1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. G-Money

G-Money Member

Sure he has built a team with some nice depth, but he has made some questionable signings and trades.

Miller - 3 years, $15 million

Lowry - 4 years, $24 million

Ariza - 5 years, $33 million

Also the trade that sent Ariza to New Orleans and Courtney Lee to Houston. I would have kept Ariza but i guess that trade was just a salary move.

People thought he was some kind of wizard when he managed to get 2 draft picks from NY. But now, those picks don't see as valuable anymore because Knicks are probably going to be in the playoffs.

The only thing I see Morey excel at are draft picks.

Good draft picks: Brooks, Landry, Budinger

Bad draft picks: Joey Dorsey

You could also debate Morey made a bad trade when sending Landry to Sacramento.

But the question I ask is...do people on this site overrate Morey?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like DM, a lot....but I think he is a bit overated in general.

He has to bring this town a championship contender......

So far, I give him a B+.....but I think lots of people overate him on this board.

DD

3. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Best deal EVAR.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

This team's depth still makes it better than last year's, so I give credit to DM for that. RA's coaching decisions though have been head-scratchers.

I would have liked to keep Ariza but I think that was a two-way move. He really thinks Lee would be good for us. If not and the Rockets suck this year, we just give JJ away at the trade deadline and we're under the luxury tax again.

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Your absolutely right. His only success in the team was his draft picks. The trade for Martin was not that great. We gave up a 20+ mill salary and a monster (toothless and bullet proof) for a princess and a coin flip.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Knicks aren't making the playoffs, problem is we may not either... :confused:

Love what Morey has done but the clock has begun to tick. All these assets where meant for something big, so i'll wait to see what that may be.

7. MD_in_Training

DM is a damn good GM. But that doesn't mean he's not overrated. People on this forum just think he's God.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

so you question both the trevor signing and trading?

ummm.......

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope not at all. There are limitations to GM. Even great GMs have to get lucky sometimes and that has NOT happened to Morey.

Look at the Lakers getting Pau right in there lap, along with the Celtics. On teh flip side look at West's tenure in Memphis, he did not do a good job but was still always considered a good GM.

Not Morey's fault Yao goes down every year. Morey made a legit contender with the Tmac-Artest-Yao pairing. Too bad two of those guys did not finish the season. Had nothing to do with Morey, and since then he has re-tooled the roster around Yao.

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I don't think so. He has made some questionable signings but his ability to trade and draft (Dorsey was a 2nd rounder, no idea why people expected much from him in the first place) has been very good. He is better than CD (flame suit on).

Miller and Ariza were overpaid, I will give you that.

Lowry's deal was market value. He has been hurt the first few games of the year but nobody can deny his defense/toughness/ability to push the ball. I'd rather have Lowry for 4 years $24M over Ridnour for 4 years $20M. He is probably one of the best backup PGs in the league. Its like you completely forgot how important Lowry was off the second unit last couple of years.

I liked the Landry deal, KMart is an absolute stud. Ever since that deal, Scola has blown up (beasting if that is a word). And we were able to acquire Jordan Hill (work in progress but great potential) and the Knicks picks (2 1st rounders is 2 1st rounders). Keep in mind that TMac is pretty much a deadweight.

Also don't forget the Scola deal (we pretty much got him for free).

When it comes to evaluating talent, Morey is with the best of them.

11. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Without a shadow of a doubt yes. He can take his stats and go home.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think DM is beggining to realize that you can have all of the good character stats guys all day and it doesn't translate into victories. Shane, Bud, Chuck, Scola, Miller, and Hill are getting schooled by the 3, 4, & 5's consistently. Can't jump and no quickness.

DM, get smart and get something for Shane, Jeffries, Lowry, and 1st Pick

13. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

Morey can only collect the pieces. Its up to Adelman to arrange them

14. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

The Ariza trade was bad.
    The Landry trade was worse.
    now free agent wanted to come here.
    the Miller signing, Brent Barry signing.....are the worst.

15. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Scola trade? Lowry trade? McGrady trade?

Second round picks aren't guarantees. You're not always going to get a contributing player. Hard to qualify Dorsey as a second round bust Early to mid first round picks like Patterson could be considered bad picks if they turn out to be a disappointment.

16. BleedRocketsRed

Scola is getting schooled? Are we watching the same Scola?

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

We had Carl Landry and we traded him for Martin. Not looking so good.

18. roxfan4life00

roxfan4life00 Member

Morey can throw his stats in the garbage. You win in the NBA with "superstars", not a team full of role-players.

19. BleedRocketsRed

Barry was like 2 years at the vets min.

No free agent wanted to come here because we didn't have any money.

Ariza trade was bad? We unloaded a big contract at a position which we had a logjam at for a cheap young solid backup 2.

We got Kevin Martin in the Landry deal. I can name alot more trades worse than that.

1 person likes this.
  20. BleedRocketsRed

To be fair, Yao was our superstar.