1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 11, 2013.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Yes. I'm sure it just makes filming easier to use the same locations (some locations, believe it or not, didn't want to be part of the BB show).

Another thing is, even though Albuquerque is a fairly big city (550,000), you'd be amazed at how close many of the locations are that they shoot in- when I was there a few years ago and took pictures of famous BB locations, it was literally walking distance from the Doghouse to Jesse's house to Tuco's HQ to Mike's house to the place where Walter white is trying to blow up Gus Fring's car. And what struck me about every single place I saw is how TV makes things look so much bigger than they actually are- I mean, you see the White house in person and it's just so...small- but on the screen, it's larger than life. Makes sense, but interesting to see in person.

I'll be in Albuquerque on business next week and will be in the area where they filmed parts of BCS- will post some pictures if I have time.

[​IMG]

Bogdan.

[​IMG]

Tight.

[​IMG]

b****.

[​IMG]

Wendy.

[​IMG]

Jane.

[​IMG]

Saul.

(they used Hooligan's to film the outside of Goodman's office).

#261 dandorotik, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It is the same diner, AMC confirmed it on their Story Sync app.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but at some point, it needs to be considered as its own show.

Nobody compares Game of Thrones to Breaking Bad. Or Mad Men to Breaking Bad.

Likewise, people stopped comparing Fraiser to Cheers.

There will always be similarities because its written, created and directed by the same people... but to think that this show, in its infancy, should already be matching one of the greatest shows of all-time is an unfair expectation.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Many people don't realize this but most of BB was made up on the run. Show-runners had no idea when the show would be cancelled or how many more seasons they would have, so they pretty much made up everything on the run. Many plots were changed throughout the series, and there was never really an end-game in mind. Luckily, BB was very flexible and really good at this.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I think this is well known. Gilligan was even joking one time in an interview that he hoped he wouldn't get in a car accident and die because he has to finish BB. Probably the same with this show.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I figure it's different w/this show. He's built enough cache w/AMC for him to get certain guarantees I'd imagine.

7. MystikArkitect

I believe there were several other companies lying in wait if AMC didn't pick up the show. Gilligan has a lot of hand this time around.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Actually it is. You are talking about arguably one of the greatest shows of all time and using it as a benchmark (well, maybe not "you" in particular).

I think it's a very good show. If I sit there and expect it to be Breaking Bad, I am going to think it is only a decent show. Yes, I realize same creator, same world but do you honestly think that the evolution of what Jimmy starts at and how he ends up as Saul could be nearly as interesting and insane as Walter's beginning and end?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like comparing .. ALL IN THE FAMILY to THE JEFFERSONS

Rocket River
    :p:cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. gah

gah Member

My guess: Los Pollos Hermanos open shop.

11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Crazy how different BB could have turned out if things had gone differently. Jesse was supposed to die at the end of season 1 and Tuco was going to be a major villain for most of the first two seasons, but had to leave the show and the show runners decided to go the opposite route of Tuco for the next villain - a cold and calculating Gus.

12. Buck Turgidson

Watch the show, or don't. Enjoy it for what it is.

Quit trying to compare a half a season to the full run of the last show, you will only be disappointed.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love this show. I don't think it'll ever be breaking bad good but I find every episode interesting.

14. dandorotik

I would definitely expect that to happen. The characters that I would expect to see would be:

1. Gus- he already has Mike working for him in his first appearance in BB.

2. Emilio- Jesse says that Saul got him off twice.

3. Hank- by the time Saul enters BB, he already knows Hank. Except that Dean Norris doesn't want to or have time to be in BCS

4. Gomez-same with #3- he knows Saul, and I definitely expect him to make a cameo

5. Hector- maybe before he's wheelchair bound

Here's who we won't see:

1. Any of the Whites- none of them know Saul prior to Badger's bust.

2. Jesse Pinkman- although he could, he'd have to be really young and I'm not sure it would work.

3. Badger

4. Marie

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Am i the only one who loves the show because i miss bb so bad?

16. dandorotik

No. That's a large part of this audience. There's no way a show like this sets viewing records without something like BB. The question is- is it sustainable on its own? Most will give it at least one season. For the BB fanatics, they might give it 2. But if it seriously goes downhill, you'll see the numbers go down. Otherwise, all spinoffs would be high in viewership. But Joey and Aftermash are proof that no matter how good the original is, if the spin-off sucks, it won't last more than 1 or 2 years. After 5 episodes, it's clear that this is certainly very good and not in the category of the abovementioned ones- whether it's going to be at the level of a Frasier- or a Godfather Part II- we'll have to see after this and possibly the next season.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Yes or no.

Is the show any good?

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes, but a slow start because it's mostly character development and setting up future events now. But still, great entertainment and acting.

1 person likes this.
  19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I must be the only person who likes this show that isn't constantly comparing it to Breaking Bad or constantly thinking about Breaking Bad when watching it.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was trying to keep track of the Rockets game while watching last night, so I may have missed it but.....

Was there any significance to Chuck calmly getting up and saying "someone's gotta make the coffee." Was that his way of admitting his condition is BS?