when I thought it deserved a mention here.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=83ykwwg

3 Team Deal or 2 Separate deals:

Houston trades to Memphis: Kevin Martin, Johnny Flynn to Memphis for Rudy Gay.

Why Houston does this:

We have Lee who can easily be a starter on a good team. Either start him now or lose him so he can be a starter elsewhere once his deal is up. We have plenty of depth at the 1; even more so when you consider we will soon have Lull as well.

We could really use a near allstar talent like Gay's. IMO he is a better overall player than Martin at a position of need.

Why Memphis does this:

Well, their main concern this offseason is going to be locking up Gasol and having the cap space to do so. While this trade is almost a wash as far as salary is concerned this move gives them a solid backup for the 1 in Flynn. Something they direly needed last playoffs as Vasquez while admirable, didn't cut it.

This also gives Memphis depth at the 2 position. Something else they direly needed. The dropoff of offensive production from Gay to Martin would be negligible while the defensive strengths of their other players could mask Martin's iffy defense. More importantly, this deal gives them the ability to amnesty cut OJ Mayo. While OJ is okay, you never know when they'll have their next big problem with him. Also, this may be the only way to cut enough payroll without losing much talent overall. They may even be able to keep Battier in this situation.

Houston Trades: Luis Scola and Terrance Williams to Bulls for Boozer and Charlotte's lottery protected 1st.

Why Houston does this:

Scola has been great for us. Terrific even. Problem is not enough people know it and he's even a year older than Boozer is. Not much more time for him to develop for us into a solid player we can build around. We need some name recognition in Houston so we can entice a free agent to come play with us (Dwight Howard). Having said that and initially balking at this deal, I have to admit...it has it's advantages. Chicago may want a pick added here and I may actually relent if I were Morey. While I'm not crazy about Boozer, he is a B level star player. Maybe B minus. Did I mention he's friends with Howard?

Why Chicago does this:

Boozer just didn't seem to mesh well with the Bulls. Even when he played well it looked like a square peg being jammed into a round hole. Having said that, Scola seems like he would fit the mold of what they need at the 4 better. He would come cheaper than Boozer so they would save money in the long run.

As an added bonus, they get a chance at a player capable of playing the 2 or being a good bench scorer and play maker. One of the Bull's biggest problems last playoffs was they didn't have a player other than Rose that could create his own shot. While Williams isn't the best player they could get to fill this need, he wouldn't cost them much and they could just let him expire once the season ends.

And don't even think about asking The Bulls about Asik. It isn't happening.

Our roster would look like this:

Kyle Lowry
    Courtney Lee
    Rudy Gay
    Carlos Boozer
    Hayes??? Please?

Dragic, Budinger, Patterson, Morris, Hill, Thabeet, Parsons

All we would need then is a center...still...but I have to say, plug Dwight in there and WOW! :eek:

4. AFS

AFS Member

^ It's an interesting idea, but I dunno that we'd be able to sign DH after taking on Boozer and Gay salaries. Would be neat if it worked out.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Thank you. My only concern is that New Orleans might need a little more for losing their center too. Maybe an additional pick from Boston or Houston, or maybe another big like Jordan Hill.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This trade is crazy, yet very possible. I think another pick needs to go to Orlando somehow and Flynn would be a more valuable piece for Orlando than T-will. This trade would be the biggest move in quite some time if the salaries match up.

7. valorita

valorita Member

I wonder if Cuban is more interested in having a Haywood/Nene combo rather than keep Chandler. If Nene has his mind set on Dallas then we need to be the third team and try to get Chandler from them.

3 way trade proposition:

Dallas in - Nene
    out - Chandler + pick

Denver in - Williams, Hill, Thabeet, picks
    out - Nene

Hou in - Chandler
    out - Williams, Hill, Thabeet, pick

Chandler/Hayes
    Scola/Patterson
    Budinger vs Morris
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic vs Flynn

If Morris pans out then that is a top 4 team in the West

8. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

why do we need to trade for them when we can sign them?

9. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Rudy's contract is toxic. 20million his last season!!! Memphis was crazy to give him that.

10. valorita

valorita Member

We don't have the cap space to offer Chandler the type of salary that he is asking for. I'm not sure what he wants but it will probably require a 4 yr 50 mil type of contract to get him even interested.

11. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

We have 16million in cap space this season, and 28 million in 2012. Chandler will be pushing 35 in 4 yrs. hes making 12million this year and wnts more apparently. I rather hold off for a younger big. We already seen his upside 10/9. given the same min DAJ would ave 14/14 and could be had at half the price IMO, not that i am super found of Jordan either. Bogut will be traded this year, i know it.

12. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

i also just noticed Dallas has 7 guys on their roster making 9million and up with dirk making 20. We have 1. and everyone keeps saying we dont have cap space while Dallas tries to sign two more max guys???WTF

13. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

[​IMG]

14. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

i guess your right ascaptjack, but doesnt the salary cap matter at all.

15. DWADE42010

DWADE42010 Member

WE NEED TO TRADE FOR D.HOWARD NOW!!!!!

WE NEED TO TRADE FOR D.HOWARD NOW!!!!!

He is not going to resign with the magic after this year..I say trade Hayes,Scola, Martin,Jordan and 1st rd. Maybe they throw in a Turkoglu. I hate to lose any of those guys but if we can somehow make this kind of trade WE ARE INSTANT CONTENDERS!!

HOWARD
    PAT PAT
    MORRISON (I think that's his name?? The rook)
    BUDINGER (TURKOGLU?)
    LEE
    LOWRY

16. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

they dont want old players, they want young players. the players you kept on the team in your scenario. thats why we're relevant in the race for dwight, cp3

17. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

offer this for dwight (18mn), turkoglu (33mn/3y), redick (11mn/2y):

kmart (25mn/2y)
    flynn (3mn expiring/team opt)
    motiejunas
    patterson (2mn expiring/team opt)
    budinger (1mn expiring/team opt)
    thabeet (5mn expiring/team opt)
    2 future 1st rders

you'd then have:

lowry
    lee
    turkoglu
    scola
    howard

bench: morris, dragic, twill, parsons, (hayes), hill

18. jc9495

jc9495 Member

out:Scola, Hill, Buddinger, 2012 first rounder
    in:Granger, Hibbert

Indiana is in the rumors about all the FA centers out there. For whatever reason they are not sold on Hibbert, who I think can be a very solid C. The Pacers lose Granger, but acquires a first round pick in a loaded draft and will have the option to amnesty Scola next offseason if his production diminishes this season. Houston gets a young C at a fraction of Nene's cost, and Granger who's very solid and will get you better defense on the perimeter. As well as more rebounds, blocks, steals at the position. Houston cuts Thabeet, re-signs Chuck, and Patterson becomes the starter.

or...

out:Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill, Buddinger, (Battier exception)
    in:Mo Speights, Andre Igoudala

probably would have to get a third team involved. But again you're acquiring a young C at a fraction of Nene's cost. Igoudala is a guy who gives you more athleticism at the SF like Granger would. Rebounding, blocks, and steals would go up from the 3. This team just cannot cut it with Martin and Bud starting at the 2 and 3. Too much of a liability defensively. Because of Martin's God-like effeciency, he cannot be traded.

or...

out:Scola, Buddinger, Flynn
    in:Al Jefferson

It's no secret that Jefferson's time in Utah is almost up. Rockets get a legit post C with a hefty contract, but he's still very productive, and he will be back with McHale who did a great job in his development. Obviously this leaves a hole in the SF position, where I am all about giving T-Will and Marcus Morris their shot. But would also look at a FA SF such as A Moute or CDR. Obviously amnesty Thabeet and re-sign Chuck. Patterson becomes a "company man" and is the future of the PF position moving forward.

19. joesr

joesr Member

Do you make your stuff up?

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird will actively look to improve his team before the season begins, he said Thursday. The Pacers have significant salary cap space, and Bird says he wants to add pieces to a solid young core that features Danny Granger, Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George and newcomer George Hill. Of that group, only the 28-year-old Granger is older than 26.

No way they give up Hibbert. Also for everyone always saying trade Scola for Granger, get off that drug. Pacers aren't trading vet for vet, they want to contend right now so its vet for young and if at the last minute they decide against it they will go young for vet (clear money). Stop with the Scola for Granger deal. Its not happening. Your either doing Scola for George with fillers or vice versa, Patpat for Granger with fillers. /sigh

20. jogo

jogo Member

Scola + Budinger for A. Randolph and Beasley

We do it b/c we hope that Randolph can play C if he gains weight/muscle. He has talent. Beasley is a better starter at SF than Budy. This move also opens up playing time for Patpat. He or Randolph can start at PF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.