1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Wall Street Journal] NBA Players suffering ACL injuries come back better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hocash, Mar 3, 2013.

1. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Their shooting is significantly better going forward.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323384604578326451812887938.html?mod=e2tw

In case there's a paywall (I subscribe) here is the text:

Athletes who tear an anterior cruciate ligament will inevitably face questions about whether they'll ever be the same.

In basketball, when players return from this injury, many of them definitely aren't the same: They're better—at least when it comes to the crucial area of midrange shooting.

Because the rehabilitation for the injury allows them to stand, but not to do anything vigorous, NBA players who suffer it find themselves making do by playing what amounts to an endless game of H-O-R-S-E.

Nene, a Washington Wizards center, was a 23.8% shooter from midrange before he tore his ACL in 2005. Since then, he's knocking down about 41% of his midrange attempts.

Before tearing his ACL in 2008 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers, Jason Smith shot a below-average 36% from midrange. Since returning, he's shot 45%, including 50.3% (78-for-155) this season playing for New Orleans. "It kind of gives you a laser focus on shooting, because it's really all you can work on for a while," said Smith. "Now, my midrange jumper is a big part of my game, where it really wasn't before."

In coming months and seasons, this funny little example of unintended consequences is headed for a series of high-profile tests. Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose, 24, tore his ACL in last season's playoffs, a year after becoming the youngest person to win the NBA's Most Valuable Player award. Last month, Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo, a then-26-year-old, four-time All-Star, tore his right ACL.

Just two weeks ago, the player many had projected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft, Kentucky's Nerlens Noel, tore his left ACL.

Can these players really expect to emerge as better midrange shooters?

To find out, the Journal looked at 34 NBA players who have torn an ACL since 2003. To factor out the effects of age, we limited the sample to the 20 players who were 26 years or younger at the time of the injury. Since coming back, those players have shot 42% from 16 to 23 feet—up from 38% before their injuries, a fairly significant improvement.

That statistic looks even more persuasive when you consider that for players in that age range who have spent at least five years in the NBA and did not sustain an ACL injury—midrange shooting actually declined to 39% in their most recent season from 40% when they were rookies, according to Stats LLC.

Among those showing improvement after ACL work are Utah's Al Jefferson and Los Angeles Clippers guard Willie Green. Memphis guard Tony Allen's midrange shots stayed the same after ACL surgery, while former Orlando forward Pat Garrity's became slightly worse.

The sample is likely to grow: In 2012, when labor talks delayed the season and dramatically reduced the number of days off once it began, five NBA players suffered ACL injuries, up from an average of less than 3.5 over the last decade.

Rose and New York Knicks guard Iman Shumpert went down within hours of each other last year on April 28, the first day of the playoffs. Days later, Knicks guard Baron Davis tore his ACL. All five of last year's victims were point guards.

Over time, ACL surgery has become much less intrusive—enabling players who were once sidelined for a year or more to return within eight months, if not sooner, which might start to reduce the improvements to shooting.

David Altchek, a knee surgeon and NBA medical consultant, forbids his players from doing any basketball-related activities for two months after surgery to allow swelling to go down. After 12 or 16 weeks, Altchek says he allows players to begin doing "light shooting," meaning set, stationary shots rather than jump shots.

But in months four to eight, he says, the medical protocol is shoot, shoot, shoot.

"Your knee isn't even strong enough to do jumping for a while," said Shumpert, a 22-year-old who made his season-debut in January. "It's a lot of set catching and shooting; probably more than I'd ever really done before."

In the weeks ahead, the league will become fixated on the return of Rose, perhaps the highest-profile NBA player ever to sustain the injury in his prime. He's begun to practice fully, but the Bulls remain cautious and haven't publicly discussed a return date. Rose's teammate Richard Hamilton, long seen as one of the game's best midrange shooters, said it wouldn't surprise him if Rose improved.

"There's two things I've noticed about him: One is his body, and how much strength he's added through his rehab. The other is how much time he's spent on that midrange, standstill jump shot," Hamilton said. "The only way to improve at something is to work on it, and everyone knows how hard he has been working on it."

Rose says he may not return until next season. And he plays down any talk about his midrange shooting. "I'm working on my shot," he told reporters, "but you're not going to label me as a shooter [when I return]. My game will always be driving."

If Rose does come back this season, don't expect to see his advances right away: these improvements tend to emerge in the second season. Smith of the Hornets, for instance, was just 32.4% from midrange when he returned in 2009.

"You just have really heavy, fatigued legs that first year back," Smith said. "I felt like I was coming up short on a lot of my shots. It takes a while to get used to your legs taking that pounding again."

2. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Main thing I don't like about the statistics they compiled is that it only covers midrange shooting (16-23 feet). If strength of the legs/knee is an issue, I'd be interested in seeing 3 point and at the rim percentages. Both require more athleticism, I believe, than the mid range shot.

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i don't know if i got better after i tore my acl but i definitely had to change my game. instead of relying on my athleticism and explosiveness, i had to work on my jumper and defense to stay relevant.

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Another thing this article does not take into consideration is that players in general tend to get better as gain more experience. Many examples of guards that can't shoot when they first come into the league then a few years later they are good shooters. Has nothing to do with ACL injuries and more to do with practice.

5. Major

Major Member

They did talk about that a little:

That statistic looks even more persuasive when you consider that for players in that age range who have spent at least five years in the NBA and did not sustain an ACL injury—midrange shooting actually declined to 39% in their most recent season from 40% when they were rookies, according to Stats LLC.

Basically, their "control group" got slightly worse over the 5 years they were in the league.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

That could mean they re simply taking more shots....and different shots. It's difficult to judge without knowing players tendencies over the carouse of 5 years.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

An improvement of 10% seems pretty large to say coincidence.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Interesting. IIRC, Michael Jordan had a pretty serious injury early in his career that caused him to miss almost a full season. He was not known as a good jump shooter out of college. I wonder if Jordan's shooting improved during the time he was out with the injury?

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Anything on meniscus injury? Ok ... better not go there :grin:

10. CertifiedTroll

This statistic was souley based on Adrian Peterson

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

12. jae713

jae713 Member

I just had surgery two weeks ago. I can see where they are getting this from. My knee is not strong enough to do anything but shoot. It's not even strong enough for a jump shot right now.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

pretty soon we're going to see high schoolers intentionally having acl reconstruction surgery like pitchers and tommy john.