1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He needs a Jerry West type - at his level - I suggest Rudy T.

DD

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Voted no, but that's only recently. We had for awhile.

Crazy how this time last year like 99% of Clutchfans thought Morey shouldn't be fired.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think some of you do. But overall, I think he is a very intelligent and valuable GM. Anybody can find a diamond among a field of diamonds, but DM excels at finding later 1st early 2nd rounders who can do it all and contribute right away. We've had a lot of successful 2nd round picks and maybe that isn't as flashy as star players, but that's all you can get when you want to remain competitive rather than tanking for a high draft pick.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Moranic is correctly rated.

He has fallen off a cliff this season, Ty Lawson deal looks worse and worse by the minute

5. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

One major deficiency of Morey is he doesn't hold on to his players and let them grow. He treats players like commodities to buy and sell.

6. caneks

caneks Rookie

I never overrated Morey, he is below average.
    If Morey was fired 6,7 years ago like I wanted, would Rockets be in better situation than today? Absolutely. At least, Rockets would have foundation to build around. Harden is MVP in this team, but he is not the needed foundation for this team.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think Morey is poisoning Les with his dirty Kool aid. Hes going to marry her daughter and take ownership of this team. Where is William Wallace?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Morey is not below average. Below average is not making the playoffs at all.

His best trait is also his worst - he's a tinkerer. He wastes talent and messes with chemistry by flipping pieces too much. He's more of an economist than a basketball mind. But - he turned a plodding roster into two superstars and no one here - as late as the Ty Lawson trade - would have expected the dropoff that occurred this season.

Most of this sudden reversal of fan opinion is a natural reaction to the 87 game slow motion train wreck we just watched. But remember how confident / optimistic we were around the time of the Lawson pickup? Read that thread. What's going on now is all 20/20 hindsight seeing how all of these players regressed at the same time.

I'm willing to give Morey an offseason to do some more major tinkering, and then make a verdict.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

He's the type of guy that during sex when the girl is saying "keep doing that, I'm about to come", he will change it up just for the sake of changing things up. She will still get hers but it won't be as satisfying

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Breh, you've been on a barrage of ether rain spittin troof bombs.

Not sure the moridiots will be able to grasp the analogy or relate to the act though, there isn't a PER for it.

1 person likes this.
  11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

it wont matter, they are all hiding. i guarantee they will come out of the woodwork once a news is "leaked" by KD's agent that the Rox are on his list. Everyone will splooge themselves and say look how great of a splash maker Morey is. Then after KD signs somewhere else, we find out a couple months later we are on his list, just not the list we wanted to be on.

12. dmoneybangbang

And that guy has 9 straight seasons of wining despite going from 2 declining/broken superstars to the AB/Lowry/Dragic debate to trading for Harden to pairing Harden with Howard?

Puh-lease, stop talking about your medicore sexual conquests.... It's just sad.

Morey is among the Spurs and Mavs for winning over 500 for as long. But hey.... it's all a bunch of sexual luck or whatever......

13. dmoneybangbang

I wish you'd post your thoughts when Morey traded for Harden for a bunch assets....

But the "what have done for me lately" approach is en vogue with the knuckle draggers or sexually frustrated.... :confused:

14. dmoneybangbang

Because it's 2009 and front offices don't employ analytics departments....

It must be lonely being the Shaq and Barkley's of the world... making fun of the smart people who innovate the world. Stuck in a simpler time.....

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I've never overrated the mediocre Maury.

16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Morey has names for his calculators

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thought I'd hit "show post" and see this, and you disappoint me by being completely wrong again...just like every other time.

Here it is and it might blow your mind...

I'm pro analytics.

The two best teams in the league have the best analytic departments in the game, which is no coincidence. That being said, they use it as a supplement as opposed to the overreaching tool like the rockets (which is why you have a blatant disregard and acknowledgment for things like chemistry--hint it was probably the single biggest reason for our failure---even according to Terry, a champion and seasoned veteran.

What I am opposed to is stupid people googling PER and using wiki to learn their stats online, and in a frame where they have only seen it applied to basketball. Glancing over people like yourself, its easy to say you have a very poor grasp over some very fundamental principles. Go to a community college or talk to an underpaid grad student if you want and ask him/her what two of the biggest pitfalls are----lack of contextual awareness in which to apply (x),(y),(z), and the naive tendency to imply causality at every chance.

As someone that has published scientific articles---where you kinda have to implement rationalized and appropriately used statistical measures to stand by your data, please, take what I'm saying to heart and don't embarrass yourself any further. You spam stupid takes, which makes hard to even begin to have an intelligent conversation (notice how everyone ignores you?), don't read posts properly, and act like this is some sort of crusade. You keep going down this route you'll be a larsv8. Don't be a larsv8 man. Royce White supporter extraordinaire, "chemistry doesn't exist and is useless because we can't quantify it" ----level of delusion.

A lot of people comment on every page, and I'd rather not have to sift through garbage so you'll stay on ignore until the GARM has settled down. Be well.

18. dmoneybangbang

HAHA. Well let's see....

So despite the recent Chron article coming out about JVG and how him and Morey interacted with each other, you and your ilk still keep pushing that narrative?

Despite Morey repeatedly stating stats/analytics aren't the only tool in his toolbox.

Why do you keep sticking to this false narrative?

Hyperbole aside, where we the chemistry issues when we had Harden, Lin, and Parsons? Where were the chemistry pre-harden years?

I don't see how it's been blatantly disregarded.... It simply hasn't worked out with Howard and Harden.

And yet here you are creating narratives about chemistry and "overreaching analytics".

I too have published as a microbiologist/biochemist who studies microbial growth in catheters.

Have you actually paid attention to what you spam with? A bunch of snipes at Morey.

Because you run away when the fire gets hot and ASSume a lot of things.

19. hakeemthagreat

Moreyball is his biggest failure. No GM who's a numbers guy, with no basketball background, should be dictating a NBA offense. That's the COACHES JOB!!! But ofcourse Morey doesn't believe in coaching so there you

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think it's wrong, but that isn't the only way to play and win. Our Championship teams won because of Hakeem's spectacular all round play which opened up the 3 and he was the anchor of our defense. In our 2nd run, Clyde brought great versatility with his drives. We can't win by being one dimensional.