1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Miller's Role Expanding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 6, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Question for the board. What has a more beneficial impact overall on our offense: Yao's low post game, or Miller's passing and shooting ability?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7326081.html

[rquoter]
    There was little chance on the final shot, a falling heave of a 3-pointer that Brad Miller could not get off cleanly. But as it fell far short of the rim in the last second of Saturday's overtime loss in Chicago, Miller fell to the floor and remained there, as if he was stunned his last chance came up short.

Miller could have thought of the previous 3, a far better look that missed. He could have, in that moment alone on the United Center court, lamented the final seconds of regulation when Derrick Rose drilled his trey to force the overtime.

Yet sometime between getting up in Chicago and returning to Houston for a make-or-break portion of the Rockets' schedule, he also could reflect upon how much had changed so quickly, with even his role in those crushing final seconds an example of how vital he has become to the Rockets' recent upturn.

Even with the overtime loss in Chicago, the Rockets won three of five games last week, with Miller's job growing as a cross between a 3-point gunner and the even rarer role as a point center.

"When Brad is out there, he makes those plays and makes those passes," guard Kyle Lowry said. "He knows the offense like the back of his hand. It's always good to have a veteran guy like that."

In just 22.8 minutes per game, Miller averaged 14.6 points and 3.4 assists in the past five games. He has made 64.1 percent of his shots in that stretch.

Providing a boost

Even with the dud in Dallas, the offense took off, averaging 108.4 points, with Miller making up for much of the loss of offense that came with Aaron Brooks' and Yao Ming's left ankle injuries.

"It's been a learning process," Miller said of the adjustments that were delayed when he had to miss the preseason with his own left ankle injury. "Obviously, we still don't have AB or Yao. In practice, we put me over there to try to help out the second team. I don't really care about shots. I try to help guys do the right things, get the right shots, keep moving, bring a little old energy to them.

"Old guys never complain about missing training camp, but I think if I would have been able to be out there … we might have been able to take that learning curve … in training camp."

The Rockets have become increasingly adept at running the motion portions of their offense with Miller in the high post. His shot has been key, with Miller's 50 percent 3-point shooting percentage ranking fourth in the NBA. But beyond those expected abilities, there are still occasions when he makes his slow drives to the basket, always beginning with a pump-fake, and either gets to the rim or draws the foul from young and athletic big men .

"Normally, they're worried about that first step," Miller said. "I'm so slow, it's about my eighth step by the time I get there.

"I always enjoy when I hear, 'You play so slow, you can play for years.' It is funny to me. I don't go in there fast. I don't jump over anybody. I grew up learning how to play smart, use angles. I tell the young guys, 'You have to slow down.' They don't ever understand it until they play a couple years. It's not about going 100 miles per hour. It's about knowing when to do those spurts."

Helping Hill

Jordan Hill has been the latest young guy he has been entrusted to mentor, as he did Joakim Noah in Chicago.

"Brad's solid," Rockets assistant coach Jack Sikma said. "He's not going to be in the wrong position defensively. Sometimes he might be late because he can't get there. But if he's solidifying our defense, there is less pressure on Jordan. He can be a rim protector. Then, offensively, if Jordan is in the wrong position, he'll maneuver him to the right position."

The mix has worked, even if Miller likely did not feel that way while lying on the United Center court.

"You can only do so much for young guys, but if you can do things they might not know how to do, and let them get good at the fun stuff, I feel like it takes pressure off them," Miller said. "I'm not young, and I'm not athletic at all. It seems to work."
    [/rquoter]

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Depends on who else is on the court.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Miller's shooting has really impressed me.

That guy is really efficient on the court.

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Miller fits the Rockets perfectly, a player that is good on one end and terrible on the other. :grin:

5. durvasa

Let's say:

Brooks
    Martin
    Battier
    Scola

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Well if Miller plays with those guys, they can shoot 55% and we will still be down.
    I like the Miller & Hill combo playing with Lee, Lowry and *sign* Budinger, Bud just need to get his shot back.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Miller will make the team acclimated to the motion offense a lot faster. So that's good. But Yao's low post game will be extremely important comes the grinding playoffs time -- if we get to the playoffs, that is.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Even though Miller is ideal for Adelman's offensive system, Yao would create so many open looks for the Rocket shooters. Sadly, Yao not being able to stay on the court or being truly healthy will make it hard to compare.

9. durvasa

Question was about offensive impact, not defense.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

In that case, I am more 50/50, you know I like the Rockets winning games so it is hard not to factor in defense...

11. durvasa

In theory, yes. In practice, its never been that straightforward.

12. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

when a team needs to rely on brad miller scoring to win, you know there is something wrong.....

Still, we have become the complete opposite of what we were under JVG, we can score but we can't defend, back then we can defend, but we can't score.....

13. yaomingyaoming

What has the motion offense won anything? No championships.

Brad Miller is perfect for Adelman run offense. A point Center who can shoot 3s, or make passes.

It seems as if Adelman has now chosen Miller over Yao. Yao is basically, secondary to Miller. This is the eventual conclusion of hiring Rick Adelman. He likes players that fit his system. Yao does not fit. Yao fits in a half court offense.

Darryl Morey needs to make a decision, a difficult but logical decision. Trade Yao for assets, maybe a star player that fits Adelman's system.

Next year, Yao will go to a Championship contender as a super role player. The Lakers, Orlando, Miami, Chicago are all good options.

My prediction: Yao is done as a Houston Rockets after this year. The Chinese fans will root for Yao in another team, possibly the Lakers. And next year, the clutchfans.net will have much less traffic and posters.

The Houston fans will cheer and be happy to get rid of the perpetual Yao injury drama. They like Yao the person, but have grown to hate his injury.

So, Daryl needs to make a decision. Logically, it's sound, but for many other reasons, it may be hard to move on without Yao. Yao's days as a super star franchise player are over. He can only be a super Role player now.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well in the opener vs the Lakers we kind of saw that and it looked successful but didn't see it much in the Nugget and Hornet games. I'll stick with that theory because double teams usually create those open shots and Yao is a good enough passer to find open shooters.

I will say this, however, with Lowry starting and not Brooks the need for Yao isn't as great and Miller could workout better because the lane wouldn't be as clogged for a guy like Lowry who penetrates more then spots up.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I thought I was watching the Jazz offense with Miller being Mehmet Okur the way he was draining 3s the other night. I don't know if he can hit the 3 ball regularly like that, but if he can he's a bargain.

16. yaomingyaoming

I totally disagree with you. Yao has always created open shots for his teammates. Teams have always doubled sometimes tripled Yao.

So your statement, "In theory yes, in practice no" is false.

17. durvasa

I'm sure there are many fans in Houston that don't think this way and want Yao to stay on and retire as as Rocket.

18. durvasa

That wasn't my statement.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Miller to replace Brooks at starting point...

20. yaomingyaoming

That's bull. If the clutchfans.net is any indication, I think Houston fans want to move on from the Yao era. They are simply tired of his injury problems. And I don't blame the Houston fans either.

Yao at this point, needs to think about Championships. He's made his money, so next year, a 5M / year contract with a team like the Lakers is ideal.

It's a fantastic option for Yao Ming. I hope he moves on from Houston to a real Championship caliber team. He can win several rings with the Lakers.