1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

it'stime for les to invest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IamKhan, Mar 29, 2008.

1. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

the team.

This is the best team since 97. And on top of that, we can add a MLE player, use BJ/HEAD/Steve's contract to get a 10M player, and 1 first round pick. I just hope Les won't be cheap again, something like use half of the MLE, or let the exipring contacts expire.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Les isn't the one who'll stop the acquisition of a $10m player. It'll be Morey's spreadsheet scouting.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I agree with Gater. Morey's the one calling the shots. I also agree with the original poster, this team has solid chemistry, however chemistry is funny in that it can be there one year, and not the next, so you never want to trap yourself with contracts. These are real human beings, and they are unpredicatable. McGrady and BJ could be fighting tomorrow. Rafer could get on everyone's nerves. Shane could be under some personal depression. You just never know...

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it never works, right?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have asked this in other threads but why do you think Morey's money ball inspired GMing has failed?

Because to me, he has taken on PLENTY of contracts .....to try to win.....

I don't see them whining about taking on BJax and his 6.9 million contract, or Jackie Butler to get Scola or Justin Reed...etc..etc..etc....

What exactly to you have against Morey's approach, beause to me, it sure seems like he is doing an INCREDIBLE job.

DD

6. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

nothing of real value. If those are the best names you can come up with then hopefully its not indicative of the future

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Landry's agent seems to drive a hard bargain he could be taking maybe half of the MLE or more.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It really stinks having the 12th best record in the West, all while missing one of the legitimately top players in the whole wide world. Oh, the record is actually marginally from Best-in-the-West? How can that possibly be?

Maybe Alexander hasn't gone into Dolan-tax territory but, please, show me where he has run this franchise on the cheap? Dumb, maybe. Often even. But not cheap.

Can we please refrain from off-season roster moves...until...the...off- season??? Rox may not make it out of the 1st, or Rox may play for the WC. Or, heaven forbid, against the Detroit - Boston survivor? I don't know how long the run will uh, run but I am enjoying the ride. I plan on doing so for some time yet.

Then, hang Rafer by his thumbs. Trade T-Mac. Get Gay back for Shane. Whatever. Just not yet. Please.

9. DaDakota

What? I am talking about taking on contracts to make the team better........

If you want names how about these players that Morey has brought in ....

Scola
    Landry
    Brooks
    Harris

He has also taken on risks like

James
    Francis

So far, I have seen very little actual Money ball type of deals.....most of them are solid basketball deals, IMO.

DD

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Help me out...was there a free agent acquisition, or trade that fell through because Morey preferred a cheaper option over a player with more talent?

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Head and Stevie MUST STAY!

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Until McHale gave KG to Ainge Morey had GM of the year locked down. The guy has done a fantastic job. You can't sign All Stars at every position so he did the best thing possible and dropped some dead weight and picked up some great players on the cheap. A few of his gambles didn't work out but they were inexpensive gambles with a huge upside. Actually, the gambles still may pay off if Jackson turns it on for the playoffs and if Francis comes back healthy and in shape next season. If not, they were still smart gambles to take.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I can answer that in one word

GAY

GATER hasnt been the same since that happened, Im afraid the old GATER is lost to us. :(

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree. It's like the "We want Steve!!" chants in that game early in the season when the Rockets were on a scoring drive. Sometimes fans think their personal interests are better than the current interests of the team.

15. DaDakota

Not to mention that CD was the GM at that time.......but Battier has been way more valuable to us than Gay.....

DD

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If we wont have any injury problems next season, If we can continue to fight like this season, I personally think whether trading for a $10m player is not so big a deal. Next season Yao will be coming back, we need to find a good backup for him. In a word, Injury is what i am scaried of, I hate to connect this word with my fav team. Hopefully next season we can get stronger and stronger. :rolleyes:

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Les did pay a lot of money off the books to help get some of our deals done last offseason.

18. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

The problem hasn't been Les not willing to spend. Its been a lot of bad contracts and moves that haven't worked out. But I trust Morey in what he is doing. If nothing else, getting Scola for basically nothing has earned him that.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good Call DD....

The man has done a helluva job and people still b****in....

Just because he goes and gets a 10mil guy doesn't mean that he will work in with the current chemistry...

So why don't we let the man do his job and we all sit back and drink a nice cold one...

T_Man

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member