1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Letterman to Retire in 2015 - Bummer!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, this is the end of an era. The man who has provided plenty of laughs for America for decades now will soon leave The Late Show. We have perhaps a year of Mr. Letterman left, and I'm sorry to see him go. I suspect that from Dave's point of view, he's at least out-lasted the man who took his gig, the former host of The Tonight Show, Jay Leno. "We don't have the timetable for this precisely down," Letterman said. "I think it will be at least a year or so, but sometime in the not too distant future, 2015 for the love of God, in fact, Paul and I will be wrapping things up," he added, referring to his longtime band leader Paul Shaffer.

[youtube]H9eYkpgeeI8[/youtube]

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/03/news/david-letterman-retiring/index.html?iid=Lead&hpt=hp_t2

:-(-

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Letterman's show is the worst among late night talk shows. His delivery is horrendous; I'm not sure I've ever laughed at anything he's said. I can't wait for him to leave.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I will also be sorry to see him go. Hard to believe I've been watching him for more than 30 years. I know a lot of the younger people don't care for him, but younger generations never like the generation that came before them.

I saw last nights show with Bill Murray and I thought it was one of the best I have seen recently.

Fallon or Kimmel will have to work for a long time to match what Letterman has done.

Oh well, the final year should be fun. I bet Dave would probably like to see Conan replace him, and I would like to see that too.

I wonder if Tina Fey will be considered as the replacement? She seems to be very popular right now.

1 person likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Letterman is going to retire rich as fukk!

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent post! As for the replacement, Conan would be good, but Tina Fey would be better. She didn't occur to me, but I hope the network is thinking of her, assuming she'd want the gig. Nice idea!

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lol, you realize there are other channels right?

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

he should have retired a loooooong time ago.

His schtick is has been played out for a while

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He sure didn't use to be that way, but he has been bad for a while. Watching his show is like watching old comedians like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, or Robin Williams still try to be funny again. It's just cringe worthy.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

signed,

bigtexxx

Jay Leno's #1 Fan.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm a little too young to appreciate him at his peak. But I didn't realize until recent years how many stand ups, writers & actors Letterman inspired to get into comedy. I was surprised how often his name came up in interviews with people associated with shows like The Simpsons, SNL, etc.

I never routinely watched his show but his influence cannot be overstated. I have mad respect for him.

1 person likes this.
  11. Joe-House

Joe-House Rookie

12. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

he was really throwing down the vodka, martha looked uncomfortable... otherwise, i thought last night's show was better than either of jimmys.

13. SexyButIgnorant

By far my favorite Late Night host. A true comedian, and might be the last of his kind with the popularity of skit-heavy, scripted late night shows like Fallon. He was declining, sure, but few can argue that when he was in his prime, no one could touch him!

Sad to see you go Letterman.

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Larry Bud Melman faints. well, he woulda.

15. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Old guy here... can't stand Letterman (but I guess I liked him when I was in college) and will not miss him at all.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I doubt Tina fey would want to do a late night show. She is far too successful to do something like that

As for Dave, not a fan, glad to see he is moving on

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My favorite host between him and Leno. I guess Ferguson is next?

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Big fan, but haven't watched in years aside from occasionally by accident or whatever. Nostalgically sad to see it end, but I'm sure it's time when he says he's done, and the dry schtick probably doesn't resonate as well now that he's older and the audiences are younger.... not to mention he seems to embody the parody more and more when I see him.

Good run, Dave. Thanks.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Tina would have the same trouble on late night that men have on daytime; she'll end up on the latter if she's not running a network or a female version of Happy Madison in ten years.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think the top candidates would be

-Conan
    -Ellen degeneres
    -Neil Patrick Harris
    -Stephen Colbert